Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.45 recommendation

Options
  • 27-10-2006 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭

Anyone got a recommendation for a good 45 which would be suitable for shooting practical pistol (production).

Does anyone have a Para Ordnance and if so are you happy with it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

Lovley gun. However if not cleaned like mad it will jam. Give it a good scrub and then you can expect no trouble for 400 rounds or so. Trigger is great. Quality piece. That is my experience.

Why a .45? Mag capacity is reduced and ammo. costs more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Second you Flight 93 on the Para Ord.You must have a real tight gun if it is doing that after 400 rnds.
    1911 .45 nowadays are like custom cars.What do you want it to do?Everything from a GI model to a total race gun.It just seems to me these days that a 1911 is not able to shoot straight out of the box without having another 500plus euros added onto it in tuneing and accessories.
    Would suggest Chipboard,you go to as many practical pistol matches as you can and ask to handle as many 1911s as possible,
    [this is just me,I am a hidebound traditionist when it comes to the 45,it has to be 1911 style.I personally havent found anything in another action type that I personally like.You might find a HK or Glock ,etc might suit you better]

and to as many gundealers and do the same.Difficult I know,but 1911s and especially PP mods are as individual as you are.What might be totally fine to me might be a nightmare to you.I like mine to be ambidexterous controls,as i am a leftie,tri dot sights,and high capacity.
    One thing that I learned from a couple of the top shooters is,that somtimes building your own can be a false economy.By the time you have taken a stock pistol and modified it to you.You could have bought custom and had it slighty tweaked to you.
    One thing for sure with 45s try before you buy
    Should have added if you are looking at shooting stock PP,I dont think you can use hi cap?Could be very wrong on this.?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

The current hot favs for production are the 9mm CZ SP01 and the LDA from Para, both have high mag capacity . In production you must use a gun from the current approved list ,details from the IPSC website www.ipsc.org .

In relation to the 1911 as CG rightly points out the top guns just seem to cost , you are looking at a least 1800 Euro for a 1911 that will shoot into 3 inches at 50 yds ! but Taurus have just launched a new range of 1911 in the States at a RRP of $ 599.00 with rave reviews from the likes of Wiley Clapp and others , all are very impressed with the Taurus. On a final note , in production class you are not scored major no matter what cal you shoot. All entrants are scored minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

The Para LDA in .45 is about your only option for a .45 in production division, the LDA is double action only pistol with a 14 round capacity but as Les has explained there's no advantage in shooting a .45 in this division. I shoot a 9mm LDA and I find it great, once you get used to the long reset on the trigger. It has an 18 round capacity and is very comfortable to shoot but they are expensive, 1100 sterling or there abouts.

Edit: Sorry, a Glock 21 is also an option but they're really ugly!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

cantona wrote:
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Fair enough and with a few minor tweaks you can make them a little more easy on the eye, but it's just that they won't work anymore.:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

If you are looking for a pistol in .45ACP particularly suited to practical maybe you should take a look at the HK USP Expert.
    This variation of the USP was specifically marketed towards the IPSC shooter.
    The main differentiating features over the standard USP are match trigger, adjustable rear sight, barrel O-ring (apparently improves accuracy), oversized trigger guard (handy if wearing gloves), 5" barrel, ambidextrous safety and decocking lever, and support rail for aiming units.

I paid €1150.00 for mine.

Also worth considering are Kimber's range of 1911 models, particularly the Gold Match II series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Or the HK USP tactical,all the same as the expert,[hope you have small hands]just a bit more robuster and better suited to us big ham folks..
    Kimbers can be picky too about their cleaning,especially in the 40S&W .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

USP Tactical .40 only approved for Production.
    USP Expert NOT approved

Check list on ipsc.org, go to division on left menu, then scroll down to Production Division and underneath is link to Approved guns.
    Only pistols on this list are allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Chipboard,

Don't forget you can now use fibre optic front sights in production. Check out this link from IPSC site:-

http://www.ipsc.org/pdf/RulesHandgunInterp200607.pdf

Point 11 is the part that says you can now use any open sight

I use a fibre optic on my Glock & it makes a big difference. Helps you find the front sight quicker after a shot.

Sorry Macnas but I love my Glock :D
    Still buying a HPS though just so I can give you guys a thrashing in Standard division:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement