Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox Bundle for Xmas - fantastic!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

d-redser wrote:
    koneko,

We got a new LCD tv at the start of the year - similar to this version but alot bigger http://www.didstore.com/store_detail.asp?modelcode=23PF5321&subid=195
    Connection wise, totally over the head! He plays the orignial xbox on it plus his son's ps2.

Game wise, he is addicted to fifa 06 at the mo. Before that was the godfather and before that was an airplane game. He loves watching wrestling on tv so the smyths package might be worth looking into.

He loves playing the xbox but is no where near a computer wizard!!

Try to find out what the exact model is that way you may not have to buy different connection leads.

You may want to get him fifa 07 if he has a good boy of course! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Get smyths bundle if he likes wrestling games,its got 2 controllers, xtravision pack 499e ,1 controller.360 premium means 360 has 20gig hardrive built in ,thats the one to get.HE needs hd for online gaming or game saves.I think you could put a deposit down on it ,theres no chance of the 360 premium s being sold out be4 dec25th.ALOT of people have ps2 console ,will get a 360 when theres like 50 games released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

koneko wrote:
    It might end up sold out for Christmas, if past years are anything to go by nearly everything sells out for Christmas so get it early. You can probably book it in Smyths or buy it early, they'll be able to tell you. Call them and ask :)

There is a new console coming out aswell called the Nintendo Wii, but if he specifically asked for a 360 and he likes his Xbox, then I'd say stick with that. The Wii is a bit different, doesn't have the same type of games as the Xboxes so it might not be his cup of tea. It is cheaper than the Xbox 360 though.

Thanks! I remember looking at the Wii in New York and I think he was taking the mick out of it! Probably cos some weirdo was playing a boxing game and he looked like he was having a fit!

He hasnt specifically asked for the xbox 360 but he's like a big kid when we go into smyths and tyring to get to play it... It'll be his little surprise with the big price tag!

Thanks random and koneko for your advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah I'd say stick with the 360 then for now.

If you bought your telly not that long again then it should have a component input, the cable comes in the box with the Premium kit so you shouldn't need any extra cables. You can double check it yourself, see if there are a series of round connections on the back of the TV with different colours, one red, one green and one blue. The cable that comes with the Premium box can connect to that so you should be all set.

I can't recall red/blue/green but I know there are red/white/yellow connections.. Are they the same?

Another question: I noticed that the PS2 are releasing the Soprano's game... will there be an xbox 360 version comin out do you know???

Nope :( Red and White are audio connections and the yellow is composite. Check your telly later if you can, or check which model it is and look it up online (or post it here and someone can probably check it).

Don't think the Sopranos game is coming to the 360, but from what I've read it's a pretty bad game anyway so don't bother with that one. If he likes GTA (Grand Theft Auto) type games, there is a similar one on the 360 already called Saints Row, and the next GTA will be coming to the 360 aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Damn Xtravision, how long does the offer go on for?
    Decided to pick one up for xmas instead of a Wii. Shall be filling up a room with a hdtv in a while aswell, and GoW won't stop calling me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

koneko wrote:
    Nope :( Red and White are audio connections and the yellow is composite. Check your telly later if you can, or check which model it is and look it up online (or post it here and someone can probably check it).

Don't think the Sopranos game is coming to the 360, but from what I've read it's a pretty bad game anyway so don't bother with that one. If he likes GTA (Grand Theft Auto) type games, there is a similar one on the 360 already called Saints Row, and the next GTA will be coming to the 360 aswell.

lol - i have a crappy old tv with scart lead - do i stand a chance?

koneko wrote:

Thanks for your help. I wasn't at home last night so I will check later, and I will also check what model the tv is.

I am going to put a deposit on the 360 after work. Xtravision said €20 is enought to put down!! I cant get through to smyths but will call in on way home..

Edit: Just had a look on the philips site and as far as I can see this is the exact model, only difference is ours is at least a 37/42". But I will check the exact model later..

lol - i have a crappy old tv with scart lead - do i stand a chance?

You can connect through SCART, but it won't look great, get a proper TV first :p

d-redser, you should be okay either way. You can connect through composite (red and white for sound, yellow for video). The picture quality on that isn't as good as on component, but it'll work. The cable in the Premium box does both, so you should be sorted either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

anyone know of any smyths with the 499 pack in stock? ive tried the naas branch but they only 60 premium consoles this week no pro ev ones. thanks for any help.

prefer if the branch was in the east of the country

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

With the Xtra Vision bundle, do you have to take those 4 games? The girlfriend is getting it for me for Xmas(deposit paid already) but only one problem. I was given a free copy of the limited edition of GoW(metal tin) last weekend so i dont need it with the bundle. Will they let me swap it for something else or will i just have to trade it in against something else?

