Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion Homework?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

robindch wrote:
    > Certainly its impossible if you don't try in the first place.

I notice that you haven't addressed the point that I was making: that there are far, far more religious schools in this country, than there are non-religious ones, and that the non-religious ones are way over-subscribed.

Thats a duh point. What exactly do you expect in Ireland where religion has been and still is such a huge part of the culture and everyday for centuries? Do you expect that to vanish overnight? Its only in the last 20-30 years that the church is in decline. Which is no time in comparision.

There was a similar thread somewhere else about this. There are choices. You need to look them up. The religious ones in my area are over subscribed probably more than the non religious ones. Its looking like no one will be able to start in the local parish school till almost 6yrs old. Who knows what will happen over the next few years. We've been in the area for decades but we won't get a space. Its done purely on the age of the child nothing else. So you could move here tomorrow and get space before us if you kids are a day younger than ours. We'll probably be forced outside of the area.

Still this is getting to be a tired argument. It starts of with people saying theres no choice near them, then you find theres a non religious one in their area.

But if I do send them to a non religious school I won't be surprised by religion not being taught. :rolleyes:
    robindch wrote:
    (your second reply was made to a post which wasn't mine :))

Well I'll let the admins know then because I got a subscription mail with that post in it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> Do you expect that to vanish overnight?

If religious indoctrination were made illegal in state-funded schools, then yes, it would disappear pretty much overnight.

However, religions still have a fair amount of political clout. Last week in the UK, the government's mooted plans to mandate that religious schools should have at least 25% of their intake from other religious castes were junked, since all the religions cried foul.

One point worth considering: people wouldn't accept Fine Gael, Fianna Fail, Sinn Fein or communist schools. So why do they accept the existence of catholic, protestant (etc) schools?

(btw, that other quote came from RainyDay here.)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dalila

If you don't mind me asking Zynks, have you approached the teacher at all? I teach in a Church of Ireland school and we have a lot of children of different religious beliefs in our school. The school ethos is Church of Ireland and as such we teach religion to the children. However, if I was aware of parent objection to their child taking part in the lessons there would be no problem at all for me to give them alternative work whether in the classroom or in another classroom. If, however, I was unaware of the parents feelings, I would naturally presume that the parents were aware of the ethos of the school and therefore had no objection to the child being involved in the religion classes. I cannot speak for all teachers but in my case, and that of many of my colleagues, if you had objected to the homework the child need not have done it and a quick note from you to explain why would have been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

dalila wrote:
    If you don't mind me asking Zynks, have you approached the teacher at all?
    No, I haven't but I intend to. The original post was a request for advice before I do it since this situation is new for me.
    dalila wrote:
    I cannot speak for all teachers but in my case, and that of many of my colleagues, if you had objected to the homework the child need not have done it and a quick note from you to explain why would have been fine.
    If that is the response I find from my child's teacher I will be very happy indeed, thanks!

Any change of tone is in your imagination.
    I was referring to your comment: "If you believe that strongly about avoid religion then living in a predominately RC country is a bit shortsighted isn't it." That comment only made sense if you thought I am an immigrant and indicates a rather intolerance position in my view.
    Its called emphasis.
    OK, I misinterpreted it. In netiquette, it is considered shouting.
    Theres no logic to what you are saying. If you don't want the kid to have religious education then don't send them to a school with religious education.
    My issue is not with religious education, but with the way it is done. Based on your logic, children would still be beaten in schools just because that is how it was done and everybody should know about it.
    Certain changes are good, and this is one that I feel would be good for my child. I will take dalila's suggestion and hope to find a tolerant response.
    or at the very least let them know of your wishes. You've done never. Its either laziness on your part or you want to cause conflict for some reason.
    I understand your point but don't agree. Questioning the status quo can be a source of conflict, but not necessarily. Conflict is normally a result of intolerance on one or more sides and is not my objective. Change is the result I am targeting.
    You have created this situation, and now you are going to circumvent the authority of the teachers and school by not dealing with the issue in this way. Thats just pathetic IMO.
    :eek:
    Obviously you don't understand the analogy. Forget it.
    OK, forgotten.
    If you were really worried, you should have made arrangments with the school before now or chosen a different school. I don't what there is to debate. Your inaction has brought you and your child to this point. Nothing else. Its not like teaching religion was a sudden unpredictable change of policy. You've had time to deal with this and you simply haven't.
    As I said before, I will be talking to the teacher. I think you are imagining a different scenario. There is no conflict at this stage and there is no need to change schools because of this. I do disagree with the forceful nature of the way religion is handled, but there are options within the school from what I can gather. It is down to my child's preferences and all I did was make him aware of what I believe are his rights.
    By the way, I did enquire about how religion was handled when we signed him up. I was told there was no involvement of priests and that religion was handled in a "light" way with respect for the kids individuality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 dhidra

Zynks wrote:
    Here is a line I really like:

Quote:
    To believe in God or in a guiding force because someone tells you to is the height of stupidity. We are given senses to receive our information within. With our own eyes we see, and with our own skin we feel. With our intelligence, it is intended that we understand. But each person must puzzle it out for himself or herself.
    Sophy Burnham

would you tell your child that there was no santa claus and let him decide whether he wanted to believe you or not?
    at 7 years of age, a child does not posess the maturity to assess the religion of the catholic church and decide whether he believes in it or not.
    there is a lot more the the Alive-O programme than praying.. ask the teacher about it.

dhidra wrote:
    would you tell your child that there was no santa claus and let him decide whether he wanted to believe you or not?
    at 7 years of age, a child does not possess the maturity to assess the religion of the catholic church and decide whether he believes in it or not.
    there is a lot more the the Alive-O programme than praying.. ask the teacher about it.
    Santa Claus is quite an analogy :p I never say to my kids that god exists, nor did I say he doesn't. The closest we got to discussing this was when he asked me if god was dead? I explained that some people believed in god and others didn't. For the people who do believe in him, he is alive, but not in the way we are alive (heart beat, breathing, etc). I tried explaining about omnipresence, which appeared to help him a bit. He also asked if god was male or female, but that's another story.
    I am happy with the principle that god is not exclusive to any church, and as such I would avoid talking specifically of the church to my kids. I do however think he is able to have a feel about god's existence.

Zynks wrote:
    I was referring to your comment: "If you believe that strongly about avoid religion then living in a predominately RC country is a bit shortsighted isn't it." That comment only made sense if you thought I am an immigrant and indicates a rather intolerance position in my view.

No it means why continue to live in a country if you feel strongly against religion in schools. It applies equally to everyone who lives here. Emmigration to better oneself, or your family has been part of Irish history for generations. I make no distinctions about where people are from. Only that people living here could not be unaware of the Irish school system. So don't invent meanings that don't exist to make it about something its not.:rolleyes:
    Zynks wrote:
    My issue is not with religious education, but with the way it is done.

If thats the case why did you not find out in more detail how education is taught before your child started? If you were that particular about the methods used, I can't believe you just did nothing about it, and waited till now.

It like a person who calls out directions after you've passed the turn.
    Zynks wrote:
    Based on your logic, children would still be beaten in schools just because that is how it was done and everybody should know about it.

That makes no sense. Who didn't know about corporal punishment? Its been used for centuries? :confused:

Its more like you know theres corporal punishment in a particular shool, disagree with it, or its method, then send your child anyway, and only address the issue when you child comes home having cane/belt marks on their hands.
    Zynks wrote:
    Certain changes are good, and this is one that I feel would be good for my child. I will take dalila's suggestion and hope to find a tolerant response.

I understand your point but don't agree. Questioning the status quo can be a source of conflict, but not necessarily. Conflict is normally a result of intolerance on one or more sides and is not my objective. Change is the result I am targeting.

Theres a good way to approach these kind of problems and waiting till after the fact is probably the most annoying way to go about it.

Teachers will/should always respect a parents wishes, unless they conflict with something else. The only way to know is to ask them. Not ask your kid to stand up for himself and find out the information 2nd hand. You hadn't said you were going to talk to the teachers before now, so we could only assume its something you hadn't intended to until now.
    Zynks wrote:
    By the way, I did enquire about how religion was handled when we signed him up. I was told there was no involvement of priests and that religion was handled in a "light" way with respect for the kids individuality.

Well if you were that particular about how religion was taught, you should have asked "particular" questions then shouldn't you. ;)

dalila wrote:
    ....if I was aware of parent objection to their child taking part in the lessons there would be no problem at all for me to give them alternative work whether in the classroom or in another classroom. If, however, I was unaware of the parents feelings, I would naturally presume that the parents were aware of the ethos of the school and therefore had no objection to the child being involved in the religion classes. ...

Thats the point I was trying badly (and failing) to make but much much better made. :)

robindch wrote:
    > Do you expect that to vanish overnight?

If religious indoctrination were made illegal in state-funded schools, then yes, it would disappear pretty much overnight.

