Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which bike

Options
  • 26-10-2006 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

want to buy a bike, have around euro 300 to spend. thing is i'm over 6 foot, do i go hybrid or mountain? just need it to get fit nothing serious.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

What kind of conditions will you be doing your cycling in? Will you be using it to get to work or just riding in the evenings?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

just need the bike for evenings, i live in the country so ground goes from rough to tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

I would look at this if you could stretch your budget is bit:

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=8642

I personaly own a trek 7500 and love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

If you're doing more road than not I'd go hybrid, the 7500 isn't a bad option like clearz says. If you're doing more off road than on-road I'd go for a MTB, something like the Trek 4100 or Specialized Hardrock.

Height isn't really too much of a factor, and MTBs are probably the better option if weight is a factor cos they're built with the expectation of being checked around more than a hybrid or road bike.

Do you think you'll end up using it more than just for fitness rides? If you start using for transportation (e.g. commuting) or want to go on tour then a hybrid will be more suitable - on the flip side since you're in the country you may be interested in doing some trail riding on the MTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

Thanks for the advise i think i'll go for a hybrid, sorry no mountain bike, no hybrid ah jesus i think i'll buy a trike... cheers:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I'm a bit taller than you (6'3") and I found my options limited by frame size, as most MTB/hybrid frames only go up to 22". Eventually, I went for a Giant Boulder MTB with 23" frame at €350 (mudguards/lights extra).

I have one grassy slope on my commute, so I'm happy to have big, knobbly tyres, even if most of my commute is by road.

Advertisement