Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jap import car

Options
  • 27-10-2006 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

I thinking of buying a imported car, seen a small 2 door sporty looking car on the street looks like a tyota or a mazda not too sure, at the time my friend told me it was a popular jap import, would love to what it was any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 billyk

hannable80 wrote:
    I thinking of buying a imported car, seen a small 2 door sporty looking car on the street looks like a tyota or a mazda not too sure, at the time my friend told me it was a popular jap import, would love to what it was any ideas?
    might have been a mazda rx-7 1.3

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭hannable80

yeah thats the one see one this morning looked class.....whats insurance like for jap imported cars? is it more expensive?
    what are jap car's like when they come in, do they have to pass the nct , does the import duty cost alot?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Damage

Depends on your age and No claims discount as an RX7 is definitely regarded as a high performance car.Although it has a 1300cc displacement(engine size) it pushes out over 200brake horsepower.Beautiful car,some say high maintenance but not with proper care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Steve_waterford

I am looking to start up importing cars from japan and whould like to hear from somebody who has imported one or more cars in from japan?
    As i understand there in 10% customs charge on price paid for car.
    Then vrt depends 23.5 on cars below 1400cc
    And 25% on cars up to 1900cc and 3o% on cars above 1900cc and that this is charged at the (OMSP) open market selling price,Basically what the goverment say the car is worth regardless of what you paid for it.
    After that VAT is at 21% not sure if that is on price you paid or the OMSP IF anybody knows??
    Also how can i accuretly check teh OMSP price before i bring in the car as have being told isnt as clear cut as that??
    Plus some reliable sites to get cars from?
    I can be coantcted at
    southernirishguy7@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

twould be a bad time to start up a import company id say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

would be a good idea if you were loaded and could bring in alot of popular cars and vrt and register them before july because you'll have cars that will be sought after because they will not have to pay the higher tax rate after july but after july 1st the import business will effectively be dead.

about the rx7, they need an engine build around every 70k miles and thats with alot of care gone into them, there taxed as a 1.8 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

got an mr2 gt turbo, its a jap import.

insurence is the same as if it was bought in ireland, not too bad at all.

bear in mind you'll need to use octane additive if u dont get an aftermarket ecu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 PurelyEsoteric

Yeah you'd want to get an aftermarket or a remapped ecu for Irish fuels. They have a different octane rating to Jap fuels, so not changing the ecu can cause a loss in HP and increased wear and tear.

So what exactly is the change in july??
    Not looking at tuned cars intending to stay away from that side,was going more for high spec Suvs and cars like that.

So what exactly is the change in july??
    Not looking at tuned cars intending to stay away from that side,was going more for high spec Suvs and cars like that.

high end cars like the market you appear to be aiming for will be hit with a 2k a year tax bill based on emissions after july 1st, theres loads of threads on it in the motors section, do a search

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭KidCapree

savage cars if done nicely..

111-MAZDA-RX7-04.jpg

rx7-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Am i right in sayin that they made a change to the tax laws today so the tax wont be based on cars imported after July? Only cars that are first registered abroad after jan this year will be taxed this way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

If your looking at these talk to the irish rotary club. (google search)

Know the car as a poorly maintained car will like all poorly maintained cars, eat your wallet and make you cry.

Rx7 is a fantastic car and if your capable of re-building a rotary in your shed there's no other like it.

What if i maybe just aim for the hybrid market and start be bringing in some toyota prias. Whould escape the high costs that way??????
    Actually sounds like good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

that second pic that says hpi racing is actually a remote control car.

first one looks nice though.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    that second pic that says hpi racing is actually a remote control car.

first one looks nice though.

without the spoiler i'd have it!

@steve, yeh sounds like a plan, i'd be doin alot of research first though if i was you

Advertisement