Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hard drives and magnets

Options
  • 27-10-2006 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

basically dead ipod, refuses to go back to factory settings.

i think the hard drive might be fudged , however i was wondering i have a few v powerful magnets if i put them beside the ipod will it either wipe the hd completely or kill the hd all together ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

magick wrote:
    basically dead ipod, refuses to go back to factory settings.

i think the hard drive might be fudged , however i was wondering i have a few v powerful magnets if i put them beside the ipod will it either wipe the hd completely or kill the hd all together ?

Very unlikely to do either - the electronics are more likely to be the problem than the disk's magnetic layer. If you can find an EEPROM in there, I'd suggest replacing it with a new one cloned to one from a working ipod.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Try launching it over the Shannon with a trebuchet. It would have about as much chance of success.

Ring retailer/Apple and whinge till they send you a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Sometime the heads that read the hard drive can get stuck through what is known as stiction.
    Give player a good swift bang as its powering up and it might unstick the heads, you've nothing to lose really if its already b*lloxed.
    If the heads have crashed into the platters though then its goodbye hard drive :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Give player a good swift bang as its powering up
    lol
    Good old percussive maintenance.
    Never fails to make you feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Ah yes, a hammer. I would have no hesitation in recommending the action of a hammer. In fact, all ipod users should hit their ipods with a hammer every time they think of using it near their PC

• Advertisement
Advertisement