Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Hotel in Cork??

Options
  • 26-10-2006 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭

Could someone recomend a decent hotel in Cork City for a weekend break?

Good restaurants advice would be very much appreciated too...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I stayed in the sheraton Fota ISland a couple of weeks ago and it was the best I've found in Cork. If that is too far outside the city for you then I would recommend the Clarion. I would avoif Hayfield manor as I hae found it very much overpriced. These are all quite pricey. I know a new juriys was opening this week. That might be worth looking into as they may have opening offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Clarion is quite good (with fantastic beds) and it's quite centrally located.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

New Jurys, the Hayfield Manor, the Clarion (Very central). Restaurant wise, Il Primo, The Ambassador Chinese, Taste of Thailand, Milano, Rossinis, Jacobs on the Mall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭betelgeuse

A colleague of mine stayed in the Kingsley recently (opp. County Hall) and was well impressed.

I'd take the Clarion over the Kingsley. They're about the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Thanks for all the advice. I'll probably enquire for the clarion.

Any decent vegetarian restaurants to recommend?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

It has to be Cafe Paradiso!!

there is one really amazing one, cafe paradiso. Expensive for a veggie place and the dining room is a bit cramped but the food is top quality.

oh yeah i think i read about that place in the irish times a little bit back....it does rooms as well doesn't it!!!!?

Best Hotel in Cork is Hayfield manor beside UCC

http://www.hayfieldmanorhotel.com/

I've stayed there a few times,its 5 star luxury and in the leading hotels of the world collection.

• Advertisement

I have to disagree. I've stayed there and most other hotels in Cork and I found it shabby.

ned78 wrote:
    rossini's
    Yes yes yes!
    Thats a lovely Italian restaurant with veggie menu's.
    Been there anytime I've been in Cork,its on princes st.

Theres also a fab posher restaurant - perrot's in Hayfield manor,its got a few awards (though they do have posher still called the manor iirc but that has a dress code).

Dont know where you got that impression Hunny.
    You're talikng to someone who's stayed in the peninsula in NY,the Ritz in Paris and Sandy lane in Barbados amongst many othersand I certainly wouldnt call Hayfield shabby.
    Untill the fota island opened,it was the only 5 star hotel in Cork and that isnt given lightly

I can't compare it to Sandy lane but I've been to other two. I've also been to most of the highest rated hotels in Europe and I don't like Hayfield. I realise it may just be my (and the people I've stayed there with) opinion but that's how it is. It's certainly not worth the prices they charge.

Well you compare it to the price of the westin or the four seasons in Dublin for price and see how you get on.
    Compared to those two HM is similar in style and quality imho.
    You can do a w/end in the HM for €200 per night.
    You are not going to get a 5 star in Ireland for less than that unless its on a week night and its a slow week.
    I suppose for different reasons people have different opinions.
    Were you there just once? I know even the likes of Sandy lane could give a bad vibe to someone on one stay that would colour their opinion unless they complained.
    I've no connection with HM what so ever but I wouldnt go back to it 5 or 6 times if I wasnt impressed.

Oh and try Sandy Lane ;)

Westin Dublin is right in the middle of the capital city. Hayfield is is Cork. and not slap outside something liek trinity college. I love Cork to bits and I'm in the process of relocating from Dublin to Cork but similar quality hotels will not attract the same prices in the two cities. ousekeeping in the westin is of a better standard too. I have nothing against Hayfield it's just that there are better quality hotels at better rates in Cork. If nothing else was available I wouldn't have a problem staying there.

Tris, yep sandylane is definately on my list to get around to. So many holidays I need to take but work keeps getting in the way :-) you're right I've only stayed in HM once so prehaps you're right I just got a day when the housekeeping staff were off and everyone else was grumpy because of the extra work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ryaner77

Sorry for stealing this thread but has any1 every stayed in that Carrigaline Court Hotel & Leisure Centre ??

staying there for a weekend in two weeks and was wondering what people think of it ???

cheers

ryaner77 wrote:
    Sorry for stealing this thread but has any1 every stayed in that Carrigaline Court Hotel & Leisure Centre ??

staying there for a weekend in two weeks and was wondering what people think of it ???

cheers

trust me you are not the one stealing it...!!!!!:D

Ach thats ok.
    The point I'll make to you though is that you can get a bad stay in any hotel including even Sandy lane ( I was there last june ) and it wasnt a bad stay it was non stop brilliance.It couldnt be compared to any hotel here.
    There are people on trip advisor that will diss the Westin in Dublin too on account of a bad stay but I can honestly say house keeping was grand in the HM including turn down on all my stays there.

As for costs,you'll pay dear relative to international prices for a 5 star in Ireland-blame our legendary rip off Ireland for that.But you will get a room next door to the four seasons in Balls bridge in a 4 star hotel for half the price of the four seasons and thats supposed to be because price is related to service levels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭betelgeuse

Lads, thanks for this fascinating insight into how the "other half" live :D

Do either of you know Michael Winner by any chance?

Advertisement