Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proxy switching program?

• 27-10-2006 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of a (preferably free) windows program that sits on the systray
    and allows you to switch between a selection of proxy servers without having to
    go into each program and switching them manually.
    For example, I move my laptop from home to the office every day. At home I've
    no proxy server, in the office I do. I hate having to switch between proxies on
    gtalk, firefox and the like, surely there's something that can do it at the touch of a button ?

I tried googling it, but most programs were IE specific and those that weren't, cost money.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I dont think there is but you could always set a proxy up at home to match what you have in work I suppose. or else create on profile for work and for at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Meh, I don't want to have to go to the bother of setting up a proxy at home really. The profile idea isn't a bad one though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

there is a FireFox extension to switch proxies
    like many download programs it has its' own proxy settings that are different to windows system

most other programs take their settings from IE ( = control panel internet)

you can setup a proxy auto configuration file with rules for different words/addresses/IP's /protocols to go via different proxies.

you can use lmhosts to define an ip address of a PROXY and then change the lmhosts file and nbtstat -R to use the new definition (but only works if all proxies on same port)

don't forget you have to reg hack IE because it has a proxy caching default of 30 minutes - changes may/may not take effect by then

I;m not sure if netsh has an

netsh int ip reset reset.log - resets IP settings as a one liner

you are looking for a free version of http://www.netswitcher.com

it can all be done by reg settings so having reg files can do it - but messy to setup and if it goes wrong reinstalling windows won't fix some tcp/ip problems.

www.schooner.com/~loverso/no-ads/ - proxy script

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830605 - proxycfg.exe
    http://www.updatexp.com/0x8024402c.html - yet more things to try to get windows updtate to work
    note the list of other services to stop and the above mentioned 30 minute timeout in IE

Use the proxycfg tool to specify a proxy server to use (proxycfg.exe -p <proxy server>).

You can also change your IP easily if you move around too
    a less sophisticated method would be to create a batch file for each location, or for DHCP, click on it and it will make the necessary basic changes, as in the sample below. I don't believe you will find a method that deals with the wireless connections, however I would be interested to see one as well, it would be quite useful.

rem Reset network Settings for static IP
    netsh interface ip set address name = "Local Area Connection" source = static addr = 10.0.0.99 mask = 255.255.255.0
    netsh interface ip set address name = "Local Area Connection" gateway = 10.0.0.254 gwmetric = 1
    netsh interface ip set dns name = "Local Area Connection" source = static addr = 24.222.0.91
    netsh interface ip add dns name = "Local Area Connection" addr = 66.66.0.1
    netsh interface ip show config
    pause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Wow man, thanks for all the help. I'll definately give your tips a shot. Cheers again

Advertisement