Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Emails

Options
  • 26-10-2006 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭

Just got another one of those retarded emails from the SU into my ucdconnect account, is there any way one can unsubscribe from this MUCK? but anyway at the bottom of the email they announced details of fair trade week which i guess is a good idea but i had to laugh that the highlight of it is......now wait for it................

"UCDSU is working with the World Aid Society to make UCD a Fair Trade campus. Fair Trade week is a campaign to raise awareness of Fair Trade, and will include a debate, free fair trade samples around campus, a fair trade festival featuring twister and more! For a full list of events click here"

come on twister, could they not have come up with somthing better!!

and also the part about the class rep's was looking down the list of candidates to see who my class rep was in the School of Art History and Cultural policy and its not even listed!! WTF?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i think computer services should offer an opt-out option for people who don't want to receive this rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

tintinr35 wrote:
    come on twister, could they not have come up with somthing better!!

After playing Twister not but two weeks ago I can confirm that it is still an ingenious contraption... until your mate states biting your neck/ear/chest in order to make you fall over...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

We're poor. That's the main reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I'm sure there's a way to opt out of getting the e-mails and going back to complaining about the fact that you never hear what the su is up to.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Could you not just add them to your spam filter or block the sender?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Could you not just add them to your spam filter or block the sender?
    yeah, I usually just report it as spam :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Ok people have been complaining about the SU being all righteous and going off class rep training and not treating everyone equally - then they do something to try and involve everyone or at least keep them informed. Then everyone just gives out about it, in all fairness you don't have to read it if you don't want to, it's not sent to your personal email, it's sent to your college email. And I know for a fact the SU don't have the email addresses, they have to submit it to computing services for them to forward it onto students.

Mary Clayton also sends one fortnightly to students to keep them informed yet people don't seem to complain about them. I don't happen to read either but I don't see the problem with them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Mary Clayton also sends one fortnightly to students to keep them informed yet people don't seem to complain about them.
    Don't worry, that gets reported as spam too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

I'm sure there's a way to opt out of getting the e-mails and going back to complaining about the fact that you never hear what the su is up to.

thats just it i dont give a f*uck what the SU are up to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

So just delete their emails.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You're making a fairly broad generalisation that the people who don't want to get emails from the SU (like the OP) were also the ones complaining about the SU not keeping us informed.

Apart from clearing that up, I don't really see the point of this thread. It looks like a gripe I suppose, which is fair enough.

Good to see someone didn't take the ban on the Rant/Piss/Moan thread as being a ban on having a rant/piss/moan about something in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Just don't bother read the bloody mail if you don't want to.

Also I THINK the festival is being run by World Aid Soc rather than the union, with some financial support. The budget isn't unlimited, so they'll be putting on the best show with what they have, so give them a chance at least. I think I heard too that the twister is inflatable and possibly giant so it might be pretty fun.

Finally, I think you're class rep is on that list. I might be wrong on this, but I think the class rep in each year is combined for art history and archaeology, so if you look at the pdf file of class reps and look for archaeology (the art history part is, I must say quite unfortunately, missing due to lack of space) in your particular year you should see your particular rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

People who don't want them could forward them back to the SU, be an incentive for them to offer an option to unsubscribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

abelard wrote:
    Also I THINK the festival is being run by World Aid Soc rather than the union, with some financial support. The budget isn't unlimited, so they'll be putting on the best show with what they have, so give them a chance at least. I think I heard too that the twister is inflatable and possibly giant so it might be pretty fun.

Yeah it is a World Aid thing and more with just the general support of the Union rather than financial support. We had inflatable twister last year and it was fun, but took too much of a chunk out of our teeny tiny budget for the lack of impact it really had. So we're just gonna have as many regular twister mats as we can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I believe that the critics of the union dont know or dont accept what the union does for them, from services to representation. The email keeps people informed, at minimal expense, and you're a stubborn child to complain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I believe that the critics of the union dont know or dont accept what the union does for them, from services to representation. The email keeps people informed, at minimal expense, and you're a stubborn child to complain about it.
    Personal abuse aside nobody's asking them to stop sending them just to give people the right to opt out if they don't want to recieve them. How dare they.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

abelard wrote:
    Finally, I think you're class rep is on that list. I might be wrong on this, but I think the class rep in each year is combined for art history and archaeology, so if you look at the pdf file of class reps and look for archaeology (the art history part is, I must say quite unfortunately, missing due to lack of space) in your particular year you should see your particular rep.

ya actually it is thanks, but its on the list in the link grimes put up not on the one sent out by the SU
    and you're a stubborn child to complain about it.

ill complain about the unsolicitated emails if i want captain pinkeye i know its only one email but between those and the ones from mary claton they are a pain in the hoop, and no more than urself i dont appreciate the abuse!

Ucdconnect is a service provided by the college. Its free and useful, but if you dont want to use it dont.
    Part of the service is emails from lecturers, staff, and the union. As well as a spam blocker and a means for contacting all the members of your class.

Its not an unsolicited email, its part of ucdconnects service

its an annolagy, I think the attitude is just like a child who wont eat vegtables.
    This is the "I want a way to leave the union" complaint comming up again, in a milder dose.

[edit]And besides, most of the people complaining here know how to stop getting them if they dont want, so its not about not being able to opt out, its just an opportunity to throw a hissy fit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I agreee with Redeye.

UCD Connect is a college service - not a personal one. The SU is part of college. So is Mary Clayton. Therefore, they every right to use the service as they see fit.

If you've got a problem with the emails, don't read 'em!

• Advertisement

UCDConnect is a single-sign-on portal.

Those mailing lists happen to be managed by it, but have nothing else really to do with it.

I find your arguement disingenuous.

Red Alert wrote:
    UCDConnect is a single-sign-on portal.

Those mailing lists happen to be managed by it, but have nothing else really to do with it.
    So by that arguement, couldn't a public company get the mailing list and start using it. I doubt it.
    Somehow, i suspect UCD Connect do a bit more than "just manage it", therefore, essentially letting people do what they like with it.

some public mailing lists operate that way too, for example you send a mail to somegroup@someserver.com like the yahoo groups. most require you to have a known email to post.

i think you should be let opt in or out of the mailing lists, as that is a normal feature of those systems.

Red Alert wrote:
    some public mailing lists operate that way too, for example you send a mail to somegroup@someserver.com like the yahoo groups. most require you to have a known email to post.

i think you should be let opt in or out of the mailing lists, as that is a normal feature of those systems.
    So do I, but that's wasn't your arguement is your previous post.

Advertisement