Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to position myself in the marathon?

• 26-10-2006 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm entering on Monday, but unfortunately, due to dodgy ITB bands, I won't be running the whole route. I'll be combining running and walking, with running taking preference. It's disapointing, but at least I'll still get to do it.
    I'm attending physio so hopefully next year I can run the whole thing.

Anyway, I'm wondering where I should position myself in the race. Should I start with the walkers, and work my way forward, or maybe start towards the back of the runners? This is my first time, so I don't really know what to expect.

Do many people combine running and walking?

Cheers,

K.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Redfraggle

Hey,

One thing is for sure DON'T start with the walkers... Remember that you will be running most of the race and this means that you will probably run a few miles at the start before you slow down to a walk. If you start with the walkers and start running you will only ger frustrated... Start with the runners slightly behind your normal class. Run conservatively with them and then when you feel the need for a walk break the roads will have cleared up a bit and you can run or walk as you please after that. Believe you me you will see a lot of people jogging/running for a while and then taking a much deserved walk break. I would personally try to avoid walk breaks as much as possible as its very difficult to get going after one. Maybe slow your running pace down and walk less - however only you know what your body will be able for. One thing for sure you can't do and thats get involved with going out too fast at the start. Swallow your pride (hard to do I know) and gradually ease yourself into a nice running rhythm. Remember as you are adopting a run/walk philisophy and time is completely irrelevant. Make sure you enjoy the race and most importantly come home uninjured.

Best of luck and enjoy your run..

Red:D :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

Good advice Red...

It doesn't matter whether you're walking the whole thing or hoping to do sub 2:30, it's never a good idea to start out too fast!

I've seen a few postings about where to start in the race, with advice being given saying ignore the signs, and start closer to the front then the time you're aiming for would suggest, so that you don't get stuck behind walkers etc. Of course, this is self-perpetuating. If I ignore the signs, and start where I want, I can hardly give out that other poeple are doing it too. If everyone stuck to the signs, there wouldn't be a need to avoid slower people!

I'm aiming for 4:30, and I'll be start at the 4-4:30 section. If this means that I run past walkers for the first while ( even though I'm deliberately starting slowly ), then fair enough.

Anyhow, take it easy Kev, I hope the knee holds out, and enjoy it!

J.

Advertisement