Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israel/Hezbollah/war crimes etc

Options
  • 27-10-2006 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭

By Frederico wouldn't have attacked them in the first place. From a military standpoint how about the IDF grow a pair and go in and fight Hezbollah instead of Nazi Germany-esque raising towns to the ground. They just flattened the place with little or no regard for human casualties, despite what the well groomed special media propaganda guys were saying

Pretty sure that's exactly what happened,that link that Nacho Libre provided has an Israeli Major talking about that point specifically.They didn't just flatten towns,they targeted infastructure along with buildings being used by Hezbollah fighters.
    Did the campaign work?I don't think so.Israel did a lot of damage to Hezbollah assets and certainly weakened it.However,there were a lot of logistical problems and they suffered because of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frederico

Pretty sure that's exactly what happened,that link that Nacho Libre provided has an Israeli Major talking about that point specifically.They didn't just flatten towns,they targeted infastructure along with buildings being used by Hezbollah fighters.
    Did the campaign work?I don't think so.Israel did a lot of damage to Hezbollah assets and certainly weakened it.However,there were a lot of logistical problems and they suffered because of it.

They went into southern Beirut? not to my memory, they just bombed the hell out of it. They weren't only trying to root out Hezbollah, they were also punishing the civilians of Lebanon, its quite obvious, I don't think many have dared to say that in the media. Well they'd been planning this for well over a year I'd say so, I don't feel very sorry for them.

I had alot of respect for the IDF as a military force, but that has since evaporated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Frederico wrote:
    They went into southern Beirut? not to my memory, they just bombed the hell out of it. They weren't only trying to root out Hezbollah, they were also punishing the civilians of Lebanon, its quite obvious, I don't think many have dared to say that in the media. Well they'd been planning this for well over a year I'd say so, I don't feel very sorry for them.

I had alot of respect for the IDF as a military force, but that has since evaporated.
    Given the logistical problems Israel had during the war i don't think it was a well planned out action.I think a lot of the bombings in civilain areas by the Israelis had to do with Hezbollah launching rockets from there.Do i agree with the scale of infastructure bombed by the Israelis.I'd have to say no,i think that there is truth in what you say about them punishing the Lebanese by destroying their infastructure.But i don't agree that they delibrately targeted civilians.No remotely competant military planner would think that that would have any benefits to their objectives and no western army can get away with that sort of carry-on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

No remotely competant military planner would think that that would have any benefits to their objectives and no western army can get away with that sort of carry-on.
    They wouldn't necessarily be military objectives (to bombing civilian areas) rather, political ones.
    - to terrorize the local population

But what makes you say that a western army couldn't get away with it?
    Can you think of any examples when a western army didn't get away with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭FYI

I think a lot of the bombings in civilain areas by the Israelis had to do with Hezbollah launching rockets from there.

There you go re-writing history again.

"Israeli forces have systematically failed to distinguish between combatants and civilians in their military campaign against Hezbollah in Lebanon, Human Rights Watch said in report released today. The pattern of attacks in more than 20 cases investigated by Human Rights Watch researchers in Lebanon indicates that the failures cannot be dismissed as mere accidents and cannot be blamed on wrongful Hezbollah practices."

http://hrw.org/english/docs/2006/08/02/lebano13902.htm

FYI wrote:
    There you go re-writing history again.

"Israeli forces have systematically failed to distinguish between combatants and civilians in their military campaign against Hezbollah in Lebanon, Human Rights Watch said in report released today. The pattern of attacks in more than 20 cases investigated by Human Rights Watch researchers in Lebanon indicates that the failures cannot be dismissed as mere accidents and cannot be blamed on wrongful Hezbollah practices."

I'm not rewriting history,it's a plain fact that Hezbollah was using urban areas for launching rockets.There's no debating that,it's well documented.Whether you consider it wrongful or not for Hezbollah to do that,that's your opinion.How much distinguishing did Hezbollah do in it's rocket attacks?

• Advertisement

I'm not rewriting history,it's a plain fact that Hezbollah was using urban areas for launching rockets.There's no debating that,it's well documented.

Well that is a convincing argument.

