Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me with drum recording.

Options
  • 27-10-2006 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Ok for the last while ive been running all the mics through a mixer and then running that into one track but i want more controll over the levels and so forth. I want to basicly record all the various parts of the drums into different tracks in my sequencer but i honestly wouldnt know how to go about doing it which is where you guys come in.

At present i have a good computer ableton live 6 and a line 6 toneport(surprisingly good btw) i have 7 drum mics and a mixer with just enough channels for the mics.Now i know i need to get more ins but i dunno what im really looking for, any recomendations? the cheaper the better btw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Tuitser

Either trade in your desk and put up a bit more money towards a Mackie Onyx 1640 or 800R or else buy a Firewire interface! You can get good and bad ones with lots or little inputs but I recommend the Edirol FA101!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Patricide wrote:
    Now i know i need to get more ins but i dunno what im really looking for, any recomendations? the cheaper the better btw.

That's the key point here. Your budget. If you want to save as much as possible then I'd suggest looking at the used market for something like a digidesign 001. Not amazing but it will absolutely do a more than adequate job. You could definitely get one for less than €200 with a little looking (God bless eBay!). That will give you 8 ins and 8 outs. Or would you have a budget that could stretch a little further? What kind of mics do you have for the drums?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

frobisher wrote:
    That's the key point here. Your budget. If you want to save as much as possible then I'd suggest looking at the used market for something like a digidesign 001. Not amazing but it will absolutely do a more than adequate job. You could definitely get one for less than €200 with a little looking (God bless eBay!). That will give you 8 ins and 8 outs. Or would you have a budget that could stretch a little further? What kind of mics do you have for the drums?

See thats the thing im on a budget of around lets say 300 max as im gonna be saving up for a bit for it anyway, i have the surprisingly good fame 7 mic drum kit thats in musicstore. The oveerheads in particular are unreal especially considering that there TINY.In the mean time i shal look in to the digidesign.

Ok just after checking out the digidesign and i dont really get how it works it claims it has 8 analogue ins and 8 analogue outs but all i see in the front are 2 ins, at the back theres a load of 1/4 inch jacks which i assume are the ins and outs mentioned but twould be a balls considerin all me mic leads are xlr,

So anyway next thing, i plug the mics into the 001 then i plug that into the card thing that comes with it yea? I presume thats how it works. Will it work with ableton is another question and what slots need to be free on my computer for the card thing(im guessing its another sound card?)

The two front inputs are XLR pre-amps, the ones on the back would be feed from your mixer rather than directly from the mics. It needs a free PCI slot on your PC. Ableton should work without any problems with a Digi 001.

• Advertisement

then tis no good cause the mixer sends it to the yolk with the drums as one signal of audo therefore it wouldnt be able to split em up again.

Patricide wrote:
    then tis no good cause the mixer sends it to the yolk with the drums as one signal of audo therefore it wouldnt be able to split em up again.
    Maybe the mixer has more options than you realise. Does it have direct outputs beside the line input of each channel? Or even insert points? (not as ideal but they would do the job) If you're not sure, give me the model number and I'll check it online for you.

Trying to get multiple XLR inputs might prove to be pretty damn difficult

Advertisement