However, religions still have a fair amount of political clout. Last week in the UK, the government's mooted plans to mandate that religious schools should have at least 25% of their intake from other religious castes were junked, since all the religions cried foul.

One point worth considering: people wouldn't accept Fine Gael, Fianna Fail, Sinn Fein or communist schools. So why do they accept the existence of catholic, protestant (etc) schools?

(btw, that other quote came from RainyDay here.)

Its historical obviously.

Check out the Japanese approach.

• Advertisement

No it means why continue to live in a country if you feel strongly against religion in schools. It applies equally to everyone who lives here. Emmigration to better oneself, or your family has been part of Irish history for generations. I make no distinctions about where people are from. Only that people living here could not be unaware of the Irish school system. So don't invent meanings that don't exist to make it about something its not.:rolleyes:
    I didn't get the impression that that was your point, and still don't.
    Living in another country sure is a good eye opener. If you haven't done it yet, you should give it a shot. But what makes you think people will become more accepting of these education policies by living abroad? My guess would be that opinions might change further against the status quo.
    If thats the case why did you not find out in more detail how education is taught before your child started? If you were that particular about the methods used, I can't believe you just did nothing about it, and waited till now.

It like a person who calls out directions after you've passed the turn.
    I don't think things have to be so black or white. Yes, maybe I should have asked more questions, but I didn't. So what? Have I lost my rights to do something about it because of that?
    That makes no sense. Who didn't know about corporal punishment? Its been used for centuries? :confused:
    Yes, but it changed, and not thanks to people who with a "love it or leave it" way of looking at it.
    Its more like you know theres corporal punishment in a particular shool, disagree with it, or its method, then send your child anyway, and only address the issue when you child comes home having cane/belt marks on their hands.
    And what options do you suggest parents had in the "old days"?
    Theres a good way to approach these kind of problems and waiting till after the fact is probably the most annoying way to go about it.
    Maybe you are a person with a clear view of the future, envisaging difficulties and differences in opinions who can prepare in advance to handle them without hurting any one's sensitivities. Unfortunately, I do not possess such virtues. Guilty as charged!
    Teachers will/should always respect a parents wishes, unless they conflict with something else. The only way to know is to ask them.
    Agreed and I intend to do so.
    Not ask your kid to stand up for himself and find out the information 2nd hand. You hadn't said you were going to talk to the teachers before now, so we could only assume its something you hadn't intended to until now.
    I thought I mentioned that on post #4
    Well, the discussion with my kids happened at 7pm. At 9.36 I had made up my mind that I needed to talk to the teacher.
    So where did I commit such a mistake in your eyes, was in the 2.5 hours gap or in informing my child about the rights I believe he has?
    Maybe I should have mentioned that my son is a very mature 7 year old, who is fair, quite articulated and fairly independent in his views.

> Check out the Japanese approach.

Can you be a bit more specific here, as I'm not quite sure what you're getting at! ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Zynks wrote:
    I had a chat with my son and explained to him about different religions and paganism, and said that whatever he decides to believe in it is his choice and no one elses.
    Then help him make an informed choice
    I also told him he can tell his teachers about that,
    This is not his fight. He's 7, he can't stand up to a debate with an adult.

Zynks wrote:
    I didn't get the impression that that was your point, and still don't.
    Living in another country sure is a good eye opener. If you haven't done it yet, you should give it a shot. But what makes you think people will become more accepting of these education policies by living abroad? My guess would be that opinions might change further against the status quo.

The education system in ireland is very different from other countries. So you might be happier with the system in another country. Its that simple.
    Zynks wrote:
    I don't think things have to be so black or white. Yes, maybe I should have asked more questions, but I didn't. So what? Have I lost my rights to do something about it because of that?

No its just a really annoying why to deal with things
    Zynks wrote:
    Yes, but it changed, and not thanks to people who with a "love it or leave it" way of looking at it. And what options do you suggest parents had in the "old days"?

In Ireland, emmigration. Or go to a alternative school system where theres alternative teaching methods. If enough people vote with their feet/wallet then the system will change itself.
    Zynks wrote:
    Maybe you are a person with a clear view of the future, envisaging difficulties and differences in opinions who can prepare in advance to handle them without hurting any one's sensitivities. Unfortunately, I do not possess such virtues. Guilty as charged!

