Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why would anybody buy a performance car???

Options
  • 27-10-2006 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Don't get me wrong - I'm a frequent boardster. I love cars and I'm not anti-performance-car.

I hate the way Irish buyers go for the smallest-engine/biggest-car as a default choice (e.g. 1.4 Octavia) or titchy 1.4 diesels in Focus-sized cars. I think it's positivly dangerous to have a car so slow it can't overtake properly.

However...
    why buy an M3, GTI, hot Civic etc when the politicans & gardai are increasingly targeting speed. It's becoming impossible to drive even 'sensibly' fast in this country. And I think driving a performance car is gonna be like a red-rag-to-a-bull for the cops...

Does anyone really need anything above say 130-150bhp (or slightly more in anything 5-series size or above)???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

This is actually quite true. Around 8 years ago, I bought a Lancia Delta HF integrale, a car which I still have. At the time, it was about as much fun as I've ever had behind the wheel. These days, though, I have to admit that the car is simply unsuitable for Irish roads. I'm now driving a debadged 13 year old Mercedes C280 auto. This is pretty much the perfect car for me, it's quick enough to be both safe & entertaining, bland enough not to be noticed, comfortable in heavy traffic, and old enough that the odd parking rub doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

One of the reasons why after two seriously fast Saab turbos I went and bought my current crutch on wheels is that I simply didn't need the perfomance ...in fact it was becoming a nuisance.

Nothing is more frustrating than knowing your car has the potential to just go and zoom past whatever idiot(s) is (are) holding you up ...but you can't ...because you're not allowed to.

And even if the road is clear and empty ...to get the real enjoyment out of a performance car ...the "extra" that it offers over and above any other car ...in most cases you have to go well beyond the legal boundaries as well.

Sure ...there always are the little "drag races" from traffic lights or roundabaouts up to the speed limit, or the devastatingly quick overtaking maneuvres ...but after a while that just felt childish. Or I found myself overtaking just for the sake of it and/or in places where I shouldn't have.

Still, I'm glad I had the chance to get this performance car thing out of my system by having had one and deciding it wasn't really worth it, rather than by some authority (or even just "common sense") telling me I couldn't/mustn't get one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Cos I always wanted one. I had a list when I was younger..
    Celica, Gto, 300zx, Cosworth Sierra, 911, 308, Testarossa, f40.
    I have been through all up to Testarossa, but I missed the cossie.... ill get one someday.
    So my reason is childhood dreams.......:D :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Kersh wrote:
    So my reason is childhood dreams.......:D :);)

Same here, just picked up a new car this week. MR2 Turbo (about 240bhp, closer to 220 on Irish fuel). I don't drive all that fast but I do like being able to get to 120kph on the motorway in a couple of seconds..

pburns wrote:
    However...
    why buy an M3, GTI, hot Civic etc when the politicans & gardai are increasingly targeting speed. It's becoming impossible to drive even 'sensibly' fast in this country. And I think driving a performance car is gonna be like a red-rag-to-a-bull for the cops...

Does anyone really need anything above say 130-150bhp (or slightly more in anything 5-series size or above)???

Not really. But then again do people need electric windows? Air conditioning? & Many other little luxurys in the car..

I see where you are coming from. I think you view cars as nothing more as a tool for getting from A to B. Figures like bhp are unimportant to you.

However as someone that enjoys driving I like to have the performance and the extra bit of kick that comes with higher performance cars. I can do this without breaking every speed limit under the sun or having my licence catch fire. Its not all about speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

ronoc wrote:
    I see where you are coming from. I think you view cars as nothing more as a tool for getting from A to B. Figures like bhp are unimportant to you.

I don't think that need necessarily be the case. Something as fast as an M3 is really a caged tiger in Ireland, there is nowhere to use it. Even for overtaking, it has far more power than necessary.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So what is deemed necessary?
    Cars are becoming heavier due to the safety orientated design. This extra weight needs to be carried.
    My car is 2.5L and has 172bhp. It is by no means powerful as the weight under it sucks most of it away. However, whilst it can achieve over 120mph easily (with a half decent mpg), I don't do this kind of speed on our roads because Im not stupid.

Anyhow a bugatti veyron (1001bhp) is not a dangerous car unless it is driven dangerously. A 20 year old bog standard fiesta is dangerous if driven at 80km/h in a housing estate!

maidhc wrote:
    I don't think that need necessarily be the case. Something as fast as an M3 is really a caged tiger in Ireland, there is nowhere to use it. Even for overtaking, it has far more power than necessary.

