Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekend Prem Fixtures

2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Usual story for Arsenal today, completely dominated the game but didn't finish off their chances. Everton were pathetic, according to Sky they had 2 shots on goal all game but I can't remember the 2nd one. Fouled constantly and time-wasted from the kick-off, how Mike Riley didn't book Howard I don't know. Henry and Fabregas were off-colour which is where the game wasn't won really (though the awful defending by Lehmann/Toure for the Everton goal also played a large part!). Theo looks great though, and good to see Aliadiere getting on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Well it's about bloody time Bolton were given a footballing lesson. I've been waiting so long for something like that and am just sorry it wasn't Arsenal or god forbid Newcastle who were dishing it out. I suppose it will silence all the Rooney doubters too - anyone care to drag up that Rooney overrated thread now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Still havent seen the game but it certainly appears to be a great performance. But Im not getting carried away. Arsenal put in a great performance last week and were brought down to earth this week. One performance does not suddenly obliterate the problems identified with a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sherringham scores for Hammers.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Sunday, 29 October 2006
    West Ham v Blackburn, 16:00---HOME

As much as it pains me to say it, but i think West Ham are gonna stop the rot against my team, though i hope im wrong :)

you heard it here first ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Hammers win 2-1 without Mascherano or Tevez playing.

Can't believe that some United fans were screaming for the purchase of Mascherano. He looks far form the finished product to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rickylovesuall, next time I'll place a bet!

Mike.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

West Ham back to winning ways just before the visit of Arsenal. Ba$tards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Naw thats just perfect Pepe. The calm before the storm :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Can't believe that some United fans were screaming for the purchase of Mascherano. He looks far form the finished product to me.

Anyone be surprised at a 20 milion bid for both both CL free.....?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

did they not play in the uefa cup, making them cup tied? also who would pay anywhere near that based on their current form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

mascherano and tevez obviously came with alot of baggage, which is probably the reason why all the big clubs, united included, turned them down. i remember, gill stated that he only wanted players who "wanted to play for he club", this may have been directed at these 2. it looks like they were forced to join west ham by the company that "owns them", to put them on the shop window. this may have back fired on them now, as their value will have gone down. any team, should now be able to get them at a knock down price. another example of south americans now been able to cut it in england, though time is still on their side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Any player, who is under no competition for his place, will not preform to the best of his ability. These guys have no contest, and are acting like it.

That said, this is really back-firing on MSI, and I hope they lose a load of money, because if they succedd, it could lead to massive problems in the future. Hopefully FIFA will bring in a law stating that only a club or the respective player can own their contract.

p.s. at 20 million for both of them, I think I'd still take them to United. One of them is bound to come good, and the other could be sold at a minimum of 5 million, possibly and probably more.

Thing is, they just havn't adjusted yet, and I don't expect them to for another while. Very few players can come in to the premiership and be an instant success. Hell even Shev and Ballack couldn't do it [although their class is beginning to show now, 1/4 of the way in] These guys are still kids, and will take longer to adjust. Evra/Vidic have taken half a year, but now they are appearing very good buys.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Best display from United in a long long time, hope it continues but Chelsea still seem to running in 2nd gear and getting their wins. Arsenal slipped up again. But a great start to the season, makes it a bit more interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Suppose I'd better post a comment on tonight's City game seeing as we won, though I can't see there being much interest on here.

Great first half performance, could have been two or three up by the break. Dunne was sensational, not just for the goal, but in making some crucial tackles. Dickov was a constant pain for Woodgate and Huth and never stopped running. Was very impressed with Samaras. Won pretty much every header and his control was top class. Showed great feet for a couple of runs too.

Ben Thatcher made his comeback, and it was relatively quiet. Couple of no nonsense tackles in what was a typical Thatcher display - average at best.

As usual we made things difficult for ourselves late on when Maccarone hit the same post twice in 5 minutes but overall we have to be happy with the win and the character the boys showed after the whole Wigan fiasco. Still the only team in the Premiership not to have conceded at home so just need to sort out the away form. Bring on Charlton!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Liverpool 3-1 Aston Villa
    Liverpool got into gear and Villa had an off day for them this season. Liverpool took full advantage, played brightly and the chances created ended up in good goals. Good to see Kuyt getting on the scoresheet again. It was over by half time.

But the worrying aspect was again a goal leaked in the 2nd half. But overall, beating Villa who were the only remaining unbeaten side in the top-flight is satisfying and much welcomed.

Bolton 0-4 Man Utd
    Man Utd had a good day at Bolton. It was a typical display by Bolton, but Man Utd went at them like a hound from the off looking for a goal, and it came and early. It was an over-the-top ball, and there should be questions asked from the central defenders, still it was well finished by Rooney, and Man Utd had created chances before that. Rooney's 2nd came out of little and hit the bottom of the net. After that Bolton came into it, coming close a couple of times but gave up easy goals at the end of the match to give Man Utd a flattering scoreline to some extent.

Sheff Utd 0-2 Chelsea
    The Chelsea steamroller continues, and was there going to be any other result from this match. Sheff Utd tried but they werent ever gonna beat them. Another regular day for Chelsea.

Arsenal 1-1 Everton
    Well, Arsenal tried to play through them, and failed, and even tried some crosses. Everton stole a goal early on in a typical dead ball situation, ad went into their shell even more. Very frustrating for an Arsenal fan. It took a bit of free-kick brilliance from Van Persie to blast Arsenal back into the tie. But matches like these are one reason why Arsenal shouldn't be capable of winning the league this year.

My prediction for the finish is now:

1 Chelsea
    2 Man Utd
    3 Arsenal
    4 Liverpool

5/6/7 Bolton/Everton?

Spurs failed to break the top-4 last season, Everton failed the year before not due to their effort but as Liverpool won the CL. If the top-4 is not split this year, the gap will only increase further, and the English league has become the same as that of Scotland (2 teams, although Hearts?) and Holland (3 teams, although Alkmaar) but with 4 teams. For a decade Arsenal and Man Utd held a duopoloy on the title and the top positions. That has been changed with Chelsea, but the top-4 if anything is now becoming more entrenched.

Redspider

Advertisement