Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions

Options
  • 26-10-2006 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

Looking for some opinions here please.

Looking to change the car and have the following in mind:

Hyundai coupe 1.6 Petrol
    Ford Mondeo 2.0 TD
    Vw Passat 1.9 tDi

Any got any feedback either positive or negative on these cars?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you're buying a Mondeo, please avoid the LX, non TDCI 90bhp turbo diesels, you'd be quicker walking.

Coupe's nice looking, but based on the Elantra, so will drive like one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Strange choices to have a petrol coupe in the midle of 2 family diesels.

Passat all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Previous experience of Mondeo and Passat. I think the Mondeo would have the comfort edge for long distance driving (>500km), whereas Passat not bad for <100km trips.

Mondeo is unkindly referred to as Rep Wagon, but I had 5 great weeks driving through France/Spain. That said I did 60,000km in a Passat in Germany + most of Europe, very good car with basic looks and comforts.

Hyundai is a raffle prize and ....!!

Sorry Mondeo was Petrol, and Passat TDI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

passat need a say any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Car Mad wrote:

possibly, the OP is looking for feedback or opinions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Car Mad wrote:

It would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

ive been told that the LX mondeo is bog standard, If im getting a passat get a red tdi 130bhp and the coupe is nice looking and thats about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

In relation to the Mondeo:

There are 4 common engines in Ireland

TDDi 90bhp
    TDDi 115bhp
    TDCi 90bhp
    TDCi 115bhp

(there is also a TDCi 130bhp, and a 2.2 TDCi, both of which are rare here)

The TDCi 115bhp is probably the best engine to go for, and is normally available in "Zetec" or higher spec from around 2003 or so.

The engine is essentially a transit block so it is well able for abuse. Some people have had trouble with things like injectors, EGR valves and dual mass flywheels, but I don't think there are any serious problems there.

The mondeo is a great car to drive, and is easily better than the 2006 model Passat. Main dealer parts are cheap, and ford service is poor enough, but at least it isn't too expensive.

I am of the opinion that Ford make more reliable cars than the Japs or Germans, but I am sure many will disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

ive been told that the LX mondeo is bog standard, If im getting a passat get a red tdi 130bhp and the coupe is nice looking and thats about it!

Depending on which spec Passat you go for, the Mondeo LX could be better specced. 2001 Passat Highline didn't get A/C as standard from what I remember, but the Modeo LX always did. 90ps is a bit slow, but I've driven much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

maidhc wrote:
    In relation to the Mondeo:

There are 4 common engines in Ireland

TDDi 90bhp
    TDDi 115bhp
    TDCi 90bhp
    TDCi 115bhp

(there is also a TDCi 130bhp, and a 2.2 TDCi, both of which are rare here)

The TDCi 115bhp is probably the best engine to go for, and is normally available in "Zetec" or higher spec from around 2003 or so.

The engine is essentially a transit block so it is well able for abuse. Some people have had trouble with things like injectors, EGR valves and dual mass flywheels, but I don't think there are any serious problems there.

The mondeo is a great car to drive, and is easily better than the 2006 model Passat. Main dealer parts are cheap, and ford service is poor enough, but at least it isn't too expensive.

I am of the opinion that Ford make more reliable cars than the Japs or Germans, but I am sure many will disagree.

Thanks maidhc.

At the moment its between a Passat tdi 130bhp comfortline and mondeo TDCi 115 / 130 bhp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If you can find a Mondeo diesel Executive / Ghia model it represents great value for money over the equivalent Passat - but you'll need to hold on to it until it dies as the second hand value is dropping like a stone. (Exec / Ghia models got the 130ps engine).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

EVERY Zetec Mondeo from 2000 (new Shape) gets -
    1-power/heated door mirrors
    2-dual stage drivers + pass airbags
    3-front seat side airbags + side curtain airbags
    4-cd player with remote stalk
    5-quickclear front windscreen
    6-rear centre armrest
    7-3 rear head restraints
    8-cfc-free AIR-CON
    9- Front + rear Electric windows(with 'bounce back' sensors & global closing.
    10- remote central locking(double locking)
    11- ABS brakes
    12- Front Fogs
    13- Alloy wheels
    14- factory fitted Alarm(primeter)

And from JAN 2004 (facelift model) Zetec Gets-
    1- emergency brake assist
    2-Electric Sunroof
    3-leather wrapped steering wheel & gear Knob

from may 2005 Zetec also got-
    1-new 16" alloys
    2-Air con with Electronic Automatic Temperature Control(climate)
    3-cruise control.
    all as standard:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

We're looking at an estate at the mo for second family car (5 yr old or so) what you get for your money in the Ford is streets ahead of the VW - depreciation really works to your advantage in that market.

Advertisement