Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Good Autobiography

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭dvega

i recently read 'gerard' by ofc steven gerard.
    Good read,goes on about england an awful lot but you have to expect that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

da_deadman wrote:
    I would recommend 'Chronicles: Volume 1' by Bob Dylan. It's an interesting read and he has a great way with words - which isn't really surprising I guess ;)

I thought this book was crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Snowblind: A Brief Career in the Cocaine Trade by Robert Sabbag

Not autobiographies as such, but still good:

The Westies by T. J. English
    Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach
    Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture by David Kushner

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

Steve01 wrote:
    The Bible
    ... autobiography???

I'm reading Interesting Times by Eric Hobsbawm -- I haven't finished it yet, but it's realluy interesting (;) ) if you like European history...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Two autobiographies I'd like to read would be Johnny Cash and Clint Eastwood, anyone read them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'm almost finished 'It's a long way from penny apples' by Bill Cullen and I have to say it's a great read.

Some of the information is shocking but some of it really inspirational and uplifting...then again he has moved into the whole arena of motivational speaking and this book may be the prelude to that event.

Either way, well worth a read - story of an inner-city tenament dwelling street trader who became a multi-millionaire through hard work and determination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

bongo85 wrote:
    Howard Marks' MR NICE is an excellent read
    yep very good indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Hitch-Hiker

Shakey - Neil Young's Biography.
    Not an Autobiography, but a quality book nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Paul McGraths & Gordon Ramsays are both good reads...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

r3nu4l wrote:
    I'm almost finished 'It's a long way from penny apples' by Bill Cullen and I have to say it's a great read.

Some of the information is shocking but some of it really inspirational and uplifting...then again he has moved into the whole arena of motivational speaking and this book may be the prelude to that event.

Either way, well worth a read - story of an inner-city tenament dwelling street trader who became a multi-millionaire through hard work and determination.

i saw bill speaking at a conference last november, he did a presentation on his life etc, probably a lot of the same material the book is based on. fantastic motivational speaker. i must get myself a copy of that book, sounds good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Not an autobiography but a biography if that's ok. It's a biography of the mitford sisters by Mary Lovell. It was fascinating. They were an upper class family of 6 girls born in the 1920s. They all had fascinating lives, one was a close friend of Hitler's, another married Oswald Mosley and another was a communist in America during the McCarthy Era. Another sister, Nancy Mitford wrote a number of books based on her family life which are also very good. I have to say I haven't enjoyed a book as much in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

Have to second the Paul McGrath bio. Really heart felt book in which he faces head on all his demons and is very open and honest about his drink problem. In my opinion he was a legend before I ever read the book but now he is even more so. You really feel for him though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 black #8

r3nu4l wrote:
    The Wild Swans by Jung Chang is excellent! A young girls life in China during and after teh time of Chairman Mao.
    was going to mention that one myself. and for something a little lighter, i'd recommend "on Edge" by Adam Copeland. Adam Copeland is a professional wrestler, whose stage name is "Edge", for those who don't know. And i wouldn't just mark this for wrestling fans.. it's a good read, and really funny regardless of your view on pro wrestling.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I would second the Gordan Ramsey book its fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dunno if you'd call it an autobiography but the Alistair Campbell diaries are an interesting - if slightly patchy - read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Charley Boorman & Ewan MacGregor 'long way round' and 'race to dakar' excellent especially for those of you who like travel/motorbikes

Advertisement