Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor mans beer.

Options
  • 27-10-2006 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭

Now that the Gardai are actually out and about on the drink drive prowl, does anyonw know of anywhere serving draught beer of the non-alcohol variety.

I see a few pubs in Letterkenny serving beck-non alcohol bottles, but that doesn't suit my psychologically manly image of a pint of something in my hand. Rather than sticking to soft drinks I'd prefenr to have a pint of beer even if non-alcoholic.

I know some will suggest that the non-alcholic varities taste like a drunken sailors piss, but I find it just as tasteless as the alcoholic equivalent. the exception being of course that after four or five alcoholic beers, you couldn't care less.

I remember a place serving draught Kaliber years ago. Anywhere in the north west serving such like? Or Does anyone else prefer to stick to football special instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Taxi, bus or a walk out of the question?

Never heard of non-alcoholic draught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

draught not available in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Goodshape wrote:
    Taxi, bus or a walk out of the question?

Never heard of non-alcoholic draught.

Last Taxi I got was €8 for less than one km. However none of the above applies if you go out to a club in Donegal and then have to get up very early to drive to Dublin in the morning. Don't fancy a three hour drive with remnants of alcohol coursing through my system four hours after getting home.

draught not available in this country

Definitely got Draught Kaliber in a pub in Cavan town a few years ago. I guess Cavan people won't pay out the extra money for the alcohol!

As for the price of a pint of coke - well what can you say....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

ive never seen non-alcoholic draught anywhere in this country..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I really don't think there is a market for it. Not a worthwhile one anyway. And this notion of beer being tasteless? Heresy I tells ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

No one does draught non alcohol. Many pubs still do not stock even the bottles. You may or may not know anyway that Diageo in particular are forcing pubs to take out Draught Taps as there is a better margin on bottles and sales have been dwindling on pints particularly in clubs and busier bars.

Not sure how many accidents have been caused at 10am by drunk drivers but have seen more breathalysers at this time of the moring than at night and I drive a lot at ball times of day and night.. if the same Gardai worked night shifts the effect would actually reduce fatal accidents like its meant to.

Keeps their detection rates up, without having to bother with "unsociable hours". The fact that it probably saves alot less lives seems to be secondary to the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Can we keep the posts/comments on topic - the availibilty or otherwise of non alcoholic beer.

Thank you for your cooperation and enjoy the rest of your flight :rolleyes:

il gatto wrote:
    I really don't think there is a market for it. Not a worthwhile one anyway. And this notion of beer being tasteless? Heresy I tells ya.

I actually believe that there is a un underlying market for it that would come out of the woodwork if the product was there. I base this on the fact that I and other people I know when out driving at home drink the becks non-alcohol. I know that one particular establishement in Letterkenny started stocking it in their bar because one of my acquantances has an influence there.

Given the higher dependence in the NW on car travel, I say it might be more of an option than say dublin with the public transport infrastructure.

• Advertisement

It's a good idea, but I don't think there's a will on behalf of the manufacturers/distributers to push non-alcoholic beer. I always said I'd never drink it, but these days I either don't have a lift, or I refuse to pay €16 for a six mile journey in a taxi, so if it was available, I'm sure I'd drink it from time to time.

Advertisement