Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU problem?

Options
  • 27-10-2006 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

So, we had a fried mobo on Monday, and today we got a new one, along with a new chip and PSU. Put it all together with the old ram and gfx card, in the same case, and it's intermittently losing power - it could run for a second, 30 seconds, or five minutes, then when it dies, it won't start up again for at least a few minutes...

Now, the thing that I'm wondering about is the power button on the front of the case. It seems a little loose, and depending on which was you twist the ring around it, it may or may not connect to give power. Could this be the culprit, or is there a chance that the brand new psu out of the box is faulty?

If you really want to know which mobo/chip I can look it up but just looking for general troubleshooting just now. Any suggestions?

cheers guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Is the power supply the same wattage as the old one? What brand is it? If its failing all the time, then I would say its faulty, don't know much about the switch issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Hey Ruu, didn't know if I'd see a familiar face in here ;)

The old psu was 230W and the new one is 400. The old one simply wouldn't power the new mobo. It's a better board and chip...

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

I once fitted a new mainboard and left one of the bolt receivers from the old setup underneath it shorted out the mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

That's not a reassuring story to tell me just now...!

I just pulled the front panel of the case to bits... I think there's a good chance that switch was dodgy. Is there some way that you can bypass having a connection from the board to that? Spose we'll just have to get a case tomorrow and try it out. Gah.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

It's unlikely to be the switch. The switch just shorts the two wires to start up the PSU and once it's started, the switch is redundant (no power is passing through it). You can easily bypass the switch by just shorting the two pins on the mobo with a screwdriver.

EDIT\
    Have you connected BOTH power connectors to the mobo? (most modern mobos have 2 power connectors, the main 20/24 pin ATX connector, and a second 4-pin connector for the CPU)

• Advertisement
Advertisement