Here's more +evidence+ (god forbid you provide some):

"In fact, of the 24 incidents they document, HRW researchers could find no evidence that Hizbullah was operating in or near the areas that were attacked by the Israeli air force. Roth states: "The image that Israel has promoted of such [human] shielding as the cause of so high a civilian death toll is wrong. In the many cases of civilian deaths examined by Human Rights Watch, the location of Hezbollah troops and arms had nothing to do with the deaths because there was no Hezbollah around.""

The whole article is worth reading:

http://www.counterpunch.org/cook08032006.html

RedPlanet wrote:
    They wouldn't necessarily be military objectives (to bombing civilian areas) rather, political ones.
    - to terrorize the local population

But what makes you say that a western army couldn't get away with it?
    Can you think of any examples when a western army didn't get away with it?
    Mainly the huge amount of media scrutiny that an western army that operates, for example the Coaltion forces in Iraq, are under.i accept that civilians are going to die when you bmob targets in built up areas and that mistakes are made.But the suggestion that civilians are delibrately targeted by,in this instance Israel,makes little sense.I don't claim to have been party to the planning of any operations obviously,but that style of attack is very counterproductive to an army and miltary planners know this.It accomplishes little byway of destroying strategic objectives and reflects very negatively on your forces in the court international opinion.

Well at least you are willing to accept you have no basis for your assertion other than you believe Israel and the IDF to be a completely benign force.

FYI wrote:
    Well at least you are willing to accept you have no basis for your assertion other than you believe Israel and the IDF to be a completely benign force.
    I don't believe them to be a completely beniegn force,i believe they are a professional military.One which can see that delibrately killing civilians does little to advance their military objectives

FYI wrote:
    Well that is a convincing argument.

Here's more +evidence+ (god forbid you provide some):

"In fact, of the 24 incidents they document, HRW researchers could find no evidence that Hizbullah was operating in or near the areas that were attacked by the Israeli air force. Roth states: "The image that Israel has promoted of such [human] shielding as the cause of so high a civilian death toll is wrong. In the many cases of civilian deaths examined by Human Rights
    Watch, the location of Hezbollah troops and arms had nothing to do with the deaths because there was no Hezbollah around.""

The whole article is worth reading:

http://www.counterpunch.org/cook08032006.html

Here's a quote from your article
    From http://www.counterpunch.org/cook08032006.html Although we should not romanticise Hizbullah, equally we should not be quick to demonise it either: unless there is convincing evidence suggesting it has been firing on civilian targets.
    Here's what HRW had to say:
    From http://www.hrw.org/english/docs/2006/07/18/lebano13760.htm Hezbollah's attacks in Israel on Sunday and Monday were at best indiscriminate attacks in civilian areas, at worst the deliberate targeting of civilians. Either way, they were serious violations of international humanitarian law and probable war crimes, Human Rights Watch said today.In addition, the warheads used suggest a desire to maximize harm to civilians. Some of the rockets launched against Haifa over the past two days contained hundreds of metal ball bearings that are of limited use against military targets but cause great harm to civilians and civilian property. The ball bearings lodge in the body and cause serious harm.

• Advertisement

I don't believe them to be a completely beniegn force,i believe they are a professional military.One which can see that delibrately killing civilians does little to advance their military objectives

Because no 'professional military' outfit have ever targeted civilians. And there is no objective benefit from targeting civilians. That's the clincher.

Yugoslavia
    http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0126-05.htm

Iraq
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/03/28/1048653831622.html

Sudan
    http://hrw.org/english/docs/1998/09/16/sudan1301.htm

etc etc

Still your lack of evidence or argument is evident.

FYI wrote:
    Because no 'professional military' outfit have ever targeted civilians. And there is no objective benefit from targeting civilians. That's the clincher.

Still your lack of evidence or argument is evident.

My arguement is that Israel has not been deliberately targeting civilians.Here's a quote from an article written by Jonathon Cook in which an HRW representative is being interviewed:
    From http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article5698.shtmlThe most egregious example is to be found in a post-war interview between the New York Times and a senior HRW researcher, Peter Bouckaert, about a recent report, "Fatal strikes", in which the organisation provides evidence that Israel fired indiscriminately on Lebanese civilians during the fighting.

