Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correct my mistakes..

Options
  • 27-10-2006 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

Would appreciate it so much if someone could:)

Heimat ist für mich auf dem Land, wo mein Haus liegt. Meine ganze Familie wohnt dort in einem einstöckiges Haus. Meine Familie ist mein Leben, ohne sie bin ich nicht verständig.
    Heimat ist etwas, auf das ich nicht verzichten kann. Liebe ist bedingungslos und das gefällt mir denn ich kann mir sein. Ich kann mit meinen Geschwister streiten. Ich bin gesund und wohl von Heimat. Ich bin bequem und warm immer. Ich bin nie allein dort. Ich bin nie kurz gesagt. Sie geben mir viel, zum Beispiel: Essen, Rat, Liebe und Geld.

Manchmal fühle ich wie Semra denn sie hat zwei Heimat; Türkei und Deutschland. Ich wohne in Limerick von Sonntag Nacht bis Freitag Abend und ich wohne dort mit meine Freunde und Menschen, die ich gut keene.

Ich bin wie Frank, denn ich möchte ‘nie in der Stadt leben’
    Die Luft ist frisch in meiner Heimat. Ich kann das Meer die ganze Zeit sehen und es gibt Felder um mein Haus herum. Deshalb ist die Landschaft spektakulär.

Frank und Semra vermissen Heimat wenn sie nicht dort sind- ich auch.

Vielen Dank!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Alle ist perfekt?! toll! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Well, it's not perfect - and it's a long passage, so you won't get a full set of corrections. But here are a few pointers:

Heimat: you need to consider whether "Zuhause" is a better word for many (most?) of the places you've chosen to use "Heimat". Heimat to me (and I'm not a native speaker) tends more commonly to refer to the larger aspects of what we call "Home" - your mother country, right down to the community you grew up in, but less so your family and your own four walls.

Haus liegt: ich finde es natürlicher wenn ein Haus steht ("in München steht ein Hofbräuhaus...")

"ohne sie bin ich nicht verständig": Dunno what you mean by this. Looks like a direct translation.

"denn ich kann mir sein": Are you trying to say "I can be myself"? It isn't working :( You can only use "mir" in the dative case, but the phrase isn't natural anyway, even if you use the correct pronoun. You'd be better to rephrse it using some form of "sich wohlfühlen".

Aside: "mir" is also the Bavarian dialect form of "wir", leading to a local gay pride slogan: "Mir san mir, mir san queer".

Watch the dative plurals!: mit meinen Geschwistern. mit meinen Freunden. Adding an N to the end of a plural noun in the dative is one of the most regular (you almost always do it) rules in the language. One worth paying attention to, since it's easy to get right.

Ich bin gesund und wohl von Heimat: Looks like a direct translation, and I don't understand the result.

keene: "kenne". Also ...und mit Menschen, die ich...

I feel: is translated as "ich fühle mich" (verb: sich fühlen) You've missed the reflexive pronoun in the bit about Semra.

Plural of Heimat: this is where my limits step in. Probably Heimate or maybe Heimaten. But if Semra has two of them, you'll need to change the noun. A dictionary should clear this one up.

Turkey: die Türkei.

During the week: Unter der Woche. A much better description of the times you live in Limerick.

und ich wohne dort: You started your sentence with "ich wohne", so you can leave this bit out.

Frank und Semra vermissen ihre Heimat... And in this instance, it's Heimat singular, since each person named only has one of them, a convention that is the opposite of how it's done in English.

Assuming this was a class exercise, if you understand my pointers, you'll have learnt something. The grammar aspects will come with time (if you pay enough attention to detail), but the bit you really need to watch is the direct translation. If you ever find yourself wanting to translate a natural English expression into German and you feel tempted to do so word for word from a dictionary, then stop and find something else to say, because nine times out of ten you'll end up with a balls of a thing that doesn't mean anything (examples above).

Of course, if you find yourself feeding the sentence to a translation engine and believing the result, then give up now and apply for American citizenship... :D

Any use?

Dermot

Was a college exercise. Already went through it and switched around a few things yesterday morning before handing it back up.
    Thanks for your help none the less!
    Another time:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

He Fast, I still think you did a great job!! Herzlichen Glückwunsch, mach weiter so!

^^Vielen Dank..*blushes*:D
    I fixed it up a bit since that draft I posted, so think the final thing wasn't to bad!

• Advertisement

Hi..These are my recorrections of mistakes that i had made in my last assignment..was wondering if someone could check it over for me..thanks so much if ye can!:)

Das bedeutet Groβstadt für mich ist auch: Individualitat. In der Stadt ist man nur eine Nummer und sie sind sehr anonym. Leute wo in der Stadt leben sind sehr unabhängig. Die Freundschaft ist nicht wichtig für sie. Ich finde diese Leute sind sehr kalt und nicht hilfsbereit und das gefällt mir nicht. Ich lebe auf dem Land und ich habe das selber Meinung mit der Aussage “..man fühlt sich standing beobachtet.” Wenn ich in die Kneipe gehe und meine Nachbarn sind dort auch, ich trinke nicht viel Alkohol, denn sie würden meine Eltern sagen. Ich kann nicht viel tun. Man hat kein Privotleben. Meine Familie haben einen Ruf aufrechtzuerhalten. Meine Nachbarn haben viel Respekt für meine Eltern und sie denken, meine Geschwister und ich sind sehr nett, freundlich und sehr manierlich. Wir müssen immer einen Gefallen tun-aber dass ist das Leben. Wir müssen freundlich sein denn wir leben isoliert und wir brachen einander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dustpuppy

Heimat ist für mich auf dem Land, wo mein Haus steht. Meine ganze Familie wohnt dort in einem einstöckiges Haus. Meine Familie ist mein Leben, ohne sie bin ich nicht vollständig.
    Heimat ist etwas, auf das ich nicht verzichten kann. Liebe ist bedingungslos und das gefällt mir denn ???????. Ich kann mit meinen Geschwistern streiten. Ich bin gesund und wohl auf. Ich habe es immer warm und bequem. Ich bin nie allein dort. Ich komme nie zu kurz. Sie geben mir viel, zum beispiel: Essen, Rat, Liebe und Geld.

Manchmal fühle ich wie Semra denn sie hat zwei Heimaten; Türkei und Deutschland. Ich wohne in Limerick von Sonntag Nacht bis Freitag Abend und ich wohne dort mit meine Freunden und Menschen, die ich gut kenne.

Ich bin wie Frank, denn ich möchte ‘nie in der Stadt leben’
    Die Luft ist frisch in meiner Heimat. Ich kann das Meer die ganze Zeit sehen und es gibt Felder um mein Haus herum. Deshalb ist die Landschaft spektakulär.

Frank und Semra vermissen ihre Heimat wenn sie nicht dort sind,ich auch.

Vielen Dank!

Nun stimmt es :-)

Schöne Grüsse
    Dusty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Schade, noch ein Paar Fehler zu korregieren!

Unfortunately that was the wrong one Dustpuppy..:(
    Its the paragraph 3 posts up..
    Thanks so much for taking the time to do that though:)

Advertisement