GET secondhand 19inch monitor,60 euro ,use vga cable to get 360 hidefinition gaming in 1080 resolution.Game have 499euro pack,4 games , GOW, Perfect Dark, pgr and 4th game ,1 controller wireless.I cant remember the name of the 4th game,also have a proevo 07 pack.You,ll have no problem swapping GOW for another game ,leave the disc sealed ,cover on, or swap it on boards.ie for pgr or another 360 game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

gamer wrote:
    ALOT of people have ps2 console ,will get a 360 when theres like 50 games released.

There are more than that already...

When i go to game i only see 25 360 games on display, alot of people are choosing to buy ps2 at new low price ,you can buy most ps2 games 25euro,the average 360game, 50 euro.The average person ,doesn,t know all about the techical merits of 360 hd gaming ,xbox live ,they go to a shop and see racks,loads of ps2 games ,so they buy a ps2 console.Every gameshop should have 360 demo unit setup with 720p display.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I was thinking of getting an xbox 360 for a while but I dont think I will.

Reasons being
    1.I dont have broadband and probably never will where Im living so there would be no way for me to update the console or patch games when games need patching.

2. Ive got a 50hz tv which I think is only 50hz capable so any of the decent games such as gears of war and dead or alive 4 and oblivion will likely not work on it or be played in black and white- thats the main reason why.

I have a 6 year old continental edison tv and it doesnt say anything in the manual about it being ntsc compatible and says in manual its 50hz says something at the back of the manual about 50/60hz but I just dont know.

I sure would hate buying an xbox 360 and discover I have to buy an expensive tv aswell just to play it.

It seems to be a good machine with good games but it'd be a problem.

By the way any good games coming out on ps2 for xmas?
    or any good ps2 games you'd recommend?
    (Excluding canis canem edit and shadow of colossus cos I got those)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

quinnd6 wrote:
    By the way any good games coming out on ps2 for xmas?

guitar hero 2 :D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Kevin2006

I was thinking of getting an xbox 360 for a while but I dont think I will.

Reasons being
    1.I dont have broadband and probably never will where Im living so there would be no way for me to update the console or patch games when games need patching.

2. Ive got a 50hz tv which I think is only 50hz capable so any of the decent games such as gears of war and dead or alive 4 and oblivion will likely not work on it or be played in black and white- thats the main reason why.

I have a 6 year old continental edison tv and it doesnt say anything in the manual about it being ntsc compatible and says in manual its 50hz says something at the back of the manual about 50/60hz but I just dont know.

It would be pointless buying the 360 for that tv. You should buy a hi-def lcd, they are getting pretty cheap. You can get a good 32inch for around 800-1000 these days and it will do you for some years to come.

Any1 know whats the extras with the GOW pack in Game, 499,ie premium pack +4 games plus Extras?I mean Game ,in mary street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭NANOJO

hi just back from gamestop they have 499 offer for xbox 360

1st game choice between gow, pro ev6 ,call of duty 3

2nd game raw v smackdown 2007

3rd game splinter cell double agent

4th project gotham racing or another racing game cant remember the name

plus an extra controller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

so basically same as smyths, anyone know what date smyths deal will continue until

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I wouldnt buy a 32 inch hi def tv(not at the mo anyway) cos it would be too big for to fit in my bedroom.
    It'd be pointless to get a hd ready tv really cos all Id be doing is playing 360 and watching my indoor aerial on it.
    Biggest tv I can fit in my room at the moment(cos my computer is sitting beside it) would be about 20 inch.
    Whats the cheapest 20 inch 60 hertz capable tv I could get?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I see that gamestop were offering a premium system by itself for 299 if you traded n a console and 4 games. The value of the console and the four games had to add up to €44, so should be pretty easy as most ps2s will get you 30/35 he said.

No game, but not a bad offer? Was really only looking at getting gears of war initially.

Or keep thee ps2 and get this bundle from play.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

No point looking at that offer from Play.com because they don't ship electronics to Ireland.

Bugger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

quinnd6 wrote:
    I wouldnt buy a 32 inch hi def tv(not at the mo anyway) cos it would be too big for to fit in my bedroom.
    It'd be pointless to get a hd ready tv really cos all Id be doing is playing 360 and watching my indoor aerial on it.
    Biggest tv I can fit in my room at the moment(cos my computer is sitting beside it) would be about 20 inch.
    Whats the cheapest 20 inch 60 hertz capable tv I could get?

Best thing you could do is connect it to a decent monitor so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭browneire

Does anyone know of any good trade in offers for the old xbox. have a bunch of controllers, games, remote etc and think its time I got my hands on some new technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

See the post a few boxes up ^

Gamestop will give you a premium xbox 360 for €299 when you trade in your old xbox and 4 games. This values your trade in at ~€100 whereas it's only worth about €45 if you were to use it against anything else. I asked them if they'd give this €100 discount if you were to get a package with games too but they don't. I'm thinking about trading the old xbox into GAME with a few games and getting the premium 360, Gears of War and Table Tennis for €439 minus whatever the stuff is worth. Don't want Splinter Cell or PGR3 so this is probably the best offer around right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Don't think you've got the Gamestop offer quite right.
    It is trade in your xbox and 4 games, but they're not xbox games!:rolleyes:
    They told me there's only a trade-in value of around €1.50 per xbox game, so the total won't come up to the required €45.
    They said you could mix and match eg. xbox and 4 ps2/psp games, but the games exclude xbox games.

