Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP/HTML Issue

Options
  • 27-10-2006 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

I've added the auto refresh html tag <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="60"> to a php file. This redraws the page every sixty seconds.

Is there a way to refresh the page without having to redraw it. Just trying to avoid the flicker that occurs with autorefresh and for the page to auto update without redrawing the whole page

Trying to avoid javascript if i can

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The only way to do that would be an AJAX script. HTML alone won't allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

You just want to update a section of it, like the news section or something, rather than the whole page?

I'm thinking a bit of AJAX might be the answer, but not if you strictly want to avoid javascript.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

I don't want to update a specific section on the page. It's a report page that gets updated while the application I'm using is running. When the application stops running the report page is finished as well.

My idea was that this report would autoupdate while the application was running instead of having to hit the refresh button when i wanted to see the latest results.

The company is trying to use as little as possible of javascript if it can be done in php/html but it looks like I'd need javascript in order to do this autoupdate

I might just use the auto refresh option in html and increase the refresh time so that it doesnt refresh as often. The downfall of the auto refresh is that you could be at the end of the report looking at results and the auto refresh brings you back to the top.

Thanks for your help folks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Nope - PHP/xHTML is strictly request-response based stuff. AJAX is your man, works very well - no reason to fear JS these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Trying to avoid javascript if i can
    Why?

I just saw on Sourceforge.net that they have a project AJAX without Javascript:
    ZK Project wrote:
    ZK is Ajax Java Web framework enabling rich UI for Web apps with no JavaScript and little programming. With event-driven feature-rich components, developing as simple as programming desktops. With markup language, designing as simple as authoring HTML.
    It's #2 in the list of Sourceforge Top 25 Projects (in the quarterly email newsletter I just received).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

AJAX without JavaScript is AAX!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

kbannon wrote:
    AJAX without JavaScript is AAX!
    Yeah and doesn't work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

If it a small area which needs refreshing you could insert it as an iframe and have that auto-refreshing. Then you don't need the rest of the page reloading.

If you have links in the frame you may need JS though.

Advertisement