Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel Gauge Challange!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Hasn't happened to me yet, touch wood :D

I heard it's very bad in petrol cars to run out as it damages the catalytic convertor, not sure why?

Cannot be true cause every time you switch off the engine, or coast to a stop, the fuel is effectively cut off, just like you ran out of petrol....
    May... only may, ruin your fuel pump if it is running dry, or your starter/battery if it does nto start up quickly, but again that is unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

Used to often run out in my student days when it was a choice between beer tonight or petrol tomorrow :rolleyes:
    My mother rang me yesterday and I answered the Phone "How's it going?", reply: "It's not going!"... Says she came out from a shop and car won't start so I think to myself it's a Yaris and the only reason a toyota won't start is either a dead battery or no petrol so ask did she leave the lights on, answer definite no. Is there petrol in it, answer: I never thought of that :rolleyes:
    "The petrol thingy is flashing, does that mean it's out of petrol?"
    Her excuse was that my father normally fills it.... He hadn't driven the car in nearly 6 months and last time he did he filled it because the petrol guage was flashing then too :D
    How long does petrol take to "go off" ?:eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Not quite the same but..

Last week I was driving our 307SW and at whilst waiting to turnup the Well Road from Douglas the light came on. 300 metres later the car ground to a halt - no movement until we topped her up.

Advertisement