Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Network

• 26-10-2006 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

Im just after setting up my wireless network between my laptop (with a linksys wireless card) and a netgear router. They are able to pick each other up and talk to each other but it says that it cannot connect to the internet. I get the message that the reason is that it failed to establish a network address for the laptop. Im guessin its some problem with an IP address somewhere but im not sure how to fix it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Well, since you say your laptop and router are talking to each other I assume you can connect to the wireless network and since you say you get a network address error, I assume your router isnt giving you an IP for your laptop.

Can you confirm that you can actualy connect to the wireless network (go to Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections). Is the icon for your wireless network blue (it should say Connected, Firewalled..) or does it say something like Limited or No connectivity. If it says Cable unplugged or has a red X on it, then it means you are not connected to the wireless network.

If you can connect to the network but get that address error, first try power cycling the router and laptop, then if it doesnt work, go to the routers login page and under Advanced Settings select LAN IP Setup. From here you can see the IP address range used by the DHCP server. If the routers IP ends in .1 then set the DHCP start IP to 2 and the end to the same number of PCs you have on the network +2, apply the settings. Go back to the Network Connections window on the laptop and right click your wireless connection and then click repair. This will force the laptop to rerequest an IP. If it connects to the wireless network correctly it should get an IP from the router. If it doesnt then there is probably some other setting a miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I tried to get into the login page of the router but I wasnt able to. I typed the default ip address into IE but it wouldnt open the page. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to wireless

Advertisement