Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I go and watch a case in court?

• 27-10-2006 2:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

I wwas just wondering if anyone knew if a member of the public can go to the courts and watch a case being tried. If you could let me know where to go or if anyones been, that would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

i've been to a few here in Limerick (mainly District Ct) - the courts are open to the public, except in certain circumstances where it is necessary to hold proceedings in camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

If you are in Dublin then my advice would be to head on down to the Four Courts and dependin' on what takes your fancy toddle on into the court.
    a) for murders etc. you should go to the Central Criminal Court which usually sits in one or two of the Courts in the Round Hall i.e the main part of the Four Courts. Usually Courts no. 2 & 4 (note all rape trial are heard in camera)
    b) for serious offences such as assault, robberry, etc then it's the Circuit Criminal Court that you're after, which sits in the Four Courts building and also Chancery Place.
    c) for summary offences such as, minor drug offences, public order, motoring, shop lifting, public order, etc then Bridewell District Court is the best place to be.

It is well worth a visit to any or all of the above courts, it is certainly an experience! I have added a link for a Courts Service map which will help you locate the various Courts that I have mentioned, they are all within very close proximity to the main Four Courts building. The Courts Service operate a desk just before the entry to the Round Hall, they'll answer any queries you may have or direct you to where you want to go.

On the other hand, if you are outside Dublin then you will have to look up the provincial diaries for your nearest Court. I have added a link for this also.

http://www.courts.ie/offices.nsf/66f17ad8f19fb0a680256e4300418691/b0e2c358fac4a4cd80256f310063a3e2?OpenDocument

http://www.courts.ie/legaldiary.nsf/Provincial+-+Circuit+Court?Openview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Just as a point of reference, the district court is as boring as all hell. Go to the circuit court or above if its some excitement you're after:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"I want the truth!"

"You can't HANDLE the truth!"

"Did you order the code red?"

"Your Goddamn right I did!!"

yeah...this never happens in reality. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭GusherING

Ask a garda in the courthouse. I got pointed in the direction of a murder trial. Quite exciting alright!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Has it always been the case that rape cases are in camera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

what will you see in the 4 courts that you won't see on Judge Judy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Marts wrote:
    what will you see in the 4 courts that you won't see on Judge Judy?

the 4 courts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It wouldnt be fair to the people involved in a rape trial for it to be held publicly...both for the Plaintiff and the defendant. Remember Innocent until proven Guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭focusing

Read a newspaper to pick a couple of ongoing trials and find out which courtrooms they'll be in via the Legal Diary on courts.ie

The Round Hall Courts and Court 8 generally have some interesting criminal trials.

Good idea from whoever suggested asking a Garda in the Round Hall, you can't go far wrong from there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement