Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

advice on speeding in NI

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

sorry to go off topic , but whats the situation with the london congestion charge if you have an Irish plate ROI ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

admiralgar wrote:
    i posted a thread a while ago here about me being 'done for speeding' in the north. anybody who read the thread will know i was in court today for the offence.
    i was expecting a small fine..something along the lines of 40 or 50 quid, but i was fined £150 (about €300).
    i was a bit shocked by the amount that i was fined so i would advise anyone thinking of speeding on NI roads to think again, it isnt worth the hassle and expense. i have learnt my lesson and stayed at/below 70 on the m1 and 60 on the a1 on the way up and back down today.

gar

how did you get the summons to go to court? i would have ignored it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

EIN wrote:

Great idea - maybe it will go away on its own. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

EIN wrote:
    He was arrested and had to pay bail.
    Speed has zero to with accidents, but it sells newspapers and pads the speeches of politicians.
    Speed reduces available reaction time and increases severity. A car doing 70mph has 36% more energy than one doing 60mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Victor wrote:
    Speed reduces available reaction time and increases severity. A car doing 70mph has 36% more energy than one doing 60mph.

Care to quote a source for that?, surely it would be 70/60 = 16¾% roughly ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Longfield wrote:
    Care to quote a source for that?, surely it would be 70/60 = 16¾% roughly ?
    4900/3600

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=speed+energy+squared&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

Great idea - maybe it will go away on its own. :rolleyes:

yeah ignore it. unless its handed into your hand personally what can they do..
    say u didnt get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

EIN wrote:
    yeah ignore it. unless its handed into your hand personally what can they do..
    say u didnt get it.

by ignoring it you would be watching your back every time you drive in NI or the uk, its best to just pay the fine after getting your bail money back and learning from the experience, after all i didnt get any points; just a slap on the wrist and a sincere thank you from the very professional and courteous psni for going up and not wasting their time, the next time i go up (tomorrow) all i have to do is stay at the limit and all will be well, i dont have to watch my back,

gar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How much was the bail in the first place?

£300 bail and £150 fine, so i got £150 back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Were u travelling on Irish plates?
    Where did the PSNI get your details from?
    If you are in another jurisictions, I thought the PSNi couldnt be bothered getting after you, seeing as they have so many problems up there anyway..
    If you didnt go to court, would the gardai have arrested you and extradited you to the North for a speeding fine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They arressted the OP at the roadside. It took £300 bail to get out of the police station. If the OP didn't go back they would have taken his £300 and he would be watching his back for ever.

The Gardai would not be interested in such a small matter.

thanks for saying that bond, i couldnt face typing the original thread again

G Luxel wrote:
    Were u travelling on Irish plates?
    Where did the PSNI get your details from?
    If you are in another jurisictions, I thought the PSNi couldnt be bothered getting after you, seeing as they have so many problems up there anyway..
    If you didnt go to court, would the gardai have arrested you and extradited you to the North for a speeding fine?

oh feck it i may as well...
    yes i am on irish plates
    they got my details when they arrested me
    the psni are targeting southern drivers because of the loophole whereby points can not be issued to southern drivers because they arent in their own country. the gardai should be targeting northern drivers but thats another issue.
    the gardai would not have arrested me as the offence took place in another country that can not issue a summons to another country.
    like bond and i have said if i didnt pay the fine i would have lost the bail money and would have to be looking over my shoulder every time i go to the north (which is 2 or 3 times a week)

Advertisement