Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sunglasses...

Options
  • 27-10-2006 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Okay just thought I'd throw this out here.
    It's a peeve I have about Irish drivers and their seeming reluctance to don a pair of sunnies while driving in late autumn/winter/early spring.
    When I'm a passenger on a day where the sun is low in the sky, I'll keep a count of the number of passing cars where people have shades on and those that are squinting with their head stuck up behind the sun visor; it usually around 4:1...ie in one of every five drivers will have sunglasses on.

Now it seems to me that being sunblinded is probably a contributor to a lot of road accidents and that visors while helping a bit, don't reduce glare off a wet road or reflections from other cars' windscreens, so why is it that a lot of drivers seemingly refuse to wear a pair? I'm pretty sure that come the summer, there'd be more drivers wearing them when there is less need (sun higher in the sky most of the day)...do Irish drivers think they look silly in shades? Is it just laziness or ignorance or what?

Please, no jokes about Irish weather and the lack of sun.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Probably laziness or being ill-prepared. I keep sunglasses in the car all the time, just in case.
    Especially on some winter evenings when it's dry there can be a serious glare out.
    I notice the lack of it aswell. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Different people have differing susceptibility to glare. I almost never need to wear sunglasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I always have a pair in the car. Was wearing them earlier in fact in the brief break from the gloom :D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I wear them regularly - find that my eyes are suceptible to glare. Being prescription lenses I often end up leaving them on for a bit longer than necessary...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

This time of year particularly I wear them regularly. I drive due east to work and due west home in the evening. Couldn't be without them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I always have a pair in the car. Wear them anytime I need to, even on an overcast day there can be a lot of glare and I will put them on.

Not too worried what people think, I'm more worried about being comfortable and driving safely..

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yeah I find that overcast days too tend to be very bright and that a not-so-dark pair make it more comfortable to drive with and "even out" the daylight....handy for people who like to stand on their brake pedal at traffic lights too...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The reason why so few Irish drivers (as opposed to Italians, for example) wear sunglasses is that, according to the cool-code, you have to hang your elbow out the window at the same time ...THAT just doesn't work in this shyte weather, now does it?

:D:D:D

joking aside ...I even got myself a little stick-on sunglass case (so I don't have to rummage around the glove box) for the dashboard and have a dedicated pair of sunglasses in every vehicle.

Would actually wear them more in winter than in summer, sun being low and all that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

peasant wrote:
    The reason why so few Irish drivers (as opposed to Italians, for example) wear sunglasses is that, according to the cool-code, you have to hang your elbow out the window at the same time ...THAT just doesn't work in this shyte weather, now does it?

:D:D:D

Yes it does :D - Having an automatic helps too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I tried to drive with them but I found it decreased my overall vision and comfort with what I'm actually seeing. I must try them again and try and get used to wearing them. They also didn't really help with any of the glare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement