Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shot pistols/would they be legal here?

Options
  • 27-10-2006 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭

Just an idea I am poking with.
    In the US there is a category of weapons known as Any Other Weapon [AOW] these cover the gamut of things like pen guns,cane guns etc.What we are intrested here are in are what we would call over here "shot pistols" These are either double barrel or pump action,or semi autos,that have 12 or 10 in barrels that are smoothbore.The important thing to differentate them from sawn off shotguns is [1]They are made like this from the manufacturer using totally new parts[2]they can only have pistol grips EVER!!.Putting a stock on one turns it into a Short Barrelled Shotgun [SBS] and requires a $200 federal transfer tax,as opposed to a $5 AOW transfer tax.Plus it will get you alot of Fed style trouble.[3] It must be smoothbore ASFIK
    Now, ASFIK there is no defination in Irish law as to what a shotgun is or a rifle or pistol?
    All that we have is the crime of creating a sawn off shotgun[which we are not as it is already built like so from the plant] Or shortening the barrel below 24ins. Yet,there is no ASAFIK specified length for a pistol barrel here either?
    So to boil it all down;
    Could one register 12 /20ga shot pistol without it being classified as a prohibited weapon or sawn off shotgun.Which it is clearly not?
    Is there any place in legislation that states here that a pistol MUST have a rifled barrel??
    No doubt they will chuck it under the "restricted category" if we all went off and applied for them,but on a case by case or once off??
    Why you want?For the new sport of big bore pistol shooting without all the hassle of purchasing exotic ammo or gun when 12 GA slugs is in plentiful supply these days
    Your thoughts gents and ladies??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

It strikes me that these would be about as much use and as pleasant to shoot as .577 nitro pistols.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Cant see the current licensing system handling 12b and pistol on the same cert!

If you get a .357/.38 pistol it cant handle that either. You need to licence as .38 or .357 and get an authorization sperate for the other:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Why not just adopt a Verey flare pistol to take shotgun shells?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Are they legal? Yes. Would you get a licence for one? Well, maybe - how long did it take you to get a 9mm pistol licence CG, and how long do you think it would take you to get a .729 calibre pistol licence based on that? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

If you get a .357/.38 pistol it cant handle that either. You need to licence as .38 or .357 and get an authorization sperate for the other:confused:[/QUOTE]

You can, and I have seen it more than once!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

I was told one or the other:confused:confused and I know of others (all south dublin area) the same:confused: Where were the ones you saw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Sparks wrote:
    Are they legal? Yes. Would you get a licence for one? Well, maybe - how long did it take you to get a 9mm pistol licence CG, and how long do you think it would take you to get a .729 calibre pistol licence based on that? :D

True indeed Sparks,but I put that down to Garda not wanting to do their job or somone in there making a complete bollix of things.Some real horror stories are coming out of my local HQ on firearms applications.Like a whole load going down the shredder,cos the transferred officer never botherd to inform the current FO when she came into the job what they were.She decides to sweep office so to speak. But in a perfect world:rolleyes: thirty days!
    Well considering some folks shoot .454 Casul or .050 Rugers and consider anything else wussy.:eek:
    And you pretty much answerd the legality question.As for getting the 9mm in my mitts,oh about another three weeks of wait.for the Feds to move the paperwork.Reason of the backlog they are upgrading the computor system.

Degsy wrote:
    Why not just adopt a Verey flare pistol to take shotgun shells?:confused:

Cos I dont want a single shot, ugly lookin yoke,that would be dangerous to fire due to the soft metal it is made out of.:eek: :D

But in a perfect world:rolleyes: thirty days!
    Well, three months. Assuming that the Super or Commissioner wants to issue the licence.
    Well considering some folks shoot .454 Casul or .050 Rugers and consider anything else wussy.:eek:
    Yeah, but the rest of us want to be able to afford to shoot more than one bullet a week :D
    another three weeks of wait.for the Feds to move the paperwork.Reason of the backlog they are upgrading the computor system.
    Even in the land of the NRA, the paperwork can get lost, eh? :D

Er yes,not surprising it is a Govt body ,to wit the State dept,not the NRA.
    And considering it is "only"five weeks that they need ,even with a down system.Compared to two years over here for a signature.That in my books is efficent.:D
    True 12 GA slug, err.1euro appx?: 454 casul,reload dies and equipment for it appx 5K???before you fire a shot?:D Ergo whats the cheaper otion?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Prob fall under restricted category

dunno how you'd convince a super to licence it though because its basically a saw-off and given the level of crimes with these involed he'd probably jump to the wrong conclusion. Which in fairness i could understand what are you going to use this thing for i mean you have a pistol and a shotung the only advantage i can see is the short barrel and portability which aint going to get you a licence

Have to get the definations right here.A sawn off shotgun is a criminally modified with hacksaw technology long gun.A shot pistol,or to be pendantic a smoothbore large calibre pistol is made like that from the plant.Plus for it to be a sawn off it would have to be a registerd weapon in Ireland that was modified to illegal lengths.

Yeah but what would ya do with it?You couldnt hunt and it'd be pointless shooting paper targets with a shotgun.

Slugs will do for the paper targets,or there is a skeet course set out paticurally for shot pistols.Well,first I guess we need a skeet range in Ireland?Is there one.? Hunt,up close and personal for rats and feral piegons in warehouses and barns.

Slugs will do for the paper targets,or there is a skeet course set out paticurally for shot pistols.Well,first I guess we need a skeet range in Ireland?Is there one.? Hunt,up close and personal for rats and feral piegons in warehouses and barns.

You've clearly lost your mind!!

I think CG means to use a .410 shotpistol with shot rather than slugs for the rats and pigeons Degsy :D Otherwise, forget there not being a rat left afterwards, you'd be missing large chunks of barn as well :D

Degsy wrote:
    You've clearly lost your mind!!

Guess it takes one to know one.;)

Guess it takes one to know one.;)

I know you are but what am i?;)

Don't make me stop this car and come back there!

Advertisement