Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu 6.10 - Edgy Eft

• 27-10-2006 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

Ubuntu 6.10 has been released.

I downloaded the CD and did a fresh install on a spare 40gb disk I had.

The install want perfectly but then again I am using some pretty boring hardware (Dell Optiplex GX270) so I would not expect anything else.

Some things I have noticed.

- Firefox 2.0 which was also released yesterday - it has a spell checker which will help many boards.ie users ;)
    - Faster boot time
    - New theme - I don't like the background as I think it is too pale.
    - Tomboy notes included - I found this app a while ago thanks to Tux Magazine - it is a great little app for note taking.

I will update as I continue to use.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I'm planning to get me some edgy eft as soon as I have the spare time. Good to see boot time has improved - it improved a good bit with Dapper when it came out too, it was horribly slow with 5.10 and before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,055 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Have Ubuntu improved support for Broadcom wireless cards? Absolute nightmare to get working on 6.06...!

Still haven't got mine working! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I found an article on broadcom on 6.06. You need to disable and blacklist the kernel module that comes with it and use ndiswrapper instead. I have mine working just fine. HTH.

Khannie wrote:
    I found an article on broadcom on 6.06. You need to disable and blacklist the kernel module that comes with it and use ndiswrapper instead. I have mine working just fine. HTH.
    Cheers for the info Khannie. Will give it a try.

Not too proficient on Unix commands but i found a guide to setting up my Broadcom card on Ubuntu but ended up getting lost with the lack of feedback from the commands i put in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Khannie wrote:
    Same here, have an internal one in my laptop.

I checked the paths for all the commands the guide I found used and just threw it all into a shell script. Executed that and BAM, wireless worked...

Of course this is on 5.10 because 6.06 never worked with my card...

• Advertisement

Squill wrote:
    Not too proficient on Unix commands but i found a guide to setting up my Broadcom card on Ubuntu but ended up getting lost with the lack of feedback from the commands i put in.

The guide I had did take some fiddling but I'll have a look at home to see if I have it bookmarked and let you know.

The process was essentially as I described though: blacklist the broadcom module, install ndiswrapper, install windows drivers, cross fingers. :)

That's be great Khannie.. cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Khannie wrote:
    The guide I had did take some fiddling but I'll have a look at home to see if I have it bookmarked and let you know.

The process was essentially as I described though: blacklist the broadcom module, install ndiswrapper, install windows drivers, cross fingers. :)
    I had to do the same for my Belkin USB wireless adapter. I had no issues in Breezy or Dapper, but Edgy picked up the hardware and loaded the driver rt73usb, which didn't work. Had to blacklist this and use ndiswrapper... there was a small problem in that Edgy packaged a very outdated version of ndiswrapper which was no good to me, and since the wireless was my only route to internet, I would have been screwed only for the fact that I had ndiswrapper-1.8 backed up on /home partition.

Oh yeah, that reminds me, I had to build ndiswrapper from source also (this is straightforward).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Khannie wrote:
    Ah, that explains where I went wrong, I forgot the 'cross fingers' step :)

Actually just got it working without ndiswrapper though thanks to this post on ubuntuforums.org. Very simple, it just worked right away for me, and I'm not too sure (this is my first linux install) but I think it's more 'native' than ndiswrapper so should perform better ?

• Advertisement

That looks like a fine solution alright (with the only possible downside being the need to update after kernel updates, which are regular enough in the ubuntu world, though ofc, you can fix the kernel version to your current one).

I've had no performance issues with ndiswrapper mind you. I do use a wired connection for the machine I play UT2004 on though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'm going to install Kubuntu for this time. I just seem to like KDE more than Gnome. Ditching windows forever on my PC this time as well... as Vista just seems too resource heavy and too forcing for my liking... Hopefully Wine will find some way in the future for DX10 support.

Advertisement