Its not about sensitivities, its just a poor way to deal with problems.
    Zynks wrote:
    I thought I mentioned that on post #4
    Well, the discussion with my kids happened at 7pm. At 9.36 I had made up my mind that I needed to talk to the teacher.
    So where did I commit such a mistake in your eyes, was in the 2.5 hours gap or in informing my child about the rights I believe he has?
    Maybe I should have mentioned that my son is a very mature 7 year old, who is fair, quite articulated and fairly independent in his views.

Your original post was about being surprised by the child getting religious homework. This is apparently after you having a talk with the school about how religion is taught. Unless you have a really bad memory I don't see how you can be surprised.

Even then if you are only suprised at the approach and are that particular about how its taught, then it doesn't make sense that you didn't look into in more detail at the start. IMO.

Sending a child to discuss it with their teacher is not right approach. Thats just common sense.

robindch wrote:
    > Check out the Japanese approach.

Can you be a bit more specific here, as I'm not quite sure what you're getting at! ta.

How they teach religion in Japanese Schools.

> How they teach religion in Japanese Schools.

...which is how? I always thought that Shinto was primarily a family thing and didn't have much place in schools, but I've never read up on it and I could be completely wrong. What's the deal with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dalila

Zynks, I think you are right to try and talk to the teacher yourself it may clear the whole thing up for you quite easily! I also thought it might be a useful idea for you to ask the school if they have a layout of the topics covered over your child's schooling. Again I am speaking from a Church of Ireland perspective but in the senior classes the children do look at other religions. The following has been taken from the overview of the strands for 3rd - 6th class in Church of Ireland schools.

"Other Faiths:
    By separating ‘Other Faiths’ into a separate strand for 3rd – 6th one does not assume the necessity of covering these faiths in the same detail or under the same headings as Christianity. It is hoped, however, that children will become aware of and sensitive to the beliefs and practices of those of other or no faith(s) who may be part of their school or local communities. This will be dealt with in greater detail in post-primary school through the Junior Certificate Programme."

I do realise that a lot of people feel differently about religion these days but please do not automatically think that all schools are trying to indoctrinate your children, again I can only speak for my school, but that really is not our agenda!! We respect the choice of both parents and children and we accomodate to the best of our ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

Zynks wrote:
    This should be optional. If my son decides he wants it, I support him. If he decides it's not for him I will also back him. Wouldn't you?

I want him to take ownership of that decision.

I will if he decides he doesn't want it. He said he will think about it.

Seems like a pretty weighty decision for a 7 year old!
    I get you about wanting your son to have the freedom to think for himself but even the most mature of kids that age would have a problem reaching a decsion on that imo. If you have issues with your son partaking in religion class talk to the teacher as the others said- but i would see thos more as a thing of inclusion than anything else- being the odd kid out in the class at that age can be tough!

Ye sadly most schools are church run and so do give a fairly catholic/chistian based religion programme but if you want to counteract this keep informing your son about different world religions and beliefs and secular human rights codes...
    Dont worry about him growing up in a bubble once he's older the schools teaching wont be hugly important-i for one couldnt have had a more "catholic" upbringing yet i decided though thought alone (no problem or issues with the church per se) that i didnt buy in to most christian teachings!

Yes it is a decision your son should make for himself hes lucky to have a parent who encourages this independance of thought-but there's plenty time for him to think over it when hes older and wiser!

robindch wrote:
    > How they teach religion in Japanese Schools.

...which is how? I always thought that Shinto was primarily a family thing and didn't have much place in schools, but I've never read up on it and I could be completely wrong. What's the deal with it?

Tell you what let me know where you live and come and search the web for you, read it for you and then transfer the info using Osmosis :)

http://religiousfreedom.com/Conference/japan/Sugihara.htm
    http://www.answers.com/topic/religion-in-japan
    http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1371666

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

Why do you assume because his religion homework was to read a prayer, that his teacher is making him pray? Maybe the teacher just wanted the class to read over the prayer so that they could talk about it the next day in the class or something. I don't think anyone can actually force someone to pray. It's something you have to mean. You can say the words over and over again but it doesn't follow that what you're doing is praying. I presume this isn't the first piece of religious homework that your son has had to do. So why is it only now that you have the problem with it? Regardless of the subject in question, if a child is partaking in the class, the child is required to do the homework. You can't keep picking and choosing which bits you like and which you don't. Anyway, he'll be better able to make a decision, about Roman Catholicism at least, if he actually does the homework and finds out about it.

If you felt so strongly about your son making his own decision about what to believe in then I can't understand how you have let him partake in a religion class that's mainly focused on Roman Catholicism and otherwise left him to his own devices. It makes no sense. He's 7 years old. And anyway, regardless of how mature you say he is, it's unfair to expect him to be able to make an informed decision now and to be able to explain his views to his teacher. I don't think it's fair to burden your child with such a responsibility at such a young age.

