Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Steering rattle

Options
  • 27-10-2006 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭

Guys
    Above 30mph when i brake im getting a woefull shake thru the steering wheel.First thing that obviously springs to mind is warped disc.The thing is i replaced both discs and pads about two months ago and just noticed this recently.

Had the wheels off yesterday to see if pads were loose or if there was any wobble but all seemed fine.Iv covered about 1k so i presume there well bedded in and i made a point of not jamming or harsh breaking for the first 200miles on them

I know the tracking needs to be done and the wheels are new so they've just been balanced but any other ideas what it could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

could be play with the bushings on the wishbones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Could be anything.
    What sort of car are we addressing.
    Did you use OEM parts or aftermarket.

It IS possible for poor quality disks to warp quickly if heated.

Any possibiity of rust on the disk. If you have a rusted patch, it can cause a pulse in the brakes which gets transmitted through the steering.

It is possible to have a new & flat disk installed improperly so it behaves warped.

You coudl have a warped or damaged wheel which would also cause a pulse in the steering

And you could have worn bushings, which bushings, No idea, any or all.

Tracking would certainly help.

First, switch the rear and front tyres see if there is any change. If yes, switch them back one at a time.

Advertisement