Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion Homework?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

The only why you are going to resolve this properly is by going through the teachers planned religious syllabus and coming to some arrangement with the teacher yourself. Which if you knew you were this picky about it, you should have done at the start. Why should religious education not have homework?

As your son is so astute, why don't you ask him does he want to do the class or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Trotter wrote:
    Oh, and finally, please do not encourage your child to challenge the teacher's presentation of the curriculum in front of the class.. its not for a 7 year old to do that, or a 16 year old. Its the kind of issue that gets solved at an easily arranged meeting between the parent, the teacher and the principal.

I understand your concerns. It is always good to see the other side of the story, and this sure is something I must consider. I have no intention of undermining my son's teacher. She is a very good teacher and he has progressed fantastically this year, though the work we do at home also has influenced this (he actually has been banned from maths competitions because he keeps winning them every single time :D )
    Trotter wrote:
    Zynks, Im quite sure the outcome will be a relaxed and relieved one for you. Its so much easier for us to accomodate a parents wishes where possible than have it on our minds that something isnt right.. if you get me. Best of luck
    Thanks!

The only why you are going to resolve this properly is by going through the teachers planned religious syllabus and coming to some arrangement with the teacher yourself. Which if you knew you were this picky about it, you should have done at the start. Why should religious education not have homework?
    I see homework as a mechanism to ensure the lessons of the day "sink in". Religion shouldn't need that.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 dhidra

Why should religious education not have homework?

good point. i'd just like to point out that the main purpose of religion homework is to provide a link between school and home, to let the parents know what is being covered. it has obviously served its purpose here for you Zynks, so long as you do follow up on it if you have issues with the religion curriculum. it's always better to communicate.

Homework is simply work that is done at home. What the teacher uses it for is often dependent on their own preferred teaching methodology. It could prep work for another class, it could be further reading, it could be an exercise designed to prompt someone to reflect on their own opinions and ideas of a subject. I know little about it, but I thought religious education is theology, and that usually is studied. So Homework would be expected as with any subject.

I can only assume you disagree with this teachers specific exercise of reading a prayer. Was an objective given?

You said earlier that you don't want your child to be forced to be a catholic. That being the case I don't understand why you send your child to RC school and let him attend RC religious class with out checking out what exactly is being taught? That doesn't make sense. You could have asked for him not to attend that class from the start.

• Advertisement

You said earlier that you don't want your child to be forced to be a catholic. That being the case I don't understand why you send your child to RC school and let him attend RC religious class with out checking out what exactly is being taught? That doesn't make sense. You could have asked for him not to attend that class from the start.
    I think we have covered this sufficiently. Please check my replies to your previous posts.

But it is interesting to see that you understand that there is an element of coercion in children being sent to RC school and attending RC religious class.

Zynks wrote:
    I think we have covered this sufficiently. Please check my replies to your previous posts.

It still makes no sense.
    Zynks wrote:
    But it is interesting to see that you understand that there is an element of coercion in children being sent to RC school and attending RC religious class.

How is it coercion. You (or your parent for you) have volunteered to attend a RC religious class. You could have opted out. You chose not to.

It still makes no sense.
    I think I also proposed we agree to disagree. The offer stands.
    How is it coercion. You (or your parent for you) have volunteered to attend a RC religious class. You could have opted out. You chose not to.
    I was just picking on your own words: "You said earlier that you don't want your child to be forced to be a catholic. That being the case I don't understand why you send your child to RC school and let him attend RC religious class...". Sorry, I couldn't resist! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Zynks wrote:
    The conversation is more likely to be:
    me: I want my child to aware of Catholicism and other religions. I appreciate the work you are doing in helping him understand Catholicism, but I need him to see religion differently from other school subjects, and I feel religion homework blurs this boundary. Would it be possible for him to be excused from this homework?
    killbillvol2OK: OK, does he stay in the room and read a book or leave the room?
    me: he stays
    killbillvol2OK: That's fine. Bye now.

I could live with that, then again I never give religion homework anyway. :D That said, for preparation for communion or confirmation there needs to be some input from home. You should address that issue at the beginning of the school year involving a sacrament.

Zynks wrote:
    ...I was just picking on your own words: "You said earlier that you don't want your child to be forced to be a catholic. That being the case I don't understand why you send your child to RC school and let him attend RC religious class...". Sorry, I couldn't resist! :D
    Zynks wrote:
    My point is quite simple, really:
      Religion homework = forced and therefore wrong

I was quoting you, just not verbatim "You said earlier..." :)

It was your informed free choice putting them in that school and no exclusion from that specific class that resulted in your child getting religious homework. Thats not coercion.

• Advertisement

I could live with that, then again I never give religion homework anyway. :D That said, for preparation for communion or confirmation there needs to be some input from home. You should address that issue at the beginning of the school year involving a sacrament.
    Good point.

Advertisement