Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have we got a real North-West community anymore ?..

Options
  • 27-10-2006 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

The North-West community it seems to me has become split, into citizens living in fear and isolation, that safe feeling of neighbourhood seems to have vanished.

So do we have a genuine N.W. caring/sharing community anymore. Personally I doubt it. Which is a real shame. Am I wrong ?..

Your views would be appreciated.

P. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Not with you paddy?
    Some issues/topics are about Donegal, some about sligo.
    I am from Sligo but lived in Letterkenny for two years so I can kind of contribute to both. But I may not be so "useful" to Leitrim posts.

What are you getting at??

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Like Gillie said there will be different threads that will be of interest to different users depending on the content and where they are located.

The North West forum is fine and is truly alive and kicking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

have to agree that everyone is looking at different sections of their locality rather than the NW as a whole.

But overall, it is moving nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

We don't get many opportunities to demonstrate to our fellow north-westerners how much more classy Donegal people are to the deliquents of sligo and Leitrim.

Actually - shouldn't Derry and Tyrone be included also unless this is a partitionist forum....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I would have thought Fermanagh would be appropriate too, but there's a Northern Forum already, albeit a quiet one. I think the north west forum is fine. I don't spend as much time as I did in Donegal (used to be in some part of it at least once or twice a week) but I still feel it's part of the region I live in, and I like keeping up to date with somewhere that's only up the road. It's only twenty odd minutes from Sligo town to Bundoran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

What have you got a helicopter????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Gillie wrote:
    Not with you paddy?
    Some issues/topics are about Donegal, some about sligo.
    I am from Sligo but lived in Letterkenny for two years so I can kind of contribute to both. But I may not be so "useful" to Leitrim posts.

What are you getting at??

Gille,

I think I need to clear up the fact that I was referring to the real North West community, and not the online version.

When I gew up in Donegal Street, Ballybofey. We had had a real sense of community, most peoples doors were open i.e. unlocked !, however now doors are locked and security seems to be peoples main concern.

I regard that as a sad reflection on how Communities have changed. We seem to be living 'in fear', and that is not how it should be. I know of elderly people whose doors are permanently locked, and I have had to kick in their doors, as they had not been seen for days. How sad.

I hope you understand what I am getting at ?..My original post has now been altered by me accordingly.

P. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

The Sept issue if MaGill Magazine had some good coverage about the preception of crime in Ireland.

Bascially said that Irish people were more scared of being a victim of crime than their Western-Europen counterparts, yet lived in the country with the lowest level of crime in Western Europe (or maybe even the EU).

It blamed the media & politicians for banging the crime drum to bloster support for themselves (or to sell papers). What politicians wants to be seen as being "soft" on crime?

If anything, it's probably more anti-social behaviour than crime that has people scared.

Even had the Mammy telling me that it wasn't safe to walk around Donegal Town at night ...

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im locking this and Im off to watch the rugby. The title is completely misleading whether intentional or not.

Half time in match so Im going to keep this short. Paddy I have had enough of you posting and then thinking. You made your original post some 40 hours ago and you now feel the need to come back and edit it.

The idea here is that you think first and then post. A lot of times people will want to edit their post after they have read it again and that is what the edit feature is for but its not for editing the contents of a post days later.

This is an ongoing issue and it has to stop. This is not advice Paddy it is a warning

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement