Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Good Autobiography

Options
  • 27-10-2006 8:41am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have read a few autobiographies, Nelson Mandela, Steve Biko, Malcolm X and Martin Luther King come to mind, all inspiring, riveting reads.

Anyone got an autobiography they would recommend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

Arturo Barea's 3 volume autobiography The Forging Of A Rebel is probably the definitive book on the Spanish Civil War and gives an amazingly vivid account of daily life in early 20th century Spain, if that's your thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Surviving The Killing Fields - Haing S. Ngor

He also won a best supporting oscar for his role in the movie - The Killing Fields - hence the title.
    Makes the lives of the aforementioned figures seem like a walk in the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭bongo85

Howard Marks' MR NICE is an excellent read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

The Moon's A Balloon - David Niven. That's a good one.
    Paladin wrote:
    Surviving The Killing Fields - Haing S. Ngor

He also won a best supporting oscar for his role in the movie - The Killing Fields - hence the title.
    Makes the lives of the aforementioned figures seem like a walk in the park.
    Why do some people feel the need to turn everything into a pathetic pishing contest? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

White Line Fever by Lemmy from Motorhead :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

The Moon's A Balloon - David Niven. That's a good one.
    :(

Excellent piece of work, I have to say one of the most enjoyable autobiographies I have read.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The Wild Swans by Jung Chang is excellent! A young girls life in China during and after teh time of Chairman Mao.

Losing My Virginity by Richard Branson is amazing too, a real eye-opener in places and gives amazing insight into what made him the man he is today, whether you like him or not.

My fight for Irish Freedom by Dan Brown was fantastic too. Tales from the days of the rising, civil war and war of Independance.

I'd recommend those to anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Che Guevara's Bolivian Diary was excellent. It shows the man outside of the myth. It's hard to put words to how I feel about this book (a cop out I know) but if you want to read an autobiography because you think you'll understand a person better afterwards, read this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

The kid stays in the picture by Robert Evans is a good read.The guy had an amazing life.Started from nothing,climbed to the top of the movie industry and fell back down again,producing some great films like The Godfather along the way.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Thanks lads, that should keep me going for a while :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

- Winston Churchill's docs bio of Churchill during the WW2
    - Nelson Mandela, as already mentioned
    - Bez (from the Happy Mondays... "Pills Trills and Belly Aches")
    - Wonderland Avenue by Danny Sugarman (manager of the doors)
    - Malcolm X's autobio (see other thread)
    - Che Guevra's years bio of his years in the Congo

I read Bill Clintons autobio, which was interesting enough if a bit too heavy on the politics. My mother gave it to me once for xmas... at the same time giving Hillary's to my girlfriend :rolleyes: Hillary's is basically Bill's in half the words.

I'm getting an overdose of deja-vu typing this... cannot remember but thought there was a similar thread a while back? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

elizabeth wurtzel - prozac nation

bit sad though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Well if just a plain old biography will do I have a one of Joseph Kennedy - JFK's father. Can't remember the name of it off-hand but I'll dig it out when I get home later. Gives a great insight into the whole Kennedy clan when you read about what the patriarch got up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Alex Maskey: Man and Mayor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

doonothing wrote:
    elizabeth wurtzel - prozac nation

bit sad though
    A bit tedious more like it. I'm amazed I finished it, that girl is so annoying. Apparently the sequel is worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

Kingdom Of Fear: Hunter S. Thompson
    Grass: Phil Sparrowhawk
    High: John O'Dea

Last two are along the same lines as Mr. Nice.

If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell

One of the funniest books ever written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭demosuzki

BossArky wrote:
    - Bez (from the Happy Mondays... "Pills Trills and Belly Aches")

+1vote.

/ds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

"Papillion" is a fascinating book!!

isn;t it considered fiction now-a-days ?

/ds

• Advertisement

not an autobiography (are biography's ok ?)

but i read this last year and enjoyed it.

In Green and Red: The Lives of Frank Ryan, Adrian Hoar, Kerry: Brandon. 2004. ISBN 0-86322-332-X.

"Ryan was a prominent member of the Irish Republican Army, editor of An Phoblacht, leftist activist and leader of Irish volunteers on the Republican side in the Spanish Civil War."
    he got captured in spain and after Dev got his life spared the spanish fasists gave him to Hitler.
    With conections to Dev he is said to have been some kind of unoffical irish ambassador during the war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Ryan_(Irish_republican)

if you like it then this is also good.
    Connolly Column: The story of the Irishmen who fought for the Spanish Republic 1936-1939, Michael O'Riordan, Torfaen: Warren & Pell. 2005 [2nd edition]. ISBN 0-9548904-2-6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

The Bible

demosuzki wrote:
    isn;t it considered fiction now-a-days ?

/ds

Its a life story is it not???
    Or do have you heard something?????
    Or what is your point here?
    A biography is not a history book - its an personal account.
    :confused::confused:

Review:
    Condemned for a murder he had not committed, Henri Charriere (nicknamed Papillon) was sent to the penal colony of French Guiana. Forty-two days after his arrival he made his first break, travelling a thousand gruelling miles in an open boat. Recaptured, he suffered a solitary confinement and was sent eventually to Devil's Island, a hell-hole of disease and brutality. No one had ever escaped from this notorious prison - no one until Papillon took to the shark infested sea supported only by a makeshift coconut-sack raft. In thirteen years he made nine daring escapes, living through many fantastic adventures while on the run - including a sojourn with South American Indians whose women Papillon found welcomely free of European restraints! "Papillon" is filled with tension, adventure and high excitement. It is also one of the most vivid stories of human endurance ever written. Henri Charriere died in 1973 at the age of 66.

demosuzki wrote:
    not an autobiography (are biography's ok ?)

but i read this last year and enjoyed it.

In Green and Red: The Lives of Frank Ryan, Adrian Hoar, Kerry: Brandon. 2004. ISBN 0-86322-332-X.

"Ryan was a prominent member of the Irish Republican Army, editor of An Phoblacht, leftist activist and leader of Irish volunteers on the Republican side in the Spanish Civil War."
    he got captured in spain and after Dev got his life spared the spanish fasists gave him to Hitler.
    With conections to Dev he is said to have been some kind of unoffical irish ambassador during the war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Ryan_(Irish_republican)

if you like it then this is also good.
    Connolly Column: The story of the Irishmen who fought for the Spanish Republic 1936-1939, Michael O'Riordan, Torfaen: Warren & Pell. 2005 [2nd edition]. ISBN 0-9548904-2-6.
    you MIGHT enjoy this so. Good book.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_b/202-7811619-3285444?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Killing+Rage&Go.x=14&Go.y=12
    Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

bongo85 wrote:
    Howard Marks' MR NICE is an excellent read

Seconded. Just finished it a few weeks ago. Very good story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I would enthusiastically second Backtoblack's "papillon" recommendation...

And also recommend wholeheartedly Robert Graves' autobiography "Goodbye To All That" which, if you have any interest in war or history, is highly attractive, and very very sad. Best book I read in 2006 and now one of my favourites of all time.

sjones wrote:
    Seconded. Just finished it a few weeks ago. Very good story.

Yep! Good book! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

it probably doesnt qualify as autobiography, more a bildungsroman, but A Portrait of the artist as a Young Man is... there are no words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

How about "very good"? Those are words.

You could also look at "Moab is My Washpot" by Stephen Fry or "Cider With Rosie" by Laurie Lee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

I would recommend 'Chronicles: Volume 1' by Bob Dylan. It's an interesting read and he has a great way with words - which isn't really surprising I guess ;)

And then there are the Ashley Cole, Wayne Rooney, Steven Gerrard, Rio Ferdinand and Frank Lampard books that all came out recently. These guys have so much to say, they are like the collective voice of a generation - don't miss them. :rolleyes:

Advertisement