On the road perhaps? Who says you have to drive the stones out of it?
    Every car is a caged animal.

ronoc wrote:
    On the road perhaps? Who says you have to drive the stones out of it?
    Every car is a caged animal.
    By that reasoning I could use my Delta every day, driving it as if it were a VW Golf. Sure I could in principle, but it would be both pointless and nigh-on impossible in practise.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not really - if your car is not safe to drive then you don't drive it (or at least not at a speed where it becomes unsafe)

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    By that reasoning I could use my Delta every day, driving it as if it were a VW Golf. Sure I could in principle, but it would be both pointless and nigh-on impossible in practise.

I don't think its fair to compare a terrifing little hot hatch like that with a modern BMW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I drive a 192 BHP Mazda and while I never go at excessive speed the breaking and cornering performance are great. People forget that its not only straight line performance it how fast you can corner safely. I may not go above the speedlimit often but I rarely have to break around a corner either. Also taking off from lights is an other reason to own one, zero to speed limit quickly is not against the law.. A car that can go 155 MPH can also break back down very qiuckly indeed making it safer at the lower speed limit.

Lets not forget the poser value either.

kbannon wrote:
    Not really - if your car is not safe to drive then you don't drive it (or at least not at a speed where it becomes unsafe)
    I think you're missing the point - it's not the car, it's me.;)
    ronoc wrote:
    I don't think its fair to compare a terrifing little hot hatch like that with a modern BMW!
    My mistake, I was thinking of the original, handbuilt one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

there are a variety of reasons - the thrill, the satisfaction of achieving a goal of having a sports/performance car, the surge of power, the sound..... Its for some people, not for others.

I had a 350Z for a year and it was great - then for practicality reasons changed to a 520d diesel. I consoled myself by saying exactly what is said above - what use is 280 bhp, how often in reality do you want to go 0-60 in under 6 seconds etc. In reality you dont "need" this.

However... after saying all this - I do miss the power/performance. In an ideal world you would have a performance car for the weekend and something more practical for during the week. However this is a luxury that many of us cant afford (Note: Euromillions is over 100 mill tonight!!)

Also taking off from lights is an other reason to own one, zero to speed limit quickly is not against the law..

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

ronoc wrote:

As maidhc points out, this is certainly NOT the case... I have to admit to not adhering to every speed limit and not AGREEING with many of the ridiculously slow limits that are being ever more rigidly enforced. That's a whole other argument I don't want to get into right now.

I don't want to target one car but the 3-series range provides a good example. A 320d (about 160 BHP) will do 140mph, 0-60 in 8.3 seconds, great mid-range poke. A 330d should provide more than enough poke for anyone...
    330i, 335i, M3 - who needs 'em!!

Anyway, I think if you really love cars it shouldn't be all about speed or bhp or any of that juvenile nonesense. Gordon Murray, designer of the McLaren F1 waxs lyrical about the Citroen Berlingo(!?), various motoring journalist types once championed the 2CV as personal transport. Neither of these would get me hot-and-bothered around the old nether regions but it ain't all about Evos & Scoobys & S4s & 911s...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a good topic and one I should'nt contribute to as I have a small engine/big car combination! (Audi A6 1.8), it seems to me that if you use your car to commute (and live in Dublin esp) then you might as well buy a car which is nice to be in rather then quick or powerful at the max.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

mike65 wrote:
    Its a good topic and one I should'nt contribute to as I have a small engine/big car combination! (Audi A6 1.8), it seems to me that if you use your car to commute (and live in Dublin esp) then you might as well buy a car which is nice to be in rather then quick or powerful at the max.

Mike.

Definitely, but is there really all that much compromise with modern performance cars? I'd have thought that most of them are just as nice to drive around town in traffic as a standard hatchback.

It really depends on how you define a performance car anyway - a BMW 320CD (diesel coupe - never available over here I think?) will return 50MPG, but still decent performance.

pburns wrote:

Anyway, I think if you really love cars it shouldn't be all about speed or bhp or any of that juvenile nonesense. Gordon Murray, designer of the McLaren F1 waxs lyrical about the Citroen Berlingo(!?), various motoring journalist types once championed the 2CV as personal transport. Neither of these would get me hot-and-bothered around the old nether regions but it ain't all about Evos & Scoobys & S4s & 911s...

Well thats why they make different types of cars! Nobody has the same needs or preferences in cars. Some people like the extra power.

I drive a ford focus at the moment (1.4L too much power lol) and i love it. It has great road holding and handling. The biggest petrol engine in it here (apart from the st and rs models) is the 1.6! In the uk they can give you up to a 2.0l in the standard focus. Thats more to do with the way they are taxed here.

ronoc wrote:
    In the uk they can give you up to a 2.0l in the standard focus. Thats more to do with the way they are taxed here.

I looked at a 2litre Focus sport a few months back, might have been a UK imort tho'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I believe it's an age thing.

For me, it's always been a childhood dream (;) @ kersh) , and I reckon enough of it is left for a TVR (I will own one someday, even if I'll probably manage about 500 annuals kms in it year-in year-out :D). Over the years, I've been through a Delta Integrale, and a few choice others (nothing german, I'll happily attest), ending up modestly back down with a 1.8 MX5 (mk1).

...And then you grow up, you get married, you get kids, you work more, etc, etc.

Sometime very soon, the MX5 is being retired to France for storage at the family home, because I only do 1000 kms a year in it tops (age... babies, less free time, commtiments, this-that-the-other), but I don't want to sell it. I'd get, what... €6000 all-in? '98, pristine, ltd ed, 45000 miles all fully verified, FMDSH etc. So, price/cost/enjoyment equation sez keep it, even for 500 kms a year (no more road tax, €150 fully-comp, NCT every 2 years).

So there ya have it...

Young, care-free, earning, "aspirational" ? sports car while-u-can-because-u-can :)

Maturing, responsibilities, family way, earning more (and paying more) ? family car because-u-have-to :(

A good compromise? - the one we're keeping as a daily, the Impreza. Or a std Legacy saloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Diesel performance cars are the way forward.

The new Octy 170bhp TDi how could you go wrong with that.

Easy to drive and comfortable affordability and big enough for the family, so dad can drop the kids off at school and have some fun on the way home again.

Astra CDTI 150bhp is being tuned to 200bhp in the UK, why because its about the performance and the thrill. Its about men having the power and the control and having fun.

I went to DG Opel in Dublin to look at the new Astra Sportshatch, they had loads of 1.4's as his main customers where from Dublin city and there wasnt a demanded for powerful cars in the city.

On the other hand it helps to have a bit of performance when passing out a lorry doing 30 mph on our country roads if you have to work or something. This would be more dangerous in a 1.4 compared to a 2.0T.

Another thing a 1.4 in an octy will not be as reliable as a 2.0 because its under great strain to pull the cars weight. Thats why you see 10 year old big engine cars still ploughing along nicely as you dont have to rev the crap out of them in order to make the car move.

Mondello is a great place here to bring your car for track days and just go for it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Chicks. Chicks dig the cars. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

:D:D ^^^^ Thats what most people think... the truth however, they dont care.. buy them lots of girly things and they will love you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

MarkR wrote:
    Chicks. Chicks dig the cars. :D

See what I mean with my it's an age thing theory? :D

(and my theory therefore actually happens to be verified by mid-life crisis-hitting 40-somethings, double-:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

When I win the Euromillions tonight I am going to buy a Morgan Aero 8.

ambro25 wrote:
    Young, care-free, earning, "aspirational" ? sports car while-u-can-because-u-can :)

Exactly, you might aswell get one while your young and able to afford and run one.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

mloc123 wrote:
    Exactly, you might aswell get one while your young and able to afford and run one.

And you don't need back seats with child seat connections! A friend of mine wasn't too happy having to sell his Z4 after only 6 months when his wife had an untimely pregnancy! :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Bloke I know has an Aston Martin DB7, wow, what a car. Just sitting in it you can out stare any performance car snob in a high spec Merc, bmw etc. Put your foot down and you are pushed back into the seat like a 737 on the runway at Dublin airport. Just unreal.

But this bloke spends more time in his wife's Mini because the Aston just isn't practical to drive around... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Dyflin wrote:
    Bloke I know has an Aston Martin DB7, wow, what a car. Just sitting in it you can out stare any performance car snob in a high spec Merc, bmw etc. Put your foot down and you are pushed back into the seat like a 737 on the runway at Dublin airport. Just unreal.

But this bloke spends more time in his wife's Mini because the Aston just isn't practical to drive around... :rolleyes:

I would class an Aston Martin closer to the supercar category than the hot hatch type car that the OP is referring to.

Advertisement