Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Usb And Ieee 1394

Options
  • 27-10-2006 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

I am in the middle of building my PC and I have come across a few probs. I have 4 USB slots and 1 IEEE 1394 slot on the motherboard. The Case as 2usb and 1IEEE built in to it but the cables will not reach the Mobo. Is there an extension i can get for this. Also can i fit a second IEEE to that like is it possible to have 2IEEE connections going into the motherboard? and the same with the USB cable.

Also the fan had a 3pin connecter with only one pin being used. Fan for the Rear and front have 3 male pins coming out of the mobo. y is this is it so i coule stick the sensor of another fan in to the one connection and it will operate both fans at once????

There a speaker on the bottom of the case but i have no idea where in the motherboard it hooks up to. I have a Intel D975xbx mobo.

cheers
    kevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

As for the extender cable i have no idea tbh. For hooking up the usb and firewire ( 1394 ) to the motherboard This whould be fine, as long as your motherboard has the connectors for them ( check your motherboard manual )

As for the fan witn a 3 oin connector and only one being used, Do you mean that the cable to the connector is only compostied of 1 single cable ?

As for the speaker if you look at the bottom rigth hand corner fo your motherboard there are lots of little pins sticking out. These pins are usually labeled on the pcb of the motherboiard. If you have a close look you should see one saying spkr , which is speaker, Just connect it to the pins and it will be fine. If you are unsure just look at the motherboard manual and it will atell you. If you dont have the manual just check the manufactures website and your manual will be available for download. If it isnt take a picture ( close up ) of where the pins are and we shall tell you where to plug it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kryan1

Yea, sorry thats what i ment. There is only one signal wire out of the fan and it is connected to a 3pin plug which only one pin is occupied.
    The USB so would it be ok if i tee it off and have 2usb connections pluged into the one connection on the board and the same with the fire wire???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

yep :)

As for the fan it just means its a power wire. the other two are temprature and speed control. It just means your fan runs at a constant speed the whole time :)

Have a look on your motherboard, and see how many headers there are ( these are what the case usb and firewire ( 1394 ) cables will be plugged into.

But as i said check yoru motherboard manual. it will tell you everythin gyou need.

But as a reference my current motherboard has 6 usb ports and 1 firewire. but my case has another 4 usb ports and 1 firewire. Which connect to the motherboard fine. And work perfectely, Even though i never use more then 1 firewire port at a time. Come to think of it, ive only ever used the firewire port once :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kryan1

Got it sorted thanks a million for your help...

Advertisement