Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So, I failed my test today

• 27-10-2006 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

Got 2 grade 3 faults :eek: :eek: on leaving sufficient space when overtaking stationary vehicles. Everything else was perfect, turn around, speed, reverse around the corner, questions on rules of the road, hand signals etc etc. Wasn't as if I clipped anyone's wing mirrors or something - didn't even think I had passed too close myself. Back to the driving instructor for me and I've applied for a cancellation. Anyone else here fail for a similar reason?

Ewan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Firstly hard luck.

Thing about stationery cars is someone could open the door and get out and if your to close

BANG

At least you know what to work on the next time try not to be too disheartened.

Bazzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Yeah first time.

Supposed to leave enough room for the door to open. Although no where in the rules of the road do you find that advice.

It's like that whole progression thing. There is a hidden set of rules that no one tells you about.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

My driving instructor told me that with towns and cities becoming so crowded and lots of cars now parked by the side of the road, reality hasn't caught up with the rules of the road as such and so it's not explicitly mentioned but examiners are becoming more and more annoyed at "learners" not giving them enough space and/or driving past them too fast and not allowing sufficient reaction time for someone getting out.

So hard luck and it's a lesson for all test candidates to watch out for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Chin up me old mucker. Took me 3 turns to pass.

First time i was a cocky little **** who thought i was a great driver and that all i had to do was turn up and take the test. So i did this and needless to say i went down in flames. Your man ran out of space there was so many ticks, scribbles and fu*k ups to note down. I think i set a record for failing so badly.

Second time a more humble and wise Fozzie bear took the test and flew through it until the end.... Came up to the last round about before i turned into the test centre and i clipped the round about with my back wheel and lifted the tester out of the seat beside me i hit it such a rattle. Failed!

Third time i was depressed with the whoe shagging thing. Got a heap of lessons, prayed to Allah, God, Jebus, said novena's, offered up sacrifices and crossed my fingers, toes, legs, eyes and any other body part i could cross and passed! Wayheh..

Could be worse, took a mate of mine here in work six attempts before he passed, i think it was pity or just that they were sick of seeing him in the end that helped him pass.

Bottom line don't let it get you down, you will be wiser the next time around and you will pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Got 2 grade 3 faults :eek: :eek: on leaving sufficient space when overtaking stationary vehicles. Everything else was perfect, turn around, speed, reverse around the corner, questions on rules of the road, hand signals etc etc. Wasn't as if I clipped anyone's wing mirrors or something - didn't even think I had passed too close myself. Back to the driving instructor for me and I've applied for a cancellation. Anyone else here fail for a similar reason?
    Ewan

Hard luck Renegade_Archer you'll get it next time i'm sure.
    I failed first time too and passed the second, I think to a certain extent for stuff like what you got 2 grade threes other testers might have only given grade two's, the pass rates vary hugely accross the country so don't beat yourself up about this.

For the record its supposed to be an open door width where possible - i.e. in case a passenger in the car you are passing suddenly opens a door out onto the road - something a kid might easily do (or a yummie mummy on a school run).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Chin up me old mucker. Took me 3 turns to pass.

First time i was a cocky little **** who thought i was a great driver and that all i had to do was turn up and take the test. So i did this and needless to say i went down in flames. Your man ran out of space there was so many ticks, scribbles and fu*k ups to note down. I think i set a record for failing so badly.

Second time a more humble and wise Fozzie bear took the test and flew through it until the end.... Came up to the last round about before i turned into the test centre and i clipped the round about with my back wheel and lifted the tester out of the seat beside me i hit it such a rattle. Failed!

Third time i was depressed with the whoe shagging thing. Got a heap of lessons, prayed to Allah, God, Jebus, said novena's, offered up sacrifices and crossed my fingers, toes, legs, eyes and any other body part i could cross and passed! Wayheh..

Could be worse, took a mate of mine here in work six attempts before he passed, i think it was pity or just that they were sick of seeing him in the end that helped him pass.

Bottom line don't let it get you down, you will be wiser the next time around and you will pass.

Same here. First time I was way too young and cocky, second time a fairly clear sheet except for one stupid grade 3 mistake I made on the way back.... third times a charm :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I wouldn't let it get you down. Once you can learn from your mistakes, you'll always be fine in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

hard luck man, failed first time too. hadn't had any driving lessons. had one before my second test and instructor said that if i drove like that at the test i' d have no problem and i didn't. tester thought i was a little aggressive, i told him that i did my driving in dublin and his reply was 'that explains it then'. i passed my advanced driving course first time round, hardest thing i've ever done!!! but it really showed me how little i knew about driving, obversation and stuff like that.

best of luck for the next one and fingers crossed for a quick test.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭wavin

Back to the driving instructor for me and I've applied for a cancellation.
    Ewan
    how did you do this?
    i failed and reapplied for my test during the summer
    was waiting 9 or 10 months last time so wouldnt mind hurrying it up a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mari9464

I'm the same. I failed on one grade 3 fault. A lorry backed out suddenly near a bend, I had to brake a little harder than usual and that was that. i had all the other stuff perfect too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

wavin wrote:
    how did you do this?
    i failed and reapplied for my test during the summer
    was waiting 9 or 10 months last time so wouldnt mind hurrying it up a bit

Sent in a fax asking for a short-notice "cancellation" test, with a supporting letter from my employer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

I wouldn't take it too seriously. They tend to fail safer drivers more often than unsafe ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I wouldn't take it too seriously. They tend to fail safer drivers more often than unsafe ones.
    How do you figure that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Because I made it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

All this talk of failing isint making me feel good considering im doing my test on monday, luckly i have a week off to get a sh1t load of practice, and a few lessons in, but the feckin roundabouts in portlaoise are crazy, ahh well

Anyway , pitty to hear ya failed

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

ah yeah the old "clearance when overtaking" one... my personal favourite - failed my test in Longford for the same reason.

Anyone who knows the town will know the famous chipper on main street... well every passer-by from dublin to the west feels they have the god given right to abandon their cars / lorries and run in for a snack box...

Result - double parking on both sides of the road, and you either sit there the whole day and fail for lack of progress, or go for it and fail for clearance while overtaking.

Fines / clamping / confiscation of vehicles wouldn't be good enough for those who double park. :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ive failed me test twice now so have givin up drivin. :( The waiting times are just depressing, the whole system is off putting.

Im sticking to motorbikes, at least thats somethin im good at!

Advertisement