Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opeth article in The Ticket

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

decent enough read, nothing spectacular. having said that, got the cd/dvd combo (i'm a whore, i know) and i'm quite impressed by the 40-min documentary and the 5.1 mix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It's a decent enough article, although I would agree about it being condescending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Not bad, interesting summation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Well at least there are plenty of quotes from Mikael in it. The first sentence in the article is pretty off putting and annoying to read.

They're all wearing black and have long hair, god they must be weird and uneducated. I think that's how the majority of people think these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

JoeyD wrote:
    I think that's how the majority of people think these days.

You say that as if the attitude has changed in the last 30 years or so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

But the thing is, that isn't how most people think. That's how journalists used to writing articles about Bon Jovi or Sugarbabes think.

I didn't like the "metal has to be Opeth to be good" attitude, but I did like the article as an interview. Without the commentary on how Opeth are teh only metal band being different and therefore worthwhile it would ahve been cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

JoeyD wrote:
    They're all wearing black and have long fringes, god they must be weird and uneducated. I think that's how the majority of people think these days.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

It's a decent enough article, although I would agree about it being condescending.

Yes, you tend to see the same trash written from time to time now and then, the line about metal fans growing up and forgetting their roots is something i wouldnt just agree with. Of any genre, I think Metal is followed the most passionately, and this includes from fans of all ages as they grow. Some become less involved, yes, but I certainly dont think they forget and stop listening to the genre completely.
    For instance, I love Metallica. They are one of the best bands on the planet, in my opinion, but I wouldn't be interested in listening to any band that sounded like them

Not a fan of Trivium is he then, eh?

Please, Trivium? Sound like Metallica?! Hah! They wish!

...No, really, they do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

//off-topic

Just got around to listening to Ghost Reveries today. Amazing. Truly masterful, the best thing they've ever done for sure. I strongly disliked them prior to hearing this.

By far my least favourite of their albums, one I really don't listen to much, but the stuff translates well live.

I agree with It wasn't me, for me Ghost Reveries seemed like Opeth were just going through the motions, I've only listened to it once or twice but live the songs sound much better but that just means the CD sounds worse after you see them!

Yeah, listened to it once or twice after the June gig, wasn't mental on it, listended to it again after seeing them at Wacken, seemed even less strong, and I listened to it again there the other day in preparation for the gig and just ended up hoping they play lots of Stuff from My Arms, Your Hearse, Blackwater Park and Still Life at the show. Really hope we don't get a more or less identical setlist to the one I've already seen twice this year.

I'm still undecided about going to this upcoming gig. I've seen them three times over the years and the last time, although the band were enjoyable, I was seriously put off by the crowd.

Heh, this'll be my third time seeing them, and in one year. :p I'm looking forward to it. Hoping to complete my set of signatures on Blackwater Park this time too, so methinks last few classes of school shall have to take a back seat to almighty prog-death metal. ;) I'm a little worried about the fact that the gig is all ages though. The crowd were quite twattish last time, and several hecklers had to be silenced, so here's hoping they're better this time. Was a little soulless seeing them in Wacken, so this'll be considerably more intimate at least.

//off-topic

Just got around to listening to Ghost Reveries today. Amazing. Truly masterful, the best thing they've ever done for sure. I strongly disliked them prior to hearing this.

Scratch that, just heard the only other Opeth album I haven't heard, Still Life, which subsequently eats it for breakfast. I can see this becoming a constant rotation on my MP3 player. It's been a while since I was grabbed by the balls and forced to listen to aural perfection like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

I think the first 3 songs of Ghost Reveries are some of the best they've ever written, but the rest of the album is a bit medicore alright.

As for Still Life, yes it's my favourite album of theirs but the dodgy production errors with the sound knocking off in places on some of the channels is SOOOOOOO annoying, especially on The Moor. The final few tracks have such a huge effect on me every time I listen to them though, they're just written to perfection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

John wrote:
    I'm still undecided about going to this upcoming gig. I've seen them three times over the years and the last time, although the band were enjoyable, I was seriously put off by the crowd.

holy christ. i thought that gig was last week. was so disappointed because i was working all week. off to sound cellar with me asap :)

(also, i 100% concur with you, the crowd stank... anyone who yells/screams when songs dip into a quiet section should be shot for sheer disrespect)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

It was a good article, I don't think it was condescending at all. You'd have to buy a hundred metal albums to have a chance of getting one that was truly different or original.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Okay article, but I wouldn't want my daughter to leave Akerfeldt at the front gate at all.

I've to leave carlow at four o'clock to see gig, and leave dublin next morning to be in carlow for 8.50... but so worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Good article alright, infinitly better than the travesty of a review for the last Children Of Bodom album they had. I've never been so angry at one in my entire life and I usually don't give a toss what critics say about music I love. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

In the upcoming events section this week, they call Slayer
    More noisy metal for the kids

Metal really does seem to be unfairly patronised in mainstream music journalism.

In fairness, the last Bodom album kind of sucked. It had about three decent tracks, nothing even touching one single track off FTR, Hatebreeder or Something Wild. HCDR while not on a par with the previous three still wipes the floor with Are You Dead Yet. He may have been right to slam it, they can do far better.

Advertisement