Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why would anybody buy a performance car???

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

eoin_s wrote:
    I would class an Aston Martin closer to the supercar category than the hot hatch type car that the OP is referring to.

Yeah but the point is, the car can never reach it's driving potential so why bother? Be it a super car or hot hatch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

It makes sense to have performance to a point. But I have to agree with peasant about wanting to use the available power.

When I am in my Alfa, I know I can easily outpace a lot of other cars on the road, and as peasant says, I have found myslef overtaking cars, because I can. This is obviously not the way to be on the roads.

Yet, when I am in my Megane, I am happy to tootle along and enjoy the comfort of the drive.

So, I suppose we nearly all go through the same phases:

1. Want a car. Drive a banger.
    2. Young and out to impress, drive a cheap car that 'looks' like it can perform.
    3. Getting places in life and can afford to make that car a reality, so enter the hot hatch, or affordable sports car.
    4. Doing well, insurance getting cheaper, more upmarket performance car.
    5. Family !!! Enter the family car.
    6. Family getting older, get a comfortable big car with performance.
    7. Kids growing up, missing the performance. But you have plenty of money now (no mortgage) so you buy a fully fledged cool machine. This is called the mid-life crisis.
    8. You cop on that you are too old for that, so trade up to a big comfy luxo-barge
    9. You realise you cannot park properly anymore, and the insurance is getting expensive again, back into your cheapo shoebox.
    10. Hearse

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

pburns wrote:
    why buy an M3, GTI, hot Civic etc when the politicans & gardai are increasingly targeting speed. It's becoming impossible to drive even 'sensibly' fast in this country. And I think driving a performance car is gonna be like a red-rag-to-a-bull for the cops...

Does anyone really need anything above say 130-150bhp (or slightly more in anything 5-series size or above)???

As other have posted , its not just about top speed, there far more to driving than straight line speed.

Afer making the transition from a an F650 BMW bike to cars the acceleration and handling is the one thing I miss most about bikes.

I mean 0-60mph in about 3 secs on two wheels is just a huge adrenalin rush, makes you feel good, so is zipping in and out of traffic, cornering etc etc.
    Irish weather isnt really suited to this most of the year so am now driving a car.

If I could get insured reasonably on a hot hatch or any other pokey car that came close to the old bikes performance i'd have one in a second!
    First have to build up a full no claims discount first and i'll be there.

For the record I'm no spring chicken at 35 , and don't forsee ever growing out of just enjoying being propelled from A to B in fun fashion, even if thats just overtaking, holding tight to the wheel accelerating away from standing still etc etc rather than just wanting to go 200mph down the road.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

prospect wrote:
    It makes sense to have performance to a point. But I have to agree with peasant about wanting to use the available power.

When I am in my Alfa, I know I can easily outpace a lot of other cars on the road, and as peasant says, I have found myslef overtaking cars, because I can. This is obviously not the way to be on the roads.

Yet, when I am in my Megane, I am happy to tootle along and enjoy the comfort of the drive.

So, I suppose we nearly all go through the same phases:

1. Want a car. Drive a banger.
    2. Young and out to impress, drive a cheap car that 'looks' like it can perform.
    3. Getting places in life and can afford to make that car a reality, so enter the hot hatch, or affordable sports car.
    4. Doing well, insurance getting cheaper, more upmarket performance car.
    5. Family !!! Enter the family car.
    6. Family getting older, get a comfortable big car with performance.
    7. Kids growing up, missing the performance. But you have plenty of money now (no mortgage) so you buy a fully fledged cool machine. This is called the mid-life crisis.
    8. You cop on that you are too old for that, so trade up to a big comfy luxo-barge
    9. You realise you cannot park properly anymore, and the insurance is getting expensive again, back into your cheapo shoebox.
    10. Hearse

lol, well said!

I'm driving the luxo-barge so not long before the hearse (at 37 insurance is still getting cheaper though).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Dyflin wrote:
    Yeah but the point is, the car can never reach it's driving potential so why bother? Be it a super car or hot hatch?

Because there is much less compromise with a hot hatch or performance car. The running costs may be slightly higher, but it is grand to use a daily driver.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

I drive an XK8 because:

It's fast.
    It's comfortable.
    It's high-spec.
    It accelerates great.
    It looks great.
    It handles great.
    It's the car I always wanted.

It's amazing for fast accelaration (overtaking & taking off), but I also let it rip at night on the M1 the odd time - great rush. I generally drive fast (just a bit faster than the limit, but never in built-up areas), but sensibly.

And its also amazingly comfortable & smooth for just driving at regular speeds or cruising around locally - so why not?
    Contrary to what the OP is implying, it's not as if the car gets sh*tter just because I can't drive it at full speed all the time - it's a pleasure to drive in all situations and at all speeds.
    I don't forsee ever growing out of just enjoying being propelled from A to B in fun fashion, even if thats just overtaking, holding tight to the wheel accelerating away from standing still etc etc rather than just wanting to go 200mph down the road.

I fully agree. It'll always be fun to drive a good fast car! Let the squares & sensible prudes convince themselves otherwise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Not to hijack the post but would it be reasonable to stand for a political party for the purposes of derestricting certain roads (e.g., M8, M1, M7). The quality of these is superb.

France is at 130 kmph. I wouldn't mind lower speed limits in built up areas around cities if motorways could be at 150+. Maybe restrict it to an advanced license or something like the Insitute of Irish Motoring advanced test thing.

There's plenty of reasons to get a performance car,

SOund of the engine, exhaust
    Acceleration, mayeb more than top speed. Even on autobahns you don't get to drive for very long at 200+ as there is always traffic
    Bringing your car to a track (e.g., plenty in the UK, cheap to get to)

Likewise, there is little reason to buy a 40 inch LCD TV when a 14 inch will do the job - but when you pay the tax, you want to get the most you can maybe !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

Not to hijack the post but would it be reasonable to stand for a political party for the purposes of derestricting certain roads (e.g., M8, M1, M7). The quality of these is superb.

