Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY: A doss or worthwhile?

• 27-10-2006 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Personaly i think TY suits some students and not others. When you break it down, its basicaly a year for ''Maturing'' in a ''Less formal academic enviroment'' According to my own schools website! I think the goverment should make a flat out decision on wheather it be compulsarary or not, rather then leaving it up to the principal. Some people are highly focused and would much rather get their leaving cert course over with rather then do ''first aid courses'' and japanese or some need the time to develop their motivation......

Is this just a year for partying every weekend or is there some fundamental purpose behind the holiday camp?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

it was compulsory in my school when I did it last year... and I personally would have liked to skip to 5th year at the time. But I can see how it can be productive for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭rip2roar

I was on Grainne Seoige talking about this yesterday. I said that you get what you put in, in terms of transition year,Those who put the work in get more out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I seen some of that yesterday! Agree with what you say - you reap what you sow. Which one were you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

in my school it is all very academic
    I'm really wishing I had just skipped it now,so I suppose it's down to the individual school's TY program as to whether it is worthwhile or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

rip2roar wrote:
    I was on Grainne Seoige talking about this yesterday. I said that you get what you put in, in terms of transition year,Those who put the work in get more out

I dont understand how going to new york shopping for a week counted as ''work'' in my school! lol :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I did TY many moons ago. I consider it to have been a worthwhile doss.

rip2roar wrote:

its not as easy as that though... if its compulsory in your school then they wont put in the effort to make it as fun as in other schools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I was going to have to do Ty whether I wanted to or not, due to teh fact that if not I'd be 14 starting 5th year! So far we are doing a good bit of academic stuff, like we have a native french assistant in this year, so we're getting our french oral stuff done for teh Leaving..and we're doing basic LC Maths...but on Fridays there isn't really any point. Double IT(ECDL-Doss), Careers(doss), Irish(mainly Bridge or TY stuff, the etacher is Ty Coordinator), Home Ec, Bridge(yes, honestly)...after lunch Double YSI and then home. Biggest doss day ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Some of it is a doss, some of it is very worthwhile. If classes are just getting boring and pointless for me, I skip them and go do something which is a good use of my time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

i've said it before i'll say it again, its what you put into it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭rip2roar

Monzo wrote:
    I seen some of that yesterday! Agree with what you say - you reap what you sow. Which one were you?

The only lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Was it you was on that No Experience Required thingy as well? If so, well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Riada

I've just done TY and i was dreading it last year.. I was in a small school with about 400 students, so i thought it'd be crap.. It was actually really good even though we didnt do as much as other schools. We went to Carlingford for 3 days, and it was some of the best craic i've ever had, and there was another trip to leenan, but i didnt get to go on that one :( We had a Fashion Show at the end of the year aswell and raised loads of money to fund our new school building.. It was brilliant, and it really matured me. In third year, i never really got involved with much and wasnt expecting it to be any different in fourth year, but then just went for it in TY. I think TY is well worth it, but only if you're willing to get involved. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it. If your up for a laugh, i'd say go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

well.. so far this year, we've done

trip to delphi
    trip to brussles
    made a short movie for the craic
    had a buffet for all TY and TY teachers & principal,etc (food cooked by TY students)

so.. its great so far, i reccomend it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

well im in 5th year now jumped straight from 3rd year

theres times i wish i did TY because 5th year can be preety tough and i see a lot of old friends having great fun
    but when it comes down to it they arent learning much and ill be finished while their doing their leaving cert

as for becoming mature id say ty does the opposite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Put it this way, it's a worthwhile doss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

#Elites wrote:
    im getting bored of TY..already.

we have no "planed" trips.. spain at easter but thats with 1st and 2nd years, and it was ment for the spanish classes (3 people in TY do spanish) but all of TY where alowed come cus nothin was pllaned for us..:(

plan stuff yourself and ask the principal for permission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

I did Transition year mainly because all my friends were doing it and I'd only turned 15 shortly beforehand so I was fairly young to be going headlong into the Leaving Cert course. Yes its true that its a doss but that doesn't necessarily mean its not worthwhile. You get to do a lot of fun stuff in the course of the year, even though it does run out of steam long before June.
    Just put in some bit of effort and you'll enjoy it. I got Student of the Year for my efforts!
    So in retrospect yes it definitely was a good decision for me. If I hadn't done TY I'd be in college right now and I honestly don't think I would have done half as well in the LC. Sure its pointless, but last time I checked the Junior cert didn't count for anything either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

junior cert doesnt count for anything is right..........my parents still made me do like 5 hours a day study last week!bastards!

ty -im being forced to do it by my parents,but i dont wanna do it

TY is a nice break from the JC. Qwertplaywert if your parents are bad now they'd probably be just as bad in 5th year cos you do need to do a lot of work then too, so TY will be a nice break :)

• Advertisement

some people *including myself* don't find Transition Year stimulating enough. Although it is good for teaching yourself other things (I taught myself a bit more programming etc), but still, you might find that you are actually bored going into school for yet another worthless day. I would have skipped to 5th year if it wasn't compulsory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Colin Mac

It took a lot of strain off me for maths for the leaving cert, instead of cramming it into 2 years, it was levelled out over 3, that's about the only advantage to TY I can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

ive heard it helps maths and pshyics.....................i shall see till the ty co-ordinators start going round to us about it.................

yes TY helped me figure out how rediculously hard LC Maths was... I suppose that is an advantage apart from that it really didn't benefit me academically.

Yeah LC maths is a bitch, and seeing as I was moved up a class my pride wont let me drop back down :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

They had the honours class in my school in TY doing ordinary LC maths which seems a little... well, pointless. Didn't matter much in the end as we spent the year playing sudoku.
    Still. I think it's awfully unfair the way some schools start the LC course in TY. I mean, it seems to make sense, and my school did it a bit, but it's not fair on schools that don't offer TY. It makes it understandable why people say "oh yes people who do TY get an average of 15 more points in the LC" ... maybe because they spent an extra year preparing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

I'm doing ty and it's the biggest waste of time EVER. I've had a grand total of 2 classes since Monday (one of which was French- easiest class EVER). The only reason I did it was because I got to go to France for the first four months ^_^. Kind of wishing I stayed over there now...

I suppose it's good for some people to figure out what they want to do, it's an extra year to decide subjects and whatever.

They had the honours class in my school in TY doing ordinary LC maths which seems a little... well, pointless. Didn't matter much in the end as we spent the year playing sudoku.
    Still. I think it's awfully unfair the way some schools start the LC course in TY. I mean, it seems to make sense, and my school did it a bit, but it's not fair on schools that don't offer TY. It makes it understandable why people say "oh yes people who do TY get an average of 15 more points in the LC" ... maybe because they spent an extra year preparing for it.

all the honours classes in my year did LC Ordinary too, I think its a good idea as LC O-Level is a slightly more advanced step than JC Higher and I suppose it acts as a transition between JC Higher and LC Higher if you try some O - Level inbetween. I think that was the logic behind it anyway.

its not really pointless as if people see how hard LC Ordinary is it will discourage them from picking something they will end up dropping down from anyway. I've been doing LC Ordinary since September because of this insight i guess you could call it that I got in TY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

There's 3 Higher Level Maths classes in my year and we've all been doing HL LC Maths from day 1 :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement