Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Short hair - should I do it?

• 26-10-2006 8:49pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thinking about cutting all my hair off - well, most of it anyway. I want to go to at least to a bob, if not shorter. I have fine hair and the longer it is, the flatter it is.

Is there a certain face shape that suits shorter hair? I have a sort of square face, with a strong jaw-line.

And can anyone recommend a good hairdresser?? I don't want them to mess this one up!!

thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Now are you certain you're going to cut your hair short, or would I be wasting my time trying to dissuade you from doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Are you a guy or a girl?

If you're a girl only do if you are short and have a skinny body.

If you're a guy then cut it straight away ya hippy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Emm no not 100% sure. Just something I have been thinking about for a while...
    I just wonder if there's some sort of rule for having short hair - like face shape or something

Well Im not skinny but Im not fat. And Im not short either! Im 5´10 size 10-12 on top, 12-14 on bottom (ill thank my mum for my hips when im giving birth...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

dont do it!!!!!!!!! my hair was very short a couple of years ago. granted i didnt choose for it to be that short. the hairdresser didnt listen to me and when i looked up from the magazine most of my hair was gone!!! only do it if you are sure it will suit your face shape. the hairdresser should be able to tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've short hair, tbh I'm very happy having it that way! I love the low-maintenance-ness of it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

It looks o.k. on petite, pixie faced girls. Otherwise, I don't really like it. It looks a bit butch. Butch isn't one of my buttons:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Pigman II wrote:
    Are you a guy or a girl?

If you're a girl only do if you are short and have a skinny body.

If you're a guy then cut it straight away ya hippy.
    Agreed.

Personally don't like short hair on girls at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

i did it last week.
    chopped it to a dido look when she had it flicked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I had to get my hair cut short (chemo) but have had long hair all my life - my hair would be very fine and it was never short in my life. I am a size 6-8, 5ft 2in (would normally a size 8-10). While it did not look bad (several people said that it looked great) I still felt that it was not me, I just love long hair. There are great things to short hair, washing it and styling it takes no time and you still have volume and I know myself that it looks good on me which was a suprise but I still felt that my long hair was part of me which was quite a shock.

The lady who did my hair was from Salon 19 in Drury Street - have known her for years but she did a brilliant job for me - I would suggest going to someone who really knows you well and will not leave you with a bad cut.

Having said that, look at Kylie - she looks wonderful with her short hair at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

just got all my hair chopped on tuesday
    I'd had it halfway down my back since I can remember,I got it shoulder length with layers!
    I have quite a square face too,and with the style I have now it frames my face and suits me much more
    I say go for it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Short hair is generally best on oval or heart shaped faces. If your face is long, you'll need to keep some lenght in it and layer it around your face. If you face is roung, don't do it! A square face is hard to call. It might work, if it was at least chin-lenght, but an "elfin" cut would be awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

Unless your fairly slender, don't even think about. And be sure to smile a lot, theres nothing more off putting a grumpy looking short haired girl:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I got my hair cut short again last week after letting it grow for 2 years and I love it. Some people attach a stigma to girls having short hair - fook them i say! It's your hair so why should they care! Anyhoos I couldn't wait to go to work the next day because some of the people I work work hadn't seen me with short hair but everybody said it was lovely etc. It's so handy and easy to manage - my hair is quite thick so it was a pain once it got to about shoulder length to dry it etc. It kept falling out from my jacket when i was on the bike so i would have dry hair where my helmet was and wet hair at the end! Anyhoos now that it's short again its no hassle and looks kind of cool (if i do say so myself).I even updated my cartoony avatar to show off my new style!! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Ok thanks guys - I think this time Ill go for a very short bob & see how I feel. If I like it, Ill go for the big chop next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭rainglow

Dont' do it!! Anything above shoulder length is tragic on a square face with a strong jaw - it's just going to exaggerate a manjaw. And I can vouch for this, having both experience of an angular jaw and a bob that made my face look three times its width when I was younger ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Am going to show 2 photos of me, one before and one after a massive hair cut, do remember the short hair cut has my glasses in instead of my contacts and is not the best photo (stupid webcam) but I think that I look well but different on the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

why not try a wig of short hair. A proper, well done one.

I can never understand why people in your position never try a wig to see if you like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Do it. If your not happy then wait until it reaches a length that you are
    happy with and keep it like that.

EDIT:If you keep chopping and changing you may never find the right
    length that suits you.

Advertisement