Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it really?

Options
  • 27-10-2006 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭

I wonder can anyone help me. When researching my book A Big Long List of Words With Their Meaning Written Underneath Them, I've discovered that it used to be customary in ancient Aztec societies to address a person's crotchal region when introducing yourself to strangers. This is where the phrase "ask me bollox" comes from, and it is therefore a term of endearment.

Similarly, the popular and much-beloved phrase "dickhead" in fact comes from the early 1980s, when doctors carried out a pioneering experiment to attach a man's dismembered penis to his forehead, to keep it alive while preparing his genital region for surgery. When you use the word "dickhead," you're complementing the individual for being at the cutting-edge of his field.

Finally, during the Vietnam war, the locals identified U.S. soldiers by their unusual ruck-sacks but could not pronounce "G.I.", changing it to "gee." It would therefore be entirely correct to describe President Bush, the commander-in-chief, as the top gee-bag.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find origins for the words fanny flaps, fcukface, or skanky mankbag and was wondering if anyone has any ideas for these or other captivating words.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved to Linguistics & Etymology from AH. No need to thank me; it's my pleasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Lurk

Many thanks Karoma; I'm sure the etymologists will be only too happy :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Do you want our help or not? If you'd prefer, I can move this back to AH where you won't actually get any useful answers. Your "rolling eyes" smiley indicates that you're not happy with your thread here, in its correct forum.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Lurk wrote:
    I wonder can anyone help me. When researching my book A Big Long List of Words With Their Meaning Written Underneath Them, I've discovered that it used to be customary in ancient Aztec societies to address a person's crotchal region when introducing yourself to strangers. This is where the phrase "ask me bollox" comes from, and it is therefore a term of endearment.

Similarly, the popular and much-beloved phrase "dickhead" in fact comes from the early 1980s, when doctors carried out a pioneering experiment to attach a man's dismembered penis to his forehead, to keep it alive while preparing his genital region for surgery. When you use the word "dickhead," you're complementing the individual for being at the cutting-edge of his field.

Finally, during the Vietnam war, the locals identified U.S. soldiers by their unusual ruck-sacks but could not pronounce "G.I.", changing it to "gee." It would therefore be entirely correct to describe President Bush, the commander-in-chief, as the top gee-bag.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find origins for the words fanny flaps, fcukface, or skanky mankbag and was wondering if anyone has any ideas for these or other captivating words.
    That's Bollocks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Lurk

I'd love your help Faith but this:
    That's Bollocks!

is why I thought you fine linguistikers might be disinclined to give it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I was suggesting you read the book. I wasn't trying to say that your post was bollocks, that was supposed to be a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Interestingly the word bollocks/bollox/bollix does not refer to testicles...it is an eighteenth century nickname for priests.

Professor James Kinsley o Nottingham University explained this in court when Virgin records were charged with indecency for displaying adverts for The Sex Pistols album 'Never mind the Bollocks...here's the Sex Pistols'.

The case was dismissed on his evidence. My source for this is Richard Bransons autobiography 'Losing my Virginity' but I'm sure there are better records out there.

Edit: Because my source isn't actually an academic work, I'm happy to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

r3nu4l wrote:
    The case was dismissed on his evidence. My source for this is Richard Bransons autobiography 'Losing my Virginity' but I'm sure there are better records out there.

Edit: Because my source isn't actually an academic work, I'm happy to be corrected.
    From the trial's transcript

He said it was used in records from the year 1000 and in Anglo Saxon times it meant a small ball. The terms was also used to describe an orchid. He said it appears in Medievel bibles and veterinary books. In the bible it was used to describe small things of an appropriate shape. He said that the word also appears in place names without stirring any sensual desires in the local communities. "The word has been used as a nickname for clergymen. Clergymen are known to talk a good deal of rubbish and so the word later developed the meaning of nonsense,'' he said. ''They became known for talking a great deal of bollocks, just as old balls or baloney also come to mean testicles, so it has twin uses in the dictionary".

Advertisement