Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Tax releif at Source

Options
  • 27-10-2006 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Before making a fool of myself with the Revenue, was wondering if anybody can help me with this.

Someone told me that the mortgage TRS is paid directly in to my mortgage account but was just looking at my most recent mortgage statement and noticed that apart from the montly repayments there is nothing else going in.

Should I be getting a montly credit from the gov against my mortgage and if so can I claim it back for previous years - mortgage is about 10 years old.

Would they credit it directly to my account or could I expect a little cheque from the revenue.

tia

o29

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

You need to claim first, you get a form from revenue,send it in and a wad of money appears in your account, it's rather nice, you should be due a packet, not sure if it will be 10 years worth though.Check out revenue's website, you may get the form there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mckers

you can submit a Form TRS1 to claim your tax relief, think this is submitted directly to Revenue. If you have not claimed this in previous years, you should ask Revenue to reassess the previous 4 years, i.e 2005, 2004, 2003 and 2002 (maybe 2001). If you haven't claimed mortgage interest relief before, unfortunately this is only as far back as you can go. The amount of relief you can get depends on if you are married/single and first time buyer or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Obelisk29 wrote:
    Before making a fool of myself with the Revenue, was wondering if anybody can help me with this.

Someone told me that the mortgage TRS is paid directly in to my mortgage account but was just looking at my most recent mortgage statement and noticed that apart from the montly repayments there is nothing else going in.

Should I be getting a montly credit from the gov against my mortgage and if so can I claim it back for previous years - mortgage is about 10 years old.

Would they credit it directly to my account or could I expect a little cheque from the revenue.

tia

o29

More than likely it won't be on your mortgage statement. It will be refunded to the account where you pay your mortgage from. So if you pay your mortgage by direct debit every month you should get a credit back to your current account every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 rexel21

Just picking this thread up but at what point do you apply for the morgage tax releif. will be drawing down on morgage in a few weeks and apart from reading it myself no one has informed me about...

Thanks

Advertisement