Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

edge insulation in floor

Options
  • 26-10-2006 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

i have been telling my builder for months to make sure to put edge insulation around all walls before putting down the screed. they started the screed today and i went up to check this evening and they have the upstairs finished (hollowcore} but they only put the insulation around the external walls so i called the builder and have informed him that he has to get it sorted tomorrow morning by cutting out the outside edges and putting it in.

i believe that its a building reg in the UK to have edge insul around internal and external walls. does anyone know if its a regulation here aswell so i can quote it in the morning if theres a row. he was trying to tell me its only needed around external walls but thats not what i specified that i wanted.

thanks
    P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Well the norm would be to only put it around the external walls.
    However this pic might be what you are looking for....

I only put it up against external walls, however if you want to insist on internal too, get him to do downstairs but I think you'll regret him fixing upstairs for you... because it isn't really possible and any attempt will make ruin the upstairs screed.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,133 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Edge insulation is required for ground floor only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

muffler wrote:
    Edge insulation is required for ground floor only
    I suppose its more or less impossible to determine if a builder has carried this out or not post-completion right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 pdeery

i went up to the house this morning and was able to pull out some of the insulation to find that it was only gone 1inch into the 3inch screed so the builder is up there now with a consaw and trowel making it right.

P

Eurorunner wrote:
    I suppose its more or less impossible to determine if a builder has carried this out or not post-completion right?
    Most builders will put the insulation down the side of the sub floor which is fine so yes it will be near impossible to determine what has been done without the use of heavy duty drills and/or a kangoo.

Anyone getting a house built should always check that the insulation is in place prior to pouring sub floors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Folks,

Just a quick question! What exactly is edge insulation. I have my rising walls built and filled. The radon barrier is down and the builder has laid out the insulation slabs and has placed steel over it. Is edge insulation a 'special' trim or something or is it just the insulated sheets that he has already laid down. Its due to pour on friday so the more help I can get on this the better!!!

When the sub floors are poured over the insulation sheets/slabs they will be tight to the external walls. At this point you will most likely have no insulation in the cavity so you will end up with a small strip around the external walls of the house which will be cold as it is solid mass from the cavity right through to the sub floors.

In order to avoid this and preserve heat that is built up in the sub floors and to prevent cold coming through from the base of the cavity wall small pieces of the insulation sheet are cut off and fitted tight to the external walls before the sub floors are poured. When the floors are poured they should end up just about flush with the end of the top of the edge insulation. If I can get a detail of this handy I will post it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

What you're trying ot achieve is an overlap of 225mm between the cavity insulation and the floor insulation to minimize the thermal bridge at that junction. Stand 25mm Kinspan up at the edge of the walls (External and internal - ground floor only) and insure that you cavity wall insulation starts at least one block below this (or if internally insulated - meets with the upstand) These thermal bridges are actually a massive factor in doing the new DEAP calculation to prove compliance and assess the enrgy label - but never mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Thanks for the help folks!
    I'm putting in a finished floor so do I need to worry about this edge insulation yet? I dont yet have a cavity wall started and have a single block on its edge all the way around the house. will I be safe enough if the insulation is tight to the block on edge. I'll try to get a pick this eve to explain what I mean, but it might be too dark!!

Advertisement