Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

city centre development

• 27-10-2006 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

it says in this weeks news & star a new submission from krm construction on the new city centre development is imminent,you reckon we"lget the go ahead this time?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Probably not, if Mr McCann has his way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Aquos76 wrote:
    Probably not, if Mr McCann has his way.

I think they were consulting with that twat McCann so hopefully they have met his "approval" this time.

Jeez that idiot really pisses me off!!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 cwat69

know how you feel!when you consider collectively all his objections we could have a brilliant city only for him and his few followers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Every time I read the local papers, most of the letters are in support of McCann. Every time I come on here people are complaining about him. Would ye not send the odd letter?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

To be honest, from what I can see and hear there are as many people who dislike him as support him.

Here are some examples of those who arent in support of him:

http://www.waterford-news.com/news/story.asp?j=23416

http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/story.asp?j=23321

McCann goes on on his little tirade against developers and anyone who suggests developing the city and has publicly stated in newspapers that he intends to continue.

The fact of the matter remains, if people didnt see the growth potential of Waterford city and as a suitable investment for their money, then put up with his crap, a large part of the city would be derelict, a lot of people would be unemployed and there would be very little growth in the local economy.

- Lidl, Aldi & Tesco wouldnt be here.

- Railway Square would be an empty pot hole ridden carpark and eye sore.

- Poleberry would be a large piece of waste ground.

- The Ard Ri hotel would also be a major eyesore sitting on the hill overlooking the city.

- The north quays would still be full of empty derelict buildings and lying unused.

- The brewery was an eyesore when entering the city over the bridge. Now its a modern building and something to be admired.

- How many housing developments has he objected to? If he had his way, Waterford would have a severe shortage of housing, prices would be way more than they are now.

- He objects to housing estates, then he objects to apartments. Where the hell are people supposed to live? Does he want everyone who moves out of home to leave the city? Or maybe wait in line for someone to die and their house to come on the market??????

- He objects to road upgrades and new roads. So he's quite happy to have people sitting for hours in traffic going no where. Very productive.

- He even objected to a creche!!!!!!!!

I'd love to see what these people would have to say about his little glorified ego massages if that had happened to the city and their kids were not able to get a job here because of mass unemployment, not able to afford a house because of a lack of them due to no development and in the end having to move away to make a life somewhere else.

People are quick to jump on the bandwagon without thinking about what the future holds and the results of his actions.

I do believe in quality developments and people's right to object if they genuinely are affected by a development. If something is going to affect the quality of peoples lives or devalue their property which they have worked hard to pay for, then by all means object and protect their homes etc.

But someone who lives no where near a development and who is claiming to represent a community when no one asks him to like McCann is, is doing what he does to massage his own ego.

You're telling us to write in and make our view known, well if people honestly wanted him to represent them wouldnt they have done so by voting for him in elections. But they dont. In fact he's never been elected to anything. I think that speaks for itself. The portion of the community he claims to represent doesnt seem to be willing to match his claims by speaking with their votes.

Tox

• Advertisement

its a good one abouy d creche alright,does that man have a life at all?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

I was just looking at the News & Star.KRM has published what they are intending to apply for.The whole developemt is almost 900000 square feet in size.This would make it as large as the Dundrum Town centre.The retail section is over 200000 Square feet.

I could not see Brendan McCann and WASICD going for this.However the flip side is KRM seems determined to get it through.

mad man wrote:
    I was just looking at the News & Star.KRM has published what they are intending to apply for.The whole developemt is almost 900000 square feet in size.This would make it as large as the Dundrum Town centre.The retail section is over 200000 Square feet.

I could not see Brendan McCann and WASICD going for this.However the flip side is KRM seems determined to get it through.

To be honest, I doubt that anyone including McCann will be able to stop this happening. They have purchased almost all the property required and with the investment they have already made they will have to make a serious mess of things not to get the planning permission they are looking for.

Tox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭JMcL

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    - The Ard Ri hotel would also be a major eyesore sitting on the hill overlooking the city.

As opposed to? That hotel is about the most inappropriately sited ugly POS in the country. You don't mean to say it used to be even worse (relative Waterford newbie here!)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

JMcL wrote:
    As opposed to? That hotel is about the most inappropriately sited ugly POS in the country. You don't mean to say it used to be even worse (relative Waterford newbie here!)?

There used to be a lovely little castle on that hill just to the left of where the hotel was built.
    And yes the hotel was worse believe it or not, not much worse but definitely worse.

• Advertisement

JMcL wrote:

Yup a hell of a lot worse.

I'm curious to see what the hotel will look like after its face lift. They are spending €20million on its new kit out etc, so I hope they do something to improve on it.

Tox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Bards

As far as I know it is still for sale.... McNiff got planning approval but decided to sell instead of carrying out this work

all the sites in waterford that could be into beautiful buildings and extend our city centre,nothings happening with the north quays no??????????

The north quays have been sold but a development the size of the one planned will take years. Think they are still putting a proposal together for planning permission, but I could be wrong there.

Tox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭jmcc

Roen wrote:
    There used to be a lovely little castle on that hill just to the left of where the hotel was built.
    Yes but very few people here would probably remember that castle. :)
    And yes the hotel was worse believe it or not, not much worse but definitely worse.
    What a marvel of 1930s architecture right in the middle of 1970s Waterford? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

jmcc wrote:
    Yes but very few people here would probably remember that castle. :)

What a marvel of 1930s architecture right in the middle of 1970s Waterford? :)

Regards...jmcc

I have to confess I don't remember it myself but I have seen the photographs.
    It's a fantastic setting for any building, sitting on its own at the highest point in the city. It's a pity they made balls of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    I think they were consulting with that twat McCann so hopefully they have met his "approval" this time.

Jeez that idiot really pisses me off!!!! :mad:

I know what you mean. The thought of developers having to consult with a man who has absolutely no qualifications or experience in planning, engineering, architecture or surveying drives me insane, I mean has he ever even been on a building site!!!!!
    To make it worse he is being quoted in certain places as some kind of planning – construction expert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Bards

I know what you mean. The thought of developers having to consult with a man who has absolutely no qualifications or experience in planning, engineering, architecture or surveying drives me insane, I mean has he ever even been on a building site!!!!!
    To make it worse he is being quoted in certain places as some kind of planning – construction expert.

I can see it now... new series of "About the House" on RTE Television with Brendan McCann in place of Duncan Stewart...

he dosent seem to mind about his own wit buildings getting bigger all the time

Advertisement