Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSM 900/1800 Frequency

Options
  • 26-10-2006 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to find out whether my local Vodafone mast (Rathdrum, Co Wicklow) is broadcasting on 900 or 1800, or both?

I ask as the reception at home is dire inside the house, I have come across a number of companies which offer in home boosters, however want to get the correct one (i.e. 900 or 1800)

Plus does anyone know whether they are they legal in Ireland ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yes, it is possible, but unless you want to spend a good bit on an engineering-mode enabled phone, your best bet is picking up an old nokia 3310 or 3210. It's then possible with a cable that costs €10 to €20 and the trial version of logomanager software to manually enable the engineering/test mode on the phone.

Quite a lot of information can be picked up from the phone in test mode.

I'm pretty sure that those devices are illegal in Ireland as I believe they are actively transmitting on those frequencies and this is illegal under the Wireless Telegraphy Act, 1926 or suchlike.

They could be license-exempt or not termed as a "transmitter", I'm not sure. They are probably very low power aswell so that may make them legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

skearon wrote:
    Is it possible to find out whether my local Vodafone mast (Rathdrum, Co Wicklow) is broadcasting on 900 or 1800, or both?
    I was going to say use comreg's Siteviewer
    but they don't list this info unless the site has an NIR report. Another worthless offering from Comreg

Anywhere voda have 1800 Mhz coverage they will also have 900 Mhz Coverage. 900Mhz has much better non LOS properties and range than 900Mhz
    I ask as the reception at home is dire inside the house, I have come across a number of companies which offer in home boosters, however want to get the correct one (i.e. 900 or 1800)
    It's crap in my house too
    Plus does anyone know whether they are they legal in Ireland ?

They are almost certainly not legal since these devices transmit and there does exist a very significant potential for creating harmful interference if the device is not very carefully installed.
    Can you provide a link to the device in question ?

You could also use a GSM fixed terminal such as the Ericsson F251m (or F250m)
    http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=105673

.brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

bminish wrote:
    Anywhere voda have 1800 Mhz coverage they will also have 900 Mhz Coverage. 900Mhz has much better non LOS properties and range than 900Mhz

Thank you for the very informative post, just to confirm that you are sure they broadcast on both 1800 and 900? If this is the case a 900 MHz repeater should work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Here is the site with all their technical details, they are transmitting on 900/1800.

http://www.vodafone.ie/aboutus/company/publication/index.jsp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Yes they have both frequencies on all masts, what you need to do is get a dual band phone that will hop between frequencies and see if it makes a difference.

skearon wrote:

Ohh
    that's not legal, one of the problems with units such as that is that if the outside antenna can see the inside antenna you would get RF feedback which WILL cause interference to the GSM spectrum. If you avoid actual feedback you still run the very real risk that the quality (spectral purity ) of your handset's signal will be significantly degraded (& possibly outside permitted specifications ) by the time it reaches the base station.

even if it was perfectly clean and had no negative effects on the network, only the GSM operators are allowed install kit like this

.brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yes they have both frequencies on all masts, what you need to do is get a dual band phone that will hop between frequencies and see if it makes a difference.
    I wouldn't be too sure about that. I've been 200m from voda masts but only 900MHz frequencies showed up. Have Voda now put 1800MHz equipment on every mast?

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I've been 200m from voda masts but only 900MHz frequencies showed up. Have Voda now put 1800MHz equipment on every mast?

What did you use to see what frequency was in use? Was it a phone or special equipment?

No 1800 is not on every mast, It's on a lot of them but not all of them by any means

• Advertisement
Advertisement