Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to get it there?

Options
  • 27-10-2006 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

My mate is in a bit of a spot. He has a car thats been off the road, so no tax and not insured, since the end of july. He's selling it to a guy in Galway so obviously has to get it there. nsurance isnt an issue as that can be swapped over but tax is. It's a 2.5 so the 3 months back tax is €231 . He's driving his new car so doesnt really want to be stuck with a car thats taxed if the guy doesnt buy it for some reason.

Plus he wants me to go with him and I dont fancy being stranded somewhere between here Dublin and Galway after the cars been impounded.

Is there any way a guard will accept the excuse and an rf 100 signed by a guard to say its been off the road since july, should we be stopped?

Any other solutions?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can it not wait until the start of Nov - otherwise its liable for tax for the month of October?
    If it has been off the road then a signed/stamped RF100 will get them out of the tax arrears but if it is not sent then a garda won't listen to any excuse if stopped.
    My suggestion: get the new owner to take it on Nov 1st. They will be liable for any tax since they took ownership of it anyhow. They can drive it home if they just bought it and a garda is likely to let them go.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stekelly wrote:
    Is there any way a guard will accept the excuse and an rf 100 signed by a guard to say its been off the road since july, should we be stopped?

To prove it's off the road while you're actually driving it? Eh, no ;)

As kbannon said, tax it for 3 months from November 1st using the RF100 (so you don't have to pay back tax over July-October)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Or get the buyer pay for the tax?

When I bought my car it had been parked up for a month* with no tax. I paid the garage the purchase price + 12 mths tax. They got the RF100 form sorted and 12mths tax from the date I had the car.

*:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

or u cud get that slip of paper that says the car has just been bought :) but u have to know people for that.

Advertisement