Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pes 6 reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I'm supposed to be doing one for the PS2 for E-W. Apparently it will be done by tomorrow... We'll see. It'll be a mixed bag anyway, I'm not overly impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

dar83 wrote:
    I'm supposed to be doing one for the PS2 for E-W. Apparently it will be done by tomorrow... We'll see. It'll be a mixed bag anyway, I'm not overly impressed.

Are you ever?

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

That eurogamer review is really worrying me. I've the PC version in the post but I was really looking forward to online play !

Is it really almost unplayable online ? I've heard SO many conflicting reports :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Man the reviews and comments from people are all over the place. I seem to remember loads of people complaining about not being able to score and such and they're saying the same thing this year so it seems clear that you have to get fully used to each new game. I don't know though i'm still kinda stuck between getting it or not but i'd say i'll probably enjoy it seeing as PES5 is the only game i ever play anymore . I'd be getting it on the ps2 and that seems to be the best version but i just wonder if its worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I dunno. I was playing it on the 360 for the last few days and have found quite a few areas of the game to be unbelievably frustrating.

One is the speed issue - it's more or less impossible to outpace defenders with your forwards. Gets a little old after a while. It does influence you into playing a better passing game, but still.

Another thing is the passing. Now there is no power bar on the "a" button. True, you can perform manual passes with the right analogue stick, but it's really annoying that each time you hit "a" teh player taps off a pathetically weak ball, often to an opposing player. I've found that the through balls are actually a better bet for close passing.

Then there is shooting from outside of the box. It's pretty much impossible to get a cheap shot off, even if you have loads of space and are shooting with a great long range player. Always too weak.

Having said that, the game does have some sweet new additions in play. Better refs, squaring up in defence automatically, and all the realism of previous releases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

One is the speed issue - it's more or less impossible to outpace defenders with your forwards. Gets a little old after a while. It does influence you into playing a better passing game, but still.

If you get past a defender speed doesnt matter, players a burst of speed over 5 yards like in real life, press R1 twice or 3 times to perform it and press in direction you going in, pressing it 3 times pushes it far away so make sure your clear when you do that one.

Another thing is the passing. Now there is no power bar on the "a" button. True, you can perform manual passes with the right analogue stick, but it's really annoying that each time you hit "a" teh player taps off a pathetically weak ball, often to an opposing player. I've found that the through balls are actually a better bet for close passing.

Push hard on the analog stick to perform hard passes (been that way for ages) Hold L1 and press Cross 3 times to perform a low hard skimmer pass.

Then there is shooting from outside of the box. It's pretty much impossible to get a cheap shot off, even if you have loads of space and are shooting with a great long range player. Always too weak.

Aim hard with the Analog and shoot on players prefered foot, i have belted in plenty of screamers with Ronnie and Eto, Messi has a **** shot tho.

Odd complaints tho.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

pinksoir wrote:

I played it for a while today in smyths on the ps2 and was fairly impressed. Noticed a few nice little things even in the short time playing it like joe cole tapping the ball just past the defender and running around the oppostite side, and the slide tackling is really nice. Graphics seem good too
    Regarding the speed of players i found it the opposite, i couldn't catch the forwards at all for some reason. I know what you're saying about the passes, they do seem a bit weak sometimes but it did lead to some nice play around the box and like all things i'm sure there's a knack to it as KdjaCL said.
    All in all, i think i'm gonna have to get it, although i might wait a few weeks til after my birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

i would have to say that i was basing my criticisms on the 360 version. i have been plaing the pc version for the last few days and am pretty satisfied with it. far, far better than xbox.

Advertisement