Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 27-10-2006 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for posting this here, but my computer wont let me log in.

I have deleted cookies, etc, but every time I log in it just keeps bringing me back to the sign in page?

Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

maybe you've been banned again?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Not banned, no. Have you tried a different browser?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Is anybody else seeing what looks like a deleted account or have I finally cracked?

She posted on PI as she couldn't log in, so that's an unregistered post! Although she has posted since this thread and hasn't come back to let us know what the problem was.

I was wondering whether Feedback now allowed unregged posts.

Edit: Gordon answered my wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Oh, I am so sorry! This is actually the first time I have actually seen this thread in feedback.

At the time I managed to get in touch with a mod via Google talk and he helped me to fix the problem, so I completely forget to check in on the feedback forum to see what was happening!

Sorry, sorry, sorry! :p

No problem. What was the problem and how did it get fixed exactly?

Well we came to the conclusion that the problem is with my PC.
    It's a bit strange though, as the problem only occurs when I am browsing boards.

EXAMPLE - I type in .. www.boards.ie and it brings me to the main page, I log in, but I return the page I just looked at - and don't appear to be logged in.

So I click refresh, and am then taken to the updated page, which shows my log in status, etc.

Also, whenever I click into a forum, say AH, it will show me all the recent threads, etc, as normal.. but the next time I click on the AH page it takes me back to the old page, as in the one I looked at hours ago, instead of a newer version.

I don't know if I am explaining myself very well, but basically, whenever I am browsing any of the boards pages I have to click the refresh button to view the most recent version of the page.

This doesn't happen on any other site though - I have just kinda gotten used to the fact that I need to constantly refresh when using the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

That sounds like how you've got cache-management set up in your browser.

How to deal with that depends on which browser you use, so my first question is "which browser do you use?"

As far as I know I just use a basic IE explorer. I don't use FireFox anymore as it was always freezing on me.

• Advertisement

Have you cleared your cache and cookies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Okay. In that case go to the properties page where you dealt with clearing your cache (with IE7 that's now "General", then under "Browsing History" you hit the "Settings" button, though it was somewhere slightly different to that before the upgrade to IE7).

There'll be a list of options for "Check for newer versions of stored pages" with options of "Every time I visit the webpage", "Every time I start Internet Explorer", "Automatically" and "Never".

In general "Automatically" should work correctly (generally trying for new versions of pages, but sometimes not doing so based on webservers sending headers which mean things like "this page isn't going to change for at least a day" and so on).

Having it set to "Every time I start Internet Explorer" or "Never" would cause the problems you are describing.

If it is set to "Automatically" and you are still having this problem, then try "Every time I visit the webpage", though unless you are having difficulties this setting is a waste of bandwidth.

Also, are you in an office that uses a web proxy? It's possible the proxy is set up to be too agressive with caching (i.e. assuming that stale pages aren't stale and just giving you the page from the proxy cache rather than from the web).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Has been happening to myself aswell on FF2.0 in the last week.

Click a forum/thread and it shows me as logged in.

Advertisement