Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard water deposits in system

Options
  • 27-10-2006 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

I have a water-softener in my new house, but of course I didn't realise the benefits until it dawned on me that I must have ran out of salt a couple of weeks ago. Now I have limescale in my kettle, limescale on my shower doors, and my eczema has exploded (I had mistakenly put that down exclusively to the arrival of the cold weather).

So I'll be emptying my stock of hard water from my system and emptying my new trailer load of salt into my softener, but my question is this: Can I dissolve away any deposits that have built up in my system in the few weeks by putting Calgon tablets (or some such) in my water tank??

Thanks,
    /M.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Manuel wrote:
    I have a water-softener in my new house, but of course I didn't realise the benefits until it dawned on me that I must have ran out of salt a couple of weeks ago. Now I have limescale in my kettle, limescale on my shower doors, and my eczema has exploded (I had mistakenly put that down exclusively to the arrival of the cold weather).

So I'll be emptying my stock of hard water from my system and emptying my new trailer load of salt into my softener, but my question is this: Can I dissolve away any deposits that have built up in my system in the few weeks by putting Calgon tablets (or some such) in my water tank??

Thanks,
    /M.
    hi
    if its only a couple of weeks there should not be to much of abuild up. and the soft water will disolve whats there. i had a similiar problem very hard water, 4 trition shower in 2 years my fifth shower was refusing to heat, i installed a softner system last march it cleared the lime in the shower in 2 months, i drain the complete system including rads once a month just to get rid of gunk the last time it was very light. i never heard of using calgon tabs for that i wouldnt chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Morkin

I'm in a similar situation but can't afford the space for an internal softener and can't get a supplier with a external softener and weather proof casing. Who do you use to install/supply the softener dfaf?

Also I use citirc acid to descale kettle and clean shower head but I'm sure my shower will die in about 6 months - we're only in the house 4 months.
    Could the citric acid be fed into the cold water storage, the tank drained by the shower and prevented from refilling with its stop cork then allowed to refill when drained? Would help flush the shower and any hot taps run etc.

Rgds,

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I recently got a water softener installed...made a huge change to the water.

How would I go about "draining the system" though?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

anybody care to post the systems theyu are using and exepriences as I have to put a system in now also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭samo

I just got a reverse osmosis unit/drinking tap and a sodium metered water softener installed by EWS technologies (based in Blanch I think and had come across the name after doing a search here) and total inclusive io installation was approx €1350 or thereabouts. There is a tannin filter installed in the softener as the water was very yellowy as well.

So far so good and have noticed a big difference in both the softened water (absolutely no limescale in kettle from approx 4-5 days after being installed) and the drinking water unit again cannot fault it. If you do the maintenence and serciving costs yourself the guarantee is for 15 years, if you get them to maintain it warranty is 25 years but havent really looked into this in detail yet as to what cost the filters etc are and how easy it is to do it yourself - they estimate running costs if they handle servicing etc as €250 per year which possibly sounds fairly steep?

Would be interested if anyone can advise how easy the systems are to maintain and how you would drain the system as well as mentioned above?

• Advertisement
Advertisement