Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who would buy Becks ?

• 27-10-2006 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Looks like Beckhams days with Real are numbered and he seems to be the only one who believes his own press.

a. Surely Madrid wont offer him a new deal just to sell shirts ?

b. If he leaves Madrid where would he go ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'm sure there are plenty of club chairmen around the world who are willing to indulge the hype and flog a few jerseys. The player may have been found out for the one-trick pony that he is but the persona lives on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Who would buy becks?

These lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

God knows what that lad with the long hair in pic 1 would do with a pretty boy like Becks. Wouldn't like to be stuck in a cell with him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

he's probably make a bunch of cash if he just jumped ship to america and joined new york red bulls or something

dont see him in the premiership again unless he pulls a robbie fowler

it depends on what role he see's himself in coming towards the end of his career, there are worse roles than a sub for real madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I wouldn't be Beckhams biggest fan but i wont dis him for being a celebrity as well as a footballer, its not his fault he is over hyped by media.
    In footballing terms there are plenty of teams that could fit Beckham into their team, it all depends on the role the manager wants him to play, he has got bags of experience at top level, he is one of the best crossers of a ball around in my opinion, with the right type of striker and tactics, he can be used very effectively

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

We were talking about this in the pub on Wednesday. My guess is that Newcastle will stick in a bid, but didn't becks say awhile ago that he'd like to play in America.. Makes sense, they love him there and he'd make a forture playing ****.

Plus hes like best friends with Tom Cruise. (who is apparently making a film about him or something)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

there was something in the paper during the week where he is supposed to have said that he would like to return to Man U but i couldnt see it happening. America is a possibility or maybe some rich Saudi team. I think he would have to take a massive pay cut to move to prem side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He'll end up playing in the States I'd say. His wife will love the LA lifestyle of the rich and famous.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Think United wouldn't happen
    Though with the glazers hunger for money and marketing you never know!

He'll prob end up stateside with his new best mate Tom "Placenta Eating" Cruise

It would be a shame if he went to the states, i believe he still has alot to offer in football and is far from a spent force, just needs a new challenge and motivation.
    Just look at scholes and giggs, they look like two new players at this late stage in their careers

• Advertisement

I would take Giggs or Scholes over Becks anyday of the week. Becks is so one dimensional its hard to see how any team with an ounce of ambition would sign him. Giggs and Scholes have so much more to their game

sundula wrote:
    I would take Giggs or Scholes over Becks anyday of the week. Becks is so one dimensional its hard to see how any team with an ounce of ambition would sign him. Giggs and Scholes have so much more to their game

Never said he was better....
    But i dont think he is as one dimensional as you may think but that is only a matter of opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Well as a man u fan, our strikers have missed his service terribly!
    I'd take him back now, definitely, though couldn't see it happening...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Beckham has had a bad two years. He hasn't looked physically or mentally right the last few times I have seen him play a part for Madrid. He was woeful at the World Cup.

There is always the possibillity that a move and a fresh start could rejuvanate his career. However, it is difficult to consider him in the "World Class" bracket these days.

A return to Newcastle would make some sense from a footballing point of view. But, would the wife move there? The US is a possibillity alright as his future decisions will be affected in some way by marketing and marital considerations.

My opinoin on Beckham - particularlly the older he got, has always been that in was allowed far to much time on the ball in England and given far to much respect. I thinks he has no pace, poor tackling, poor in the air, cant really go past people, doesnt track back and never demonstrated any of the key skills required to be a captain. However if your other 10 players are willing to give another 10% each to carry him i have no doubt that he can put the ball on a strikers head/put from 40-50 yards easy. He has great ability to cross a ball and this also translates well to his free kick taking. I think he needs just far to much time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He'll end up at Spurs, imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

There's been talk of him coming to MLS but MLS has a salary cap with a max $300K per player and a team cap of about $3m. Youri Djorkaeff only earns $200K/year for NYRB. Of course there are ways around this e.g. Claudio Suarez counts as only $160K to Chivas USA's cap but is also paid by the sister Chivas club in Mexico. For Beckham to join NY or LA he could only be paid below the MLS cap and sign some other endorsement deal (say with Red Bull) for say $10m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

West Ham for me. The new owners will want a big name signing for their new club. He'll be like a brand new toy for them. Plus Posh will be happy enough in London as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

It would be good to see him in the premiership imo.

He was never a world class player, he could never run with the ball and he never had pace. The only thing he can do is hand a stiker a goal like no one else.

Anyone have any idea how many assists he's had in his career? I'd say it would be above average:)

I still don't see why McLaren doesn't have him in the team, even on the bench, he would be the man to bring on in the 70th minute to put in the perfect cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I wouldnt write him off at Real Madrid at all yet , i can see him getting back in the team soon enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

id say he will stay where he is, this is probably all media talk. madrid would still propably look for a lot of money for him.

I would like to get one good year off him at united but fergie has moved on and seems to be going for youth these days, so i think its a no go there. Its also highly unlikely that his popularity is anywhere near what it was, so his marketing aspect is probably not that strong over the past year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

AFAIK the USA League is looking to end the salary cap but limiting the extra payment to one player per team so some "superstars" could be tempted across the pond for something other than a retirement season.

Mike.

Advertisement