Rather than concentrating on HRW's findings of war crimes in Lebanon -- the focus of the research -- Bouckaert digresses: "I mean, it's perfectly clear that Hezbollah is directly targeting civilians, and that their aim is to kill Israeli civilians. We don't accuse the Israeli army of deliberately trying to kill civilians. Our accusation, clearly stated in the report, is that the Israeli army is not taking the necessary precautions to distinguish between civilian and military targets. So, there is a difference in intent between the two sides. At the same time, they are both violating the Geneva Convention."

Fom http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0126-05.htm JEREMY SCAHILL: General Clark, on that issue of the bombing of Radio Television Serbia, Amnesty International called it a war crime.

GENERAL WESLEY CLARK: Excuse me -- I'm not --

JEREMY SCAHILL: Amnesty called it a war crime and it's condemned by all journalist organizations in the world. It killed makeup artists.

GENERAL WESLEY CLARK: I want to answer this fellow. Because the truth was that that -- first of all, we gave warnings to Milosevic that that was going to be struck. I personally called the CNN reporter and had it set up so that it would be leaked, and Milosevic knew. He had the warning because after he got the warning, he actually ordered the western journalists to report there as a way of showing us his power, and we had done it deliberately to sort of get him accustomed to the fact that he better start evacuating it. There were actually six people who were killed, as I recall.

JEREMY SCAHILL: There were 16.

GENERAL WESLEY CLARK: I recall six.

JEREMY SCAHILL: I was there at the time and I knew the families. They do hold Milosevic accountable and they also hold you accountable, sir.

GENERAL WESLEY CLARK: They were ordered to stay there.

JEREMY SCAHILL: And they were makeup artists, and they were engineers, and they were technicians

GENERAL WESLEY CLARK: I remember reading the story, but I want to tell you about it.

JEREMY SCAHILL: Amnesty International said you committed a war crime by bombing that.

GENERAL WESLEY CLARK: It was all looked at by the International Criminal Tribunal crime by Yugoslavia. All of my actions were examined and they were all upheld by the highest law in the United States.

JEREMY SCAHILL: And you think a media outlet is a legitimate target?

GENERAL WESLEY CLARK: No, but when it is used as command and control, it is. But then

JEREMY SCAHILL: Even if it kills…

GENERAL WESLEY CLARK: Now wait a minute, you have to let me finish and then I will let you finish.

JEREMY SCAHILL: Go ahead.

GENERAL WESLEY CLARK: What I said is, we would give them the warnings. It was part of the command and control systems. It was approved as a legitimate target under the laws of land warfare and went through the U.S. Government. That was the basis on which we struck. We actually called the bombers back one time, because there was still -- it was still unclear to us that we weren't absolutely certain. What we know is that Milosevic ordered them to stay there, and it was wrong, but I was doing my duty, and I have been looked at by the law, so -- I mean, I respect Amnesty International. I think they're a good organization, but --

JEREMY SCAHILL: But do you feel any remorse for the killing of civilians that you essentially were overseeing?

GENERAL WESLEY CLARK: Yes, I do.

That's off the first link you put up.This feeds into what i have been saying,no professional army nowadays sets it's goal at the deliberate killing of civilians.Mistakes happen,it's a tradegy.No doubt about it,but that's the nature of war,especially when it's being fought in an urban setting.
    You've accused me off provideing no evidence of my claims.let me ask you,do you have any evidence of a policy of deliberate targeting of civilians by Israel,the US or any other western army currently engaged in operations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

That's off the first link you put up.This feeds into what i have been saying,no professional army nowadays sets it's goal at the deliberate killing of civilians.Mistakes happen,it's a tradegy.No doubt about it,but that's the nature of war,especially when it's being fought in an urban setting.
    You've accused me off provideing no evidence of my claims.let me ask you,do you have any evidence of a policy of deliberate tageting of civilians by Israel,the US or any other western army currently engaged in operations?

so wesley was going to bomb whether there civilians there or not and tries to blame mislosevic

What you have basically provided there is a quote from a General who has disavowed the murder of innocent people. Not that conclusive.

AT wrote: "no professional army nowadays sets it's goal at the deliberate killing of civilians.Mistakes happen,it's a tradegy."

Well no. There are many accounts by Iraq vets who have admitted to killing innocent people. A true statement would be that "no professional army nowadays sets it's stated goal as the deliberate killing of civilians." Many of these cases are not 'mistakes'.

AT wrote:"do you have any evidence of a policy of deliberate tageting of civilians?"

I have given you evidence which you have accepted and then choosen to ignore.

HRW clearly state:

""Israeli forces have systematically failed to distinguish between combatants and civilians in their military campaign against Hezbollah in Lebanon"

The apologetics by HRW is simply semantic word play.
    My arguement is that Israel has not been deliberately targeting civilians.Here's a quote from an article written by Jonathon Cook in which an HRW representative is being interviewed:

Cook discusses this statement further here (you failed to mention this):

"First, how does Bouckaert know that Israel's failure to distinguish between civilian and military targets was simply a technical failure, a failure to take precautions, and not intentional? Was he or another HRW researcher sitting in one of the military bunkers in northern Israel when army planners pressed the button to unleash the missiles from their spy drones? Was he sitting alongside the air force pilots as they circled over Lebanon dropping their US-made bombs or tens of thousands of "cluster munitions", tiny land mines that are now sprinkled over a vast area of south Lebanon? Did he have intimate conversations with the Israeli chiefs of staff about their war strategy?

Of course not. He has no more idea than you or I what Israel's military planners and its politicians decided was necessary to achieve their war goals. In fact, he does not even know what those goals were. So why make a statement suggesting he does?"

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=22&ItemID=10920
    and in the link you provided

and more from Roth:

"“The Israeli military’s explanation of what happened raises more questions than it answers,” said Kenneth Roth, executive director of Human Rights Watch. “Crucial information is missing to determine what led the IDF to attack these civilians. Only an independent international investigation can get at that.” "

http://hrw.org/english/docs/2006/08/03/lebano13910.htm

Also noted in relation to Hezbollah:

"Hizbullah’s rockets have been targeted overwhelming at strategic locations: the northern economic hub of Haifa, its satellite towns and the array of military sites across the Galilee.

and also that "....It is obvious to everyone in Nazareth, for example, that the rockets landing close by, and once on, the city over the past week are searching out, and some have fallen extremely close to, the weapons factory sited near us.

Hizbullah seems to have as little concern for the collateral damage of civilian deaths as Israel -- each wants the balance of terror in its favour -- but it is nonsense to suggest that Hizbullah’s goals are any more ignoble than Israel’s."

Ok lets get into this then.
    With regards Wesley Clark,as he states in that interview,his actions were fully investigated by the International Criminal Court and there was no finding of wrong doing on his part (with him being responsible for the military actions of his command)
    By FYIWhat you have basically provided there is a quote from a General who has disavowed the murder of innocent people. Not that conclusive.

AT wrote: "no professional army nowadays sets it's goal at the deliberate killing of civilians.Mistakes happen,it's a tradegy."

Well no. There are many accounts by Iraq vets who have admitted to killing innocent people. A true statement would be that "no professional army nowadays sets it's stated goal as the deliberate killing of civilians." Many of these cases are not 'mistakes'.

AT wrote:"do you have any evidence of a policy of deliberate tageting of civilians?"

I have given you evidence which you have accepted and then choosen to ignore.

HRW clearly state:

""Israeli forces have systematically failed to distinguish between combatants and civilians in their military campaign against Hezbollah in Lebanon"

The apologetics by HRW is simply semantic word play.
    You have no evidence of this whatsoever and the links you provided fail to support your claims.I took exerpts from said links and used them in my post.You,on the otherhand,have merely posted the links,provided no indication of where your arguement lies in said link and have given no evidence of supposed deliberate targeting.
    I also like how you can accuse HRW of semantic wordplay on one hand and yet on a previous post use their findings as a basis for your claims deliberate targeting.
    By FYI]There you go re-writing history again.

First, how does Bouckaert know that Israel's failure to distinguish between civilian and military targets was simply a technical failure, a failure to take precautions, and not intentional? Was he or another HRW researcher sitting in one of the military bunkers in northern Israel when army planners pressed the button to unleash the missiles from their spy drones? Was he sitting alongside the air force pilots as they circled over Lebanon dropping their US-made bombs or tens of thousands of "cluster munitions", tiny land mines that are now sprinkled over a vast area of south Lebanon? Did he have intimate conversations with the Israeli chiefs of staff about their war strategy?

