Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL cable modem + Netopia 3347

Options
  • 27-10-2006 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi,

I just got the 6Mbps NTL package. I've tested the speed when wired directly into the cable modem and I get 5.8Mbps/500Kbps, which is very good. However, when I hook up the the cable modem to one of the ethernet ports on my old Netopia 3347 to give me wireless access, the download speed drops to about 1.2Mbps, while the upload speed stays the same.

Does anyone know why this happens? If I buy a different wireless router will I have the same problem? It would kind of defeat the point of having a 6Mbps connection.

Cheers,

Phil

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I am on a wireless network using ntl, I am on their 3meg package. I get aroung 360KBps using my wireless router (downloading for microsoft.com of from heanet.ie) which is almost identical to what I get using the wired connection. I am using a Linksys wireless router.

I didn't have much luck using the netgear one which they supplied to me. I found that the speeds were really unreliable using that router

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

philth wrote:
    Hi,

I just got the 6Mbps NTL package. I've tested the speed when wired directly into the cable modem and I get 5.8Mbps/500Kbps, which is very good. However, when I hook up the the cable modem to one of the ethernet ports on my old Netopia 3347 to give me wireless access, the download speed drops to about 1.2Mbps, while the upload speed stays the same.

Does anyone know why this happens? If I buy a different wireless router will I have the same problem? It would kind of defeat the point of having a 6Mbps connection.

Cheers,

Phil

the netopia is an adsl gateway which means it is not designed specifically for use with a cable modem so that may the reasonon for the poor performance you are getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

dub45 wrote:
    the netopia is an adsl gateway which means it is not designed specifically for use with a cable modem so that may the reasonon for the poor performance you are getting.
    He's using it as a switch - if he was only getting 1.2Mb transfers between two PC, one wired and one wireless 9which is basically what he's doing), it'd be a sorry state of affairs, but it would have nothing to do with the fact that there's an ADSL router in the same box that he is totally ignoring.

What's the download speed like when you plug your laptop into one of the ethernet ports. If it's still 1.2MB, then your netopia is crocked. If it's nearly as fast as connecting directly to the NT box, then your wireless is crocked - maybe interference, maybe crappy drivers. That's the big problem with wireless - when it doesn't work the way you expect, it's not really easy to sort out.

Advertisement