I think you're copping out by saying that you didn't forsee this. You presumably knew, when you decided to send your child to the school, that you would want him to make his own decisions about religion. You knew religion would be taught as a subject. Based on the fact that you're not religious, it should have stood out as a subject. It's not hard to see that there could possibly be a conflict of interests somewhere down the line. It's not like these sorts of things often happen with subjects like maths. It would have been prudent to address the issue when the child was joining the school, making your position on the matter known to the principal.

Since that is looking to the past, maybe as a possible solution you could look for a general religious studies class outside school for your son to make sure that he is getting a more balanced approach to religion. Then again, he is 7. I don't think I would have appreciated such an in depth study of theology at that age.

• Advertisement

> Tell you what let me know where you live and come and search the
    > web for you, read it for you and then transfer the info using Osmosis

Sincere apologies for asking you to explain what your point is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I've been following this thread and didn't have time to respond til now. A couple of observations. (I teach in a "RC" school by the way).

Do you actually know any teachers? Just because the schools are owned by the church doesn't mean the they're staffed by religious zealots. I couldn't care less if you practice black magic at home. If you had an objection to your child being taught religion I'd expect you to tell me though. The conversation would take about 30 seconds:

Zynks: I'd prefer if my child didn't take part in religion class.
    Me: OK, does he stay in the room and read a book or leave the room?
    Zynks: Insert choice.
    Me: That's fine. Bye now.

I'd be a bit stunned if a 7 year old approached me to discuss the rights and wrongs of religious education if I'd never heard a word on the subject from his parents! (It'd brighten up the day though).

Two pieces of advice: Read your child's religion book (it's fairly wishy washy stuff) and go and have a friendly chat with the teacher (you'll find he/she is actually a human being who understands where you're coming from).

robindch wrote:
    ...Sincere apologies for asking you to explain what your point is :)

No problem. I'll try type slower for you :)

> No problem. I'll try type slower for you

Excellent! It should give me enough time to fill in the gaps you leave between what you type and what you want to say :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

As the other teachers here already said, this is a storm in a teacup really. If the school is based on one religion's ethos, then that will be taught in the school. If the teacher is an athiest, he/she will still teach the religion of the school, because thats his/her job in that school.

Now.. logistics. 32 children in a room, 5 dont do religion and parents have opted them out, they read library books for religion time. Lovely. No problem there.

Other option, the children go out to Ms. R's room for half an hour. Lovely.

The option I feel you want, that the child can sit in and do religion but not the homework, isnt a runner. A) Its confusing the child, i.e. Do you think what Mr. S is saying is rubbish? Do you son? Do you? The other children then look at this child and say well fek it.. if he's not doing his homework in religion, Im not doing mine in English. Confusion again.

The teachers will bend over backwards to help your son and come to whatever arrangement you like, but not if it causes problems with all the other children. The day I send someone around the class to collect the books so I can correct them and say, oh but little Johnny dosnt have to do homework in this, is the day I'll have a pint size riot on my hands.

This is an easily solved problem by talking to the class teacher. I dont think you can expect him/her to allow your child to opt into a lesson, and out of the homework though. I wouldnt go for it anyway. It'd cause too much confusion with the other children, who I'm also responsible for.

The last thing I want is 20 parents at the gate saying, I hear homework is optional now? Explain that one! Everyone knows opting out of Religious education is fine.. but its in.. or out.. not in between. That will cause problems in the class that go further than your issue.

Oh, and finally, please do not encourage your child to challenge the teacher's presentation of the curriculum in front of the class.. its not for a 7 year old to do that, or a 16 year old. Its the kind of issue that gets solved at an easily arranged meeting between the parent, the teacher and the principal.

dalila wrote:
    I do realise that a lot of people feel differently about religion these days but please do not automatically think that all schools are trying to indoctrinate your children, again I can only speak for my school, but that really is not our agenda!! We respect the choice of both parents and children and we accomodate to the best of our ability.
    Thanks Dalila, your input has helped me see the situation with less concern. I will post the result of my conversation with the teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Zynks wrote:
    Thanks Dalila, your input has helped me see the situation with less concern. I will post the result of my conversation with the teacher.

Zynks, Im quite sure the outcome will be a relaxed and relieved one for you. Its so much easier for us to accomodate a parents wishes where possible than have it on our minds that something isnt right.. if you get me.