Of course not. He has no more idea than you or I what Israel's military planners and its politicians decided was necessary to achieve their war goals. In fact, he does not even know what those goals were. So why make a statement suggesting he does?"
    So how can he go on to claim such deliberate targeting.Works both ways on that one.The difference with HRW is that they are an international recognised organisation who did investigations on the ground in Lebanon,which gives their assertions that bit more weight.
    "Hizbullah’s rockets have been targeted overwhelming at strategic locations: the northern economic hub of Haifa, its satellite towns and the array of military sites across the Galilee.
    Does the use of anti-personnel warheads constitute a strategic attack?Their use btw was reported by HRW:http://www.hrw.org/english/docs/2006...ebano13760.htm

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've moved all this out of the Iran thread, as it's off-topic there.

Ok lets get into this then.
    With regards Wesley Clark,as he states in that interview,his actions were fully investigated by the International Criminal Court and there was no finding of wrong doing on his part (with him being responsible for the military actions of his command)

You have no evidence of this whatsoever and the links you provided fail to support your claims.I took exerpts from said links and used them in my post.You,on the otherhand,have merely posted the links,provided no indication of where your arguement lies in said link and have given no evidence of supposed deliberate targeting.
    I also like how you can accuse HRW of semantic wordplay on one hand and yet on a previous post use their findings as a basis for your claims deliberate targeting.

So how can he go on to claim such deliberate targeting.Works both ways on that one.The difference with HRW is that they are an international recognised organisation who did investigations on the ground in Lebanon,which gives their assertions that bit more weight.

Does the use of anti-personnel warheads constitute a strategic attack?Their use btw was reported by HRW:http://www.hrw.org/english/docs/2006...ebano13760.htm

One at a time then:

"Findings

The Members of the International War Crimes Tribunal find the accused Guilty on the basis of the evidence against them and that each of the nineteen separate crimes alleged in the Initial Complaint has been established to have been committed beyond a reasonable doubt. These are:

1. Planning and Executing the Dismemberment, Segregation and Impoverishment of Yugoslavia.

2. Inflicting, Inciting and Enhancing Violence Between and Among Muslims and Slavs.

3. Disrupting Efforts to Maintain Unity, Peace and Stability in Yugoslavia.

4. Destroying the Peace-Making Role of the United Nations.

5. Using NATO for Military Aggression Against, and Occupation of, Non-Compliant Poor Countries.

6. Killing and Injuring a Defenseless Population throughout Yugoslavia.

7. Planning, Announcing and Executing Attacks Intended to Assassinate the Head of Government, Other Government Leaders and Selected Civilians in Yugoslavia.

8. Destroying and Damaging Economic, Social, Cultural, Medical, Diplomatic -- including the Embassy of the People’s Republic of China and other embassies -- and Religious Resources, Properties and Facilities throughout Yugoslavia. 9 Attacking Objects Indispensable to the Survival of the Population of Yugoslavia.

10. Attacking Facilities Containing Dangerous Substances and Forces.

11. Using Depleted Uranium, Cluster Bombs and Other Prohibited Weapons.

12. Waging War on the Environment.

13. Imposing Sanctions through the United Nations that are a Genocidal Crime Against Humanity.

14. Creating an Illegal Ad-Hoc Criminal Tribunal to Destroy and Demonize the Serbian Leadership. The Illegitimacy of this Tribunal is Further Demonstrated by Its Failure to Bring Any Case Regarding the Oppression of the Romani People, Who Have Suffered the Highest Rate of Casualties of Any People in the Region.

15. Using Controlled International Media to Create and Maintain Support for the U.S. Assault and to Demonize Yugoslavia, Slavs, Serbs and Muslims as Genocidal Murderers.

16. Establishing the Long-Term Military Occupation of Strategic Parts of Yugoslavia by NATO Forces.

17. Attempting to Destroy the Sovereignty, Right to Self-Determination, Democracy and Culture of the Slavic, Muslim, Roma and Other People’s of Yugoslavia.

18. Seeking to Establish U.S. Domination and Control of Yugoslavia and to Exploit Its People and Resources.

19. Using the Means of Military Force and Economic Coercion in Order to Achieve U.S. Domination.

The Members hold NATO, the NATO states and their leaders accountable for their criminal acts and condemn those found guilty in the strongest possible terms. The Members condemn the NATO bombardments, denounce the international crimes and violations of international humanitarian law committed by the armed attack and through other means such as economic sanctions. NATO has acted lawlessly and has attempted to abolish international law. "

http://www.iacenter.org/warcrime/wct2000.htm

"US TROOPS ADMIT SHOOTING IRAQI CIVILIANS

Jun 19 2003
    By Naveed Raja

American troops today admitted they routinely gun down Iraqi civilians - some of whom are entirely innocent.

As distrust of the invading forces increases amongst the local population US soldiers said they have killed civilians without hesitation, shot injured opponents and abandoned them to die in agony.

The testimonies of the troops on the ground further expose George Bush's claims about the role his forces are playing in the failing reconstruction of Iraq."

http://www.veteransforpeace.org/us_roops_admit_061903.htm

You see the problem is you seem unable to understand the politics of HRW's position:

"Israeli forces have systematically failed to distinguish between combatants and civilians in their military campaign against Hezbollah in Lebanon"

This is tantamount to saying 'deliberate', but political forces leave them unable to state this so +you+ can understand. Read it again: "systematically failed" this either means that it is deliberate or the IDF are completely incompetent.

AT wrote:

"You have no evidence of this whatsoever and the links you provided fail to support your claims."

Thats rich coming from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,779 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

In the article you linked to the Major being interviewed had this to say:
    "Taylor says the one tactical area where the IDF has been particularly effective is also the area where they've been the most criticized: Attacks on villages where they believe Hezbollah supplies are stockpiled.

"The villages are used as logistic bases," he says, "but they usually fight from bunkers in outlying areas. They have tunnel systems with camouflaged entry points where they can enter in one place and exit somewhere else. We've been fairly successful at cutting off the supplies from the villages, which forces them to come out eventually."

The way to fight Hezbollah, he says, is to outlast them in a war of nerves."
    What other way is an army meant to combat a force that operates in built up urban areas and uses civilian infastructure for it's operations?

Where does he actually say hezbollah used civilian infrastructure for their operations?
    He does say they fight from outlying aeras. The IDF has army bases, and military resources in some Israeli cities and towns. would that give Syria the right, if Syria was attacked by israel, to bomb these, knowing it would harm their logistical bases but also kill many civilians who lived near by?
    To flatten villages to the ground did not win Israel the war or weaken Hezbollah significantly. Hezbollah is even more popular now than before the war.

Thanks for the move OscarBravo.
    First off,these "findings" of yours of war crimes weren't made by any internationally recognised court of law.The website you got that list off is maintained by the International Action Center,which is,to qoute off Wikipedia
    Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Action_Center The International Action Center (IAC) is a radical activist group founded by former United States Attorney General Ramsey Clark. It has a sister organization with similar goals, the All People's Congress (APC), which runs most of its offices, and a bookstore, Normals Books and Records in Baltimore, MD, which specializes in politically radical literature.
    So what we have here is you using a radical website to purport to represent an actual legal verdict of war crimes on Wesley Clark and other members of NATO governments.Nice

As for the headline "US TROOPS ADMIT SHOOTING IRAQI CIVILIANS" on that page,there are quotes from 2 soldiers who say they have shot Iraqi civilians.There are no collaborating details in this article,like what unit they were in,where they were stationed,when these shootings took place etc.Also they talk about the difficulty of distinguishing enemy combatants from civilians because the enemy was dressd the same as the civilian populace.

So you are using the words of an article claiming to quote 2 soldiers to give the impression that the US army as a whole is deliberately killing civilians
    By FYI You see the problem is you seem unable to understand the politics of HRW's position:

"Israeli forces have systematically failed to distinguish between combatants and civilians in their military campaign against Hezbollah in Lebanon"

This is tantamount to saying 'deliberate', but political forces leave them unable to state this so +you+ can understand. Read it again: "systematically failed" this either means that it is deliberate or the IDF are completely incompetent.
    So now you are telling us what the HRW meant to say?From what i've read from the HRW before,they don't seem to have too much difficult expressing their findings in clear,non-political statements.
    My original statement stands:

"You have no evidence of this whatsoever and the links you provided fail to support your claims."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

wow abusedtoilets is a time travellor he's stuck in september

?

What do you mean?

are you pointing out he is new to this forum?
    or, are you suggesting he is rehashing the same old argument time and again?