Makes the offer total cock to me!:mad:

I should have pointed out that the guy did mention that the xbox / games wouldn't be as valuable as the ps2 / games.

My old chunky ps2 and some games i've finished to get a shiny new xbox. Good deal?

• Advertisement

Has to be Mark.

Worst case, wait a little while, and you can buy another PS2!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

regarding the smyths deal, those muppets now are using Fifa 07' over pro evo 6

deal breaker for me, ill be getting the xtra vision deal now even though theres no extra controller

shoulda stuck with them in the first place :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

BArra wrote:
    regarding the smyths deal, those muppets now are using Fifa 07' over pro evo 6

deal breaker for me, ill be getting the xtra vision deal now even though theres no extra controller

shoulda stuck with them in the first place :rolleyes:

yeah think i got the last pro ev one, i tried blanch, naas and tallaght before i got the last one in liffey valley, all the others said it the pro ev offer was only for a week and that fifa is the new offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

bastard :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

im lookin to get a 360 possibly with one of this offers that i saw advertised here.
    in summary which shop do u reckon has the best deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

All depends which games you want.
    I want a Premium 360 with GoW, Viva P and Pro Evo. Nothing else interests me.... well maybe Rainbow 6 Vegas after that Eurogamer review ;) ... But I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to get there from the numerous offers around combined with trading in the games they give you etc!
    Still doing the sums!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i work for xtra-vision, and if you catch a manager (usually during the daytime hours) you MAY be able to swindle them into switching one of the games for you. it's been done, twice... in one day :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Tescos are selling them from today for €329.95, I think it's the PGR3 pack with the extra controller. Plus if you have a club card you'll get €82 in vouchers after Christmas.

Is that a premium one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Yip. Was €439 and reduced by 25% for this weekend so I'm presuming it's a premium one if the price was originally €439.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

So Xtravision will swap games, Tescos dropped 25% off + vouchers, and me like a fool bought one in Gamestop last week - typical!

Just posting to say that Gamestop wouldnt swap out that wrestling game for me (not much of a surprise really), and the tradein value was only something like €15/20 apparently, in case you were considering it. I'd sooner stick it on ebay for €15 buyout than give it to Gamestop knowing they'll resell it at some stupid price. grr!

I'll be trading in an old ps2 and some games for a 299 premium in gamestop tomorrow. Not all bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I tried getting the €499 bundle from gamestop on Henry ST last night, but they didn'f have any copies of Perfect Dark and they couldn't sell that bundle without it (even though I really didn't want it). In the end I think I went for one that was about €435 or something (I probably should have been paying attention, but I had a long day and just wanted to go home!). I got Call Of Duty 3 (fantastic!), Project Gotham Racing 3 (meh!), some arcade thing (haven't tried) and an extra wireless controller, (plus I bought Dead Rising second hand). Not too bad a deal I thought.

Jip wrote:
    Tescos are selling them from today for €329.95, I think it's the PGR3 pack with the extra controller. Plus if you have a club card you'll get €82 in vouchers after Christmas.

Holy ****balls!!:eek:
    That brings it down to €250! Gonna get me one of them bad boys today!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Game Stop have a new 6 game 360 deal.
    Premium console
    2 Wireless controllers
    Pro Evo 6
    Splinter Cell: Double Agent
    Dead Rising
    Test Drive Unlimited
    Smackdown Vs Raw 2007
    Saints Row

All for €499

Not too shabby.
    J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

Have tried Tescos in Bray and Greystones and neither of them have 360s in stock. Does anybody know which branches do have them in stock (the nearer to Greystones the better) or can they be bought online and still get the 25% back in club points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Do you need to have your PS2 box and all to trade it in? As i fecked mine in the bin as soon as I got it... D'oh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Actually can anyone explain how the game stop exchange works as I want to get rid of my PS2 and have some games for it too...
    How much is their offer and how much can i get off?

For Cork readers.

Paul Street: Don't sell them.
    Mahon Point : Don't sell them.
    Douglas: Have 7 left as at 13.30 today.
    Wilton: Didn't get to there, and once I found them in Douglas, I didn't need to go any further!;)

Get there fast!

That leaves €170 left over from my €500 budget to get the games I want, as oppossed to bundles. Cue play-asia and the secondhand stalls!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

LIGHTNING wrote:
    I assume its the Premium 360 that comes with that bundle? If it is I`m buying one tomorrow.

Yep, its the Premium console. That's alot of games for a cheap price.

Advertisement