Best of luck :)

Shellie13 wrote:
    Seems like a pretty weighty decision for a 7 year old!
    I guess it depends on how it is done. I didn't say to him that he has to make a choice. I am just making him aware of different religions and telling him that he doesn't have to do what anybody tells him about religion. I want him to feel he has the freedom of choice without the burden of having to choose.
    Shellie13 wrote:
    I get you about wanting your son to have the freedom to think for himself but even the most mature of kids that age would have a problem reaching a decsion on that imo.
    Absolutely! Terefore, they should not be pushed to make such decision.
    Shellie13 wrote:
    If you have issues with your son partaking in religion class talk to the teacher as the others said- but i would see thos more as a thing of inclusion than anything else- being the odd kid out in the class at that age can be tough!
    Agreed, it is a delicate issue, and that is why I wanted to hear other opinions like yours! As I said before, the issue is not that I don't him in the religion class, but I want to make sure he doesn't feel he must "buy in". The homework was particularly messy because we make a big case of him taking the other homeworks (maths, english, etc) seriously, and I couldn't approach the religion homework in the same way. That is the stage where this whole issue started for me.
    Shellie13 wrote:
    Ye sadly most schools are church run and so do give a fairly catholic/chistian based religion programme but if you want to counteract this keep informing your son about different world religions and beliefs and secular human rights codes...
    Agreed. I am working on it already.
    Shellie13 wrote:
    Yes it is a decision your son should make for himself hes lucky to have a parent who encourages this independance of thought-but there's plenty time for him to think over it when hes older and wiser!
    Thanks and yes, he has all the time in the world!

lacuna wrote:
    if a child is partaking in the class, the child is required to do the homework.
    I see no benefit whatsoever to my kid's intellectual or spiritual development in doing religion homework. I also don't feel competent to assist him in doing this homework as directed by the teacher. But more important in my view is that religion is a choice and home work in the subject crosses a line that it shouldn't. But hopefully we will find a solution at the meeting with the teacher.
    lacuna wrote:
    It makes no sense. He's 7 years old. And anyway, regardless of how mature you say he is, it's unfair to expect him to be able to make an informed decision now and to be able to explain his views to his teacher. I don't think it's fair to burden your child with such a responsibility at such a young age.
    That is one of the key points, he doesn't have to make a decision.
    lacuna wrote:
    Based on the fact that you're not religious, it should have stood out as a subject.
    Who said I am not religious?
    lacuna wrote:
    Since that is looking to the past, maybe as a possible solution you could look for a general religious studies class outside school for your son to make sure that he is getting a more balanced approach to religion. Then again, he is 7. I don't think I would have appreciated such an in depth study of theology at that age.
    :p Yes, I don't think he would appreciate it either. But this exposure to other religions can be done in more subtle ways, and I always make an effort to explain in an interesting way to him. The most extreme example was explaning Arpu's (The Simpsons) culture and religion when he had to marry the woman his parents had arranged for him. I wished I knew a bit more about Hinduism...but religious homework for daddy is OK, so I am working on that one.

• Advertisement

If you had an objection to your child being taught religion I'd expect you to tell me though. The conversation would take about 30 seconds:
    Zynks: I'd prefer if my child didn't take part in religion class.
    Me: OK, does he stay in the room and read a book or leave the room?
    Zynks: Insert choice.
    Me: That's fine. Bye now.
    The conversation is more likely to be:
    me: I want my child to aware of Catholicism and other religions. I appreciate the work you are doing in helping him understand Catholicism, but I need him to see religion differently from other school subjects, and I feel religion homework blurs this boundary. Would it be possible for him to be excused from this homework?
    killbillvol2OK: OK, does he stay in the room and read a book or leave the room?
    me: he stays
    killbillvol2OK: That's fine. Bye now.
    I'd be a bit stunned if a 7 year old approached me to discuss the rights and wrongs of religious education if I'd never heard a word on the subject from his parents! (It'd brighten up the day though).
    Interesting thought :) , but no, I wouldn't expect him to discuss the rights and wrongs. In case he decided to use the "powers" I delegated to him, it would be more like "excuse me, mr./mrs./miss killbillvol2, my daddy said that I can decide if I don't want to do religion work and I would like to be excused"
    Two pieces of advice: Read your child's religion book (it's fairly wishy washy stuff) and go and have a friendly chat with the teacher (you'll find he/she is actually a human being who understands where you're coming from).
    That is the plan for next week. Thanks for your input.

Advertisement