Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network problems

Options
  • 27-10-2006 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I have connected 3 computers in my home using rj45 connections via network port. All 3 are connected to my multi port modem. We all have broadband. We are trying to share a printer. The printer does not have a network port. Its connected via a parallel port. I have set them up to share network & I have loaded the software for the printer in all pcs. It will only allow me print from the pc conneted. Should I connect them through a swith & connect the switch through the modem.?
    Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Moved from adverts support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Share the printer on the PC it is physically connected to, connect to it from the other PCs as you would any other share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

elgan wrote:
    I have connected 3 computers in my home using rj45 connections via network port. All 3 are connected to my multi port modem. We all have broadband. We are trying to share a printer. The printer does not have a network port. Its connected via a parallel port. I have set them up to share network & I have loaded the software for the printer in all pcs. It will only allow me print from the pc conneted. Should I connect them through a swith & connect the switch through the modem.?
    Any advice would be appreciated
    Your "multi-port modem" is a switch. It will allow you to communicate between any of the PCs plugged into it.

But if you expect to use the printer a lot, this might be a better solution.

Advertisement