Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy for Christmas.

Options
  • 27-10-2006 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Ok, I guessed the title would get some attention. (I hope this is in line with thie charter. Please delete, modify or move if necessary)

As a dog lover I have just come across an advert in donedeal.ie with the title "Siberian Huskies ready for Christmas" and although I don't normally get too animated (excuse the pun), I thought the advert was disgraceful.

Every year lots of puppies are given as presents at Christmas, only to be brought to a pound or shelter a few weeks later.

Is this a puppy farm? Any breeder advertising puppies for Christmas should be prosecuted.

I was of the opinion that no responsible breeder or animal lover would allow pups to go out at christmas. What's your views?

Edited to correct spelling :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

"Siberian Huskies ready for Christmas"

Flipping heck. These are serious animals, and only for the most dedicated dog lover. I got one from a shelter before for a day or two, and she was an absoloute handful.

You need serious amounts of time, energy and space for an animal like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

Ready for Christmas? Hope the pounds and rescues are ready in March when those cute fluffy puppies arent quite so cute or fluffy. Its extraordinary that people still think dogs are suitable Christmas presents :mad: If there was no demand for puppies like this, the BYBs and puppy mills just wouldnt exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

there were similar ads in the Buy & Sell last year... apparently a West Highland puppy is an "ideal Christmas gift". Those were the exact words. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

More from DoneDeal:

"full predigree lovley cute toy poodles pups for sale black and 4 white ready in 3 weeks nice christmas gifts for only e310. secure by a depoist.
    also 2 bitches 1 white 1 black also a great white stud dog ikc reg good oppuntunity for breeding. cheap dogs e350 each or quick sale e900 for the lot."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Eejits

It's like talking to a brick wall with some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I predict eventhough there's more advertisement of animal welfare than ever people are getting more stupid and money hungry each year, I bet this year (and 2007) will be one of the worst yet.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

franksm wrote:
    Eejits

It's like talking to a brick wall with some people.
    Would you like to give that statement some weight, or do you usually just waltz into a forum and say things like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Would you like to give that statement some weight, or do you usually just waltz into a forum and say things like this?

Are you joking ?? Go back and read this thread from the start.

With all the "a dog is for life, not just for Christmas" advertising that goes on (or is that just in the North that I see it), and all the advice purported on Pet Rescue (CH4) and all - and stupid people still take the 19th/20th century point of view with animals/pets as disposable items ???

I stand by what I said, if we're not getting through to idiots selling puppies for Christmas, then I don't know what. Make it illegal ?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

So your answer is that you do just waltz into forums calling people idiots/eejits because you think you can justify it because you have superfluous moral standards? Is that it? Or am I taking you up wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Or am I taking you up wrong?

You are. He's saying the breeders selling puppies as "Christmas presents" are idiots, not anyone on this thread.

• Advertisement

In that case, I think I should take up smoking again. It's obviously affecting my ability to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

In that case, I think I should take up smoking again. It's obviously affecting my ability to read.

Chewing gum seems to be very good for the braincells (at least that's what the Chinese think);), or maybe you need reading glasses?

Advertisement