What do you mean?

are you pointing out he is new to this forum?
    or, are you suggesting he is rehashing the same old argument time and again?
    Way to add to the debate :rolleyes:

Thanks for the move OscarBravo.
    First off,these "findings" of yours of war crimes weren't made by any internationally recognised court of law.The website you got that list off is maintained by the International Action Center,which is,to qoute off Wikipedia
    So what we have here is you using a radical website to purport to represent an actual legal verdict of war crimes on Wesley Clark and other members of NATO governments.Nice

No that's what Clark won't tell you. In actuality the case is much more complicated:

"Nato has defended its bombing of Serbia's state television station, saying it was a legitimate target and a "ministry of lies"."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/326653.stm

Other findings still stand:

"Amnesty International, among others, reported that "NATO committed serious violations of the rules of war during it's campaign""

If you genuinely accept the ICC's findings then I suggest you have a look at their findings for Nicaragua vs. US.

The reality is you used a statement by a military general to confirm 'professional armies' only make mistakes. What happened in Hiroshima?

"The committee rejected the use of the weapon against a strictly military objective because of the chance of missing a small target not surrounded by a larger urban area. The psychological effects on Japan were of great importance to the committee members."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki
    So you are using the words of an article claiming to quote 2 soldiers to give the impression that the US army as a whole is deliberately killing civilians

No. You asked for proof of the statement I made. If you re-read it you'll understand. Here's more:

"The most shocking revelation in the Newsnight film concerned the carrying of shovels and AK-47 rifles on US patrol vehicles - these were regularly dumped beside bodies to give the impression that they had been planting roadside bombs. Casey explained the orders he had been given:

“‘Keep shovels on the truck and an AK, and if you see anybody out here at night on the roads, shoot them. Shoot them, and if they weren’t doing anything, throw a shovel off.’ At that time when we first got down there, you could basically kill whoever you wanted - it was that easy…

“You’re driving down the road at 3 in the morning, there’s a guy on the side of the road, you shoot him… you throw a shovel off.”"

http://www.rinf.com/columnists/news/us-troops-you-could-kill-whoever-you-wanted

The BBC documentary referenced here: http://www.ivaw.org/

Remember Ishaqi:

"a report filed by Iraqi police accused US troops of rounding up and deliberately shooting 11 people in the house, including five children and four women, before blowing up the building."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5039420.stm

Then there's Haditha:

"Up to twenty-four Iraqis were subsequently killed; it is alleged that they were non-combatant local residents who were massacred by Marines in the aftermath of the insurgent attack"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haditha_massacre

and Mahmudiya:

"A US military hearing has examined testimony of how three soldiers took it in turns to try to rape an Iraqi girl aged 14 in Mahmudiya in March.

The girl and three family members were allegedly killed by four US soldiers."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5253160.stm

“The ROE (rule of engagement) was to kill all military age males on Objective Murray,” Staff Sgt. Raymond L. Girouard

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13974639/
    So now you are telling us what the HRW meant to say?From what i've read from the HRW before,they don't seem to have too much difficult expressing their findings in clear,non-political statements.
    My original statement stands:

No. Read it again: "systematically failed" this either means that it is deliberate or the IDF are completely incompetent.

systematically - In a systematic or consistent manner

systematic - Characterized by order and planning

It is crystal clear.

Have you conceded the original point?

By FYINo that's what Clark won't tell you. In actuality the case is much more complicated:

"Nato has defended its bombing of Serbia's state television station, saying it was a legitimate target and a "ministry of lies"."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/326653.stm

Other findings still stand:

"Amnesty International, among others, reported that "NATO committed serious violations of the rules of war during it's campaign""

If you genuinely accept the ICC's findings then I suggest you have a look at their findings for Nicaragua vs. US.

The reality is you used a statement by a military general to confirm 'professional armies' only make mistakes. What happened in Hiroshima?

"The committee rejected the use of the weapon against a strictly military objective because of the chance of missing a small target not surrounded by a larger urban area. The psychological effects on Japan were of great importance to the committee members."
    I'm sorry,but what? The first link you provided doesn't say anything about Wesley Clark being found guilty of war crimes,something which never happened i might add.It's an article talking about NATO reasons for bombing the TV station.There's no Case,his actions were investigated,as is standard for a military deployment,and there was no wrong doing found.If you can show me otherwise let's see it.
    And Hiroshima?What has that got to do with what we were talking about?I've said no professional,modern army would deliberate target civilians in todays world.WW2 armies were not professional,and the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki,while brutal in their destruction,probably saved millions of lives by ending the war early.