France is at 130 kmph. I wouldn't mind lower speed limits in built up areas around cities if motorways could be at 150+. Maybe restrict it to an advanced license or something like the Insitute of Irish Motoring advanced test thing.

There's plenty of reasons to get a performance car,

SOund of the engine, exhaust
    Acceleration, mayeb more than top speed. Even on autobahns you don't get to drive for very long at 200+ as there is always traffic
    Bringing your car to a track (e.g., plenty in the UK, cheap to get to)

Likewise, there is little reason to buy a 40 inch LCD TV when a 14 inch will do the job - but when you pay the tax, you want to get the most you can maybe !
    Get back on topic, or start a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

...Maybe restrict it to an advanced license or something like the Insitute of Irish Motoring advanced test thing.

Oh yeah ...the Insitute of Irish Motoring advanced licence to kill ...kill all the unsuspecting, inexperienced and untrained (possibly even unwashed:D ) masses who have trouble even coping with 120 km/h.

Mhhhm, yes ...that would go down well :D

On bit of a speed trip there, Captain ?

You might want to think that one over again before you're looking for political support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

The cars I've always really liked/wanted have been the fast(er) ones. Saying that, it's not all about speed, I love the handling of my missus's Puma, I loved my mini for the same reason (although it was a death trap).
    Have to agree though, my other post about an M3 is sort of answered by this post, it'd kill me being sat on the M50 knowing what it could do, but on the other hand knowing that it is what it is would be a good feeling. I'm confused, so I'll stop now...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

This country`s getting to be a joke alright. people should be able to buy whatever car they wish to, the way this country is going we`ll all be driving around in 3rd gear. All them roads reduced to 80m/h is laughable you`d do it 2nd gear. If they lower the already ridiculous limits anymore they may start selling cars with only 3gears in Ireland.

And all this because of 3/400 deaths a year from a 5million population with no proper driving test,,, hardly a "genuine" castrophy now is it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Get back on topic, or start a new one.
    Are you his dad?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Nuttzy wrote:
    This country`s getting to be a joke alright. people should be able to buy whatever car they wish to, :

Errrmmm ...I'm not aware of any legislation preventing you from BUYING whatever car you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I generally drive fast (just a bit faster than the limit, but never in built-up areas), but sensibly.

HA! That's what they all say before they wrap the car around a tree!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Max_Damage wrote:
    HA! That's what they all say before they wrap the car around a tree!

*Yawn* predictable.

So max damage ..you never drive above the speed limit ever ever ever, may I shine the halo on your micra?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Real performance cars, imo, are Ferrari, Porshe, BMW M3 (the nice 1) etc, people buy them because they can...

Performance cars suffer do from the same problems as standard cars, no matter how well built it is, its the nut that holds the wheel you have to worry about...:D

My advice to anyone who wants to drive fast is to take a trip to Mondello, and you'll find out just how ordinary a driver you are...and if you really want to have fun take a M11 round, and bring an extra set of rear tyres, you'll need them...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

no time to read all posts.

bottom of the range cars p*ss me off too. it's not so much their slowness.

bmw designers have given us 316,318, 320,323,325,328,330 and usually a couple iof M3s. yet paddy always wants a 316. check on autotrader, you'll find more 'nice' cars per head of population in the north than in the south. IMO it's not a vrt thing, it's a culural thing.

most of us can get a quick, luxurious, prestige, big, small or oddball car at a good price, if we want. if you're spending something like €15k on a clio when you can get so many better cars, i think you need your head examined.

it really is no wonder why 60,000 cars have come from elsewhere. car nuts just can't get satisfaction over here. the money is secondary to most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Ferrari, Porshe, BMW M3 (the nice 1) etc, people buy them because they can...

Not really... twas my dream, so I got one. Most people buy them for status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Slow cars tend to have crap brakes - keep that in mind the next time a kid runs out in front of you.
    There are many occasions where having surplus power can save your life - truck skidding in your direction - surplus power give you an option besides braking.

Just as there are situations where excess power can kill you, it can also save you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It has to be said though the fun is gone out of motoring, its just tedious now for sure with all the extra traffic and speed restrictions. I'm seriously considering selling my M5 and buying a helicopter, they're not much more to buy and run then a serious performance car and at least the sky isn't full of traffic........ yet.

Incidentally, Mods, any chance of starting an aircraft forum I'd say the time is about right now and I'm sure I'm not the only one taking to the sky or at least interested in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

selling my M5 and buying a helicopter
    :D
    Quality, do you have a licence yet, they're a bit trickier to move than a motor from what I've seen

Gatster wrote:
    :D
    Quality, do you have a licence yet, they're a bit trickier to move than a motor from what I've seen

I should have it by the end of January, weather permitting :rolleyes: and if I pass my test.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

The reason I went to a bigger car was more for comfort on a long journey.
    I have driven to Galway from Dublin in 1.2l cars and its 100's of times easier when driving a bigger engined and more powerful car.
    Being able to over take on the motor way without holding lots of people up is a bonus :)
    If I ever want to see what the car can do, I will be taking a trip over to Germany!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

junkyard wrote:
    Incidentally, Mods, any chance of starting an aircraft forum I'd say the time is about right now and I'm sure I'm not the only one taking to the sky or at least interested in it.

It's the admins who decide that, not the mods of the motor forum. Just go this forum and request a forum for all those boards.ie members who own aircraft.

Sorry about that Eoin I didn't know how it worked, thanks for your help.

Advertisement