I readily accept that there have been cases where civilians have been killed,i'm not debating the veracity of that.The cases in the links you posted are all under investigation by the military,which goes back to my point.The military doesn't want it's soldiers out murdering civilians.It's not beneficial to the success of their mission hence the prosecutions.
    No. Read it again: "systematically failed" this either means that it is deliberate or the IDF are completely incompetent.

systematically - In a systematic or consistent manner

systematic - Characterized by order and planning

It is crystal clear.

Have you conceded the original point?
    I didn't realise HRW needed you to clarify what they mean.You seem to be bouncing around with their statement.One post you use it to try and say that Israel deliberately targets civilians.Then when it's shown that's what they explictly deny saying,you question their ability to come to that conclusion?
    Quote:
    From http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article5698.shtmlThe most egregious example is to be found in a post-war interview between the New York Times and a senior HRW researcher, Peter Bouckaert, about a recent report, "Fatal strikes", in which the organisation provides evidence that Israel fired indiscriminately on Lebanese civilians during the fighting.

Rather than concentrating on HRW's findings of war crimes in Lebanon -- the focus of the research -- Bouckaert digresses: "I mean, it's perfectly clear that Hezbollah is directly targeting civilians, and that their aim is to kill Israeli civilians. We don't accuse the Israeli army of deliberately trying to kill civilians. Our accusation, clearly stated in the report, is that the Israeli army is not taking the necessary precautions to distinguish between civilian and military targets. So, there is a difference in intent between the two sides. At the same time, they are both violating the Geneva Convention."

I readily accept that there have been cases where civilians have been killed,i'm not debating the veracity of that.The cases in the links you posted are all under investigation by the military,which goes back to my point.The military doesn't want it's soldiers out murdering civilians.It's not beneficial to the success of their mission hence the prosecutions.

I didn't realise HRW needed you to clarify what they mean.You seem to be bouncing around with their statement.One post you use it to try and say that Israel deliberately targets civilians.Then when it's shown that's what they explictly deny saying,you question their ability to come to that conclusion?

No army is going to officially state they intentionally kill civilians.

The question is were they pro-active in unearthing all these incidents where soliders deliberately killed civilians? or were they reactive for obvious political reasons?
    Were there any unofficial directives to kill anything that moved in hostile zones and cover up any trangressions- like planting incriminating evidence on civilians who were killed? It seems there were but you'll deny this of course because you are more of an authority on the subject than soliders and their superiors who have admitted such cover-ups did happen.

Any conclusions HRW arrive at will be couched in careful language.
    So while they didn't explicitly say Israel targeted civilians it's pretty obvious they wanted to punish civilians. I think you actually realise this as you failed
    to address my point about Israel's disproportionate use of cluster bombs in civilians aeras and the US investigation into this?
    Anyhow, I presume you were this rigorous in your skepticism about America's conclusions about the threat Iraq's WMd posed to the world? No doubt, with any U.S. statements on Iran's desire to have a nuclear bomb, you apply the same criteria as any finding by HRW;you want concrete proof- no half-truths, or unsubstantiated claims.

The first link you provided doesn't say anything about Wesley Clark being found guilty of war crimes

If that was what I was trying to do then obviously I failed. But it wasn't. I suggest you discover the reality of NATO bombing in Yugoslavia.
    And Hiroshima?What has that got to do with what we were talking about?

Oh, so armies only stopped targeting civilians.....can you give a date?

Pre-emptive war, bombing of civilian areas, collateral damage, cluster bombs. Civilians will be killed. The invasion of a soverign country is directly responsible for the murder of civilians. The insurgency is Iraq is a result of the invasion. The insurgents are essentially civilians. French resistence anyone?
    It's not beneficial to the success of their mission hence the prosecutions.

Clarification. The prosecutions are a direct result of public and international demand for one. The first link provides testimonies of murders that will never be investigated.

"systematically failed"

Do you remember the original argument?

You stated Hezbollah use civilians as human shields.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frederico

Someone care to defend the fact that Israeli jets are flying low over the population of south Beirut, what purpose does